Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Eat, fast and live longer

I first saw calorie restriction on Scientific American and thought it was interesting then. It seems like the research has come further in the last few years and the options are more diverse. I'm going to start doing two mini-fast days a week. Eat 500 calories on the fast days. I workout hard and am active on the weekends so ill be doing this on my off days. Will see how this goes.

The part about hunger causing new brain cells was pretty incredible.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

So Dean Wormer was right all along!

Fat and stupid is no way to go through life!

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    So Dean Wormer was right all along!

Fat and stupid is no way to go through life!
    What about drunk?

Interesting. Any articles that you recommend?
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Saw it last night too. The research into IF only seems to get more compelling. It worked beautifully for me when I was laid up after surgery, and I only did two 16-hr fasts and one 22ish-hr fast per week. I may give the 5/2 approach a shot, but now that I am getting back to normal activity levels eating enough on the feed days may be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    Interesting. Any articles that you recommend?
    This is what he's talking about, aired on PBS last night.
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2363162206

Basic takeaway is that the latest research indicates that you can get nearly the same benefits of eating <1200kcals/day by limiting yourself to <500 kcals two days per week with unrestricted eating the other five days. That's pretty amazing and extremely useful for people who, you know, do stuff.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-04-2013 at 11:39 AM.

If I ate any faster I'd probably start losing fingers.

Rad. Thanks, DTM.

Iceman eats commas in jeans?
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Is it still fasting if you drink on your fast days?

A lot?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This is what he's talking about, aired on PBS last night.
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2363162206

Basic takeaway is that the latest research indicates that you can get nearly the same benefits of eating <1200kcals/day by limiting yourself to <500 kcals two days per week with unrestricted eating the other five days. That's pretty amazing and extremely useful for people who, you know, do stuff.
    This was my concern too, no way I can consistantly eat less than 2000 calories a day when I workout or ski. I would like to see the people on calorie restriction compared to a person with similar body fat though and see what the difference is.

As long as you stay under 500 calories. So that allows for like 7 shots of vodka. On an empty stomach, should do ya.

I've been IF fasting for a while now. It's nice and almost freeing not having to worry about eating, to be quite honest.
    I normally fast for 16-18 hrs twice during the week and then a 21-23 hr fast on the weekend. I've gotten used to it and it's benefiting me in so many ways.
    I'm down 34lbs since October (54 all together from when DTM and I got married) and this is just one simple thing that helps with the process. When I'm at my goal weight, I'll continue to do this and tweak it to match how much I'm working out.
    Pretty awesome.
    you sketchy character, you

Saw this last night as well. It's something that I've unintentionally started doing due to a hectic schedule. After seeing the supporting evidence for IF, I plan on making a more conscious and concentrated effort to do continue doing this.

There was a thread on this topic a while back. IIRC, it was more about eating within an eight hour window than having specific fast and feed days. Does anyone have any more information on how these two approaches compare?

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post
    ... (54 all together from when DTM and I got married)...
    so is it fair to say you "misrepresented yourself" at the wedding? You're probably something like only 68% of the woman that he married!!!

Most of us guys like to "add value" to the blessed union, for example, I weigh the same as when I got married - but my body fat% has doubled! and I'm not wasting valuable time at the gym!!!!!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Any amount of stress will cause certain measurable reactions. Limiting calories can work, but it can be hard on the liver and other organs.

those 500 calories better be good shit like blueberries and green veggies.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

It's cool. Getting strangers fired is always good for the stress.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Any amount of stress will cause certain measurable reactions. Limiting calories can work, but it can be hard on the liver and other organs.
    Huh? Limiting calories is hard on your organs? You mean to the point of starvation? No one is advocating starving. There is a very big difference between not eating for a day or two and not eating for a week or being malnourished.

Today was my first day trying it. Figured I may as well jump on the bandwagon. Today I ate two tablespoons of walnuts, 8oz of spinach and 2 carrots, blended with water and a few pieces of fruit and half a serving of protein powder. The hunger was actually very easy to deal with. One thing I was reminded of is that hunger comes in waves and if you tell yourself you aren't eating for a while and don't start thinking about what to eat, it goes away.

Can't wait for breakfast though

Be careful not to masturbate too furiously while in the fasting state.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I started IF not too long ago and since then have done quite a bit of research. I've been happy with the results and the best part is you can get used to it pretty easily and just make it into a way of life. I don't even have interest in breakfast anymore if all I have to do is go into the office for the day.

Some good resources are:

Leangains
    Eat, Stop, Eat book and His Blog
    Mark's Daily Apple

My routine is somewhat of a hybrid but pretty simple; skip breakfast during the week days, just eating lunch and dinner within a 6-8 hour window (low carb, mainly Paleo). Also, one day a week, I do a 24 hour fast. On the weekends I'm extra active so I eat normally but still healthy.

Also do my workouts fasted which I think is key. Also one day I'll try and eat as many calories as I can to kick up the metabolism, mainly carbs based.

I consider a salad fasting.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I eat fast all the time. Probably going to live forever.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TuckerYorktown View Post
    Also do my workouts fasted which I think is key. Also one day I'll try and eat as many calories as I can to kick up the metabolism, mainly carbs based.
    I'm assuming you work out at the start of a fast? Can't imagine fasting all day then working out. Unless its a really easy workout.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    I eat fast all the time. Probably going to live forever.
    Yes. 5678

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I'm assuming you work out at the start of a fast? Can't imagine fasting all day then working out. Unless its a really easy workout.
    Nope, I work out at the end. Wouldn't say the workouts are easy but they are brief. I eat an early dinner traditionally and then don't eat again until lunch so I try and do my workouts over my lunch hour or before work sometimes. Usually weights or brief HIIT style. A lot of benfits to working out fasted and then eating shortly afterward.

If I'm doing a tough Crossfit style workout or skinning 10,000 feet I don't do it fasted.

The GF and I are trying this (5:2), will report back with updates.

Today is the first fast day, so far so good.