Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

2013 Shasta/Lassen conditions thread.

Figured with a shortened Eastside season and a nonexistent So. Sierra season it's time to start thinking volcanos!

I thought jimw I were going to find powder Tuesday up on Shasta but for some reason all the snow that fell decided to form a 1"+ crust that seemed to cover the entire mountain. Disappointing, but it made for very enjoyable skinning conditions and almost no one was on the mountain. Luckily the crust softened and made for good turns. We ran into a Shasta Mountain Guide (Chris) who lives in Mt Shasta. We were about 1/2 way to Red Banks when we spotted him below Helen Lake and the dude caught us. I thought it was JT at first given how fast he was moving. He too was very surprised that it wasn't powder up high. I guess sometimes you don't get what you expect. It's rare to skin all the way up to Red Banks and that's where Jim and I stopped. Chris skinned up the next slope you usually have to boot and ended up dropping trinity chutes.
    And it was hot!!! Not a breath of wind even above 12k. Bunny flat has great coverage fwiw (but it is early April and Shasta only has 70% coverage.)

We wanted to drop the Thumb Rock chutes but due to how warm it was and how much sun it was getting we decided to turn around and go down Avy Gulch. As we were sitting there our decision was justified when we spotted a large natural wet slide down by Shastarama. I decided to further justify our decision by trundling a few rocks onto the slope. The first one I dropped started an awfully large wet slide.

Pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1956.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	464.0 KB 
ID:	135897

Name:	IMG_1957.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	485.0 KB 
ID:	135898

Trinity/Red Banks coverage:

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	401.5 KB 
ID:	135902

What we wanted to drop:

Name:	IMG_1963.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	376.7 KB 
ID:	135899

Slide started from the first rock I rolled with the natural next to it on the right:

Name:	IMG_1964-2.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	407.5 KB 
ID:	135900

Trail of rock and carnage below:

Name:	IMG_1965.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	515.9 KB 
ID:	135901

Cool. Let's keep this going for those considering road trips this spring.

Nice BG!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Cool. Let's keep this going for those considering road trips this spring.
    Totally. I'm heading south at the end of May, hope it isn't burn by then.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

I am definitely looking for climbing partners for April or May. If anyone's down for a summit attempt hit me up via pm. Does anyone know if there is access to BC trailhead yet?
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Any of you mags on Shasta today? It was insanely good, probably will be tomorrow and next week as well...

Nice, anybody around Memorial day weekend on shasta? going to drive straight over from Idaho, ski a lap, and then go see family in Sac.

We will be headed down to Shasta in the next few weeks! I will keep my eye on this thread for beta.

Anyone going to be up there on monday. Im thinking of driving up from tahoe for some real pow skiing

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Nice, anybody around Memorial day weekend on shasta? going to drive straight over from Idaho, ski a lap, and then go see family in Sac.
    Might be there for Memorial Day Weekend. Another group I know will be there the first weekend in June, but I can't make that one.

I'm curious about Brewer Creek...HW is on the hit list

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    Anyone going to be up there on monday. Im thinking of driving up from tahoe for some real pow skiing
    i'm considering it for this weekend thru monday, or maybe up to oregon cuz she's been so good to me. or jackson. or utah.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

The north side always opens first.
    Keep your eye on this site - change/redraw the map for the correct date, etc...

http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/interactiv...nt=0&js=1&uc=0

I'm looking forward to getting back to the Coquette Falls TH on the north side.

Anyone ever hear of someone biking the lassen road with skis before it opens to cars? Last memorial day I parked at the devastated area and hiked up the NE ridge by chaos crags to summit and ski the NE face. It was a fun hike and an even better ski but lots of bushwhacking down below the snow line that late in the season - should have come from the south side.

Now that the road is already plowed to the parking lot I figure it could be fun to do a bike mission in there, but I have no memory of how hilly the road in is. Is this a crazy idea?

The road climbs 1750' over the 6.8 miles from the winter closure to the Lassen Peak TH. Only a fool or a maggot would attempt such an escarpment on a bicycle.

The road on the north side is roughly 8.5 miles of bike riding with little elevation change to the devastated parking lot. That'd be the way to go.

Spoke to 5th Season and they indicated BC was at least a month out...

Looks to be around 5 feet of snow at the BC TH.
    (April 13th)

However, it's almost time for an early approach to Coquette Falls TH.

http://www.earnyourturns.com/11545/s...oquette-falls/

Just talked to a ranger at Lassen and he said that the North side road to the devastated area "TH" will probably open to cars this weekend, and if not will definitely be open next weekend. No need for a bike mission.

The N ridge is a fun climb past some cool steam vents and both craters, and the NE face is an amazing ski. I did a solo mission up there on memorial day last year and it rocked except for about a half mile of bushwhacking at the bottom. Hopefully the mid-april access this year should allow for better conditions!

Here's a video from last season. My dynafit heel gaps were not adjusted correctly so I popped out midway down but it's a really fun sustained pitch. I'll probably head up there this weekend if the road opens and the weather looks good - more snow than Tahoe area that's for sure.

About this same time last year.
    This area is coming into shape soon.

http://www.earnyourturns.com/11005/s...ide-02may12/2/

For early access, park at the base of the large moraine and hike/skin up from there.
    There is a road that heads SE along northern base of the main moraine. Follow that road 'till you get
    to the corner, then head south.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcsim View Post
    Just talked to a ranger at Lassen and he said that the North side road to the devastated area "TH" will probably open to cars this weekend, and if not will definitely be open next weekend. No need for a bike mission.

The N ridge is a fun climb past some cool steam vents and both craters, and the NE face is an amazing ski. I did a solo mission up there on memorial day last year and it rocked except for about a half mile of bushwhacking at the bottom. Hopefully the mid-april access this year should allow for better conditions!

Here's a video from last season. My dynafit heel gaps were not adjusted correctly so I popped out midway down but it's a really fun sustained pitch. I'll probably head up there this weekend if the road opens and the weather looks good - more snow than Tahoe area that's for sure.

Any info on the South "summer" TH? The climb from the S to the summit and then ski the NE to the devastated area TH is a fun trip.

How is the summit climb from the N?

It would be way quicker to ski from the north than to drive all the way to the north drop a car and drive back around to the south just to save a 1000 ft of skinning. however if you were feeling sporty you could park on the south, ski the north off the summit and hike back up and ski out the south which would save you the long approach and having to drive around to the north side

Looks like there is still a way to go before they get things cleared up to the TH on the south side:
    http://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvisi...ing-update.htm

Headed up there this weekend for a couple days, most likely crashing on the south side of the park... Looks like about a 2 hour drive to get around to the other side, which is probably not justified. May just have to do one more trip up this year...

The skiing is way better on the N side. Worth the extra drive, i dont think its 2 hours either. Theres a nice little parking lot/camping area at the devastated area with picnic tables and restrooms that is free.

According to the old google it's 2 hours from the south entrance, I'm sure it's not that much more if you don't drive all the way up to the closure on the south side. I would have preferred the north side, but didn't plan this trip, unfortunately. If the road does open, I will have to see if I can convince to peeps to relocate!