Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    When I was up there two Saturdays ago, there was snow in the creekbed to about 20 feet from the parking switchback. Definitely snow from the trailhead bathroom.

Not surprised that it's more patchy now with how warm it's been. Still, easy hike in ski boots like others said.

Schralph, email Tony he doesn't (officially) work Fridays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Lassen Road scheduled to open on Thursday. Anyone free midweek?

Anyone want to hit Shasta midweek, this week or next?

I'm looking at a volcano tour ...
    Lassen 6/6
    Adams 6/8 & 6/9
    Hood?
    Shasta?
    dang! just scheduled long overdue tune-up on the Taco Mama in Reno for 6/6, otherwise i'd be down for Lassen.

if, perchance, you reverse your schedule, i'll hit Lassen with you next week...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

There is a very important story missing from this thread!!!
    dhklauer I'm looking at you...

Lassen on Sun, should be epic considering how warm its been. Thinking summit TH to east face, then back up to N-E face, hitch back to summit TH.

Lassen is far from epic. Long way from the bottom of NE face to the road, but the smooth snow looks so tempting. Seriously no snow on the last 1/3 of vert and looked at least a mile of a hike out. I was solo so I figured best not to sign up for an epic schwack or put in a serious booster.

E face was smear able mush and not too bumpy. You can ski all the way to the parking lot but that's not saying much. Uninspiring snow for such a long drive from Tahoe/SF/sac. It's melting fast!

Didn't think to shoot cell phone beta, sorry. No way of getting pics off my SLR.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Sorry, my sarcasm didn't translate over the 'net, thanks for the beta tho. Sounds likes its not worth the trip, although, it would mean some relaxing time away from the family...

Yeah my meter was waaaay broken on that one. I pulled into the SW lot on weds night and the temp was like 60f. Shitty snow.

There is MUCH better coverage and cooler temps here in OR. I'm stoked on Adams this weekend ... Anyone wanna hit Hood on Monday and/or Tuesday?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by linds-o-rama View Post
    There is a very important story missing from this thread!!!
    dhklauer I'm looking at you...
    Linds- Hahahaha. I am waiting for SKIWALD to make his a post about it. I will discuss it with him soon, and see if he will provide photo evidence.

Anyone know about the road to old ski bowl? Open yet or soon?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

^Sitting here at Bunny Flat, waiting to ski the west face tomorrow... the road to old ski bowl is not yet open! I was here the same weekend last year and they opened it on that Friday. So probably any time now.

On a different note, I am having trouble finding out recent conditions on McLoughlin. Is it any good to skie it this time of year? What about THIS year? Maybe the snow level is too high to make it worth it right now....

Sent from my LG-VS700 using TGR Forums
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Snow level on mcloughlin should be around 7,000.
    Mosquitoes are probably fierce, but skiing should be good.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick View Post
    ^Sitting here at Bunny Flat, waiting to ski the west face tomorrow...
    Heading up tomorrow night, how far is the snow from BF?

Made the trip a week and a half ago and it kicked my ass. Went up the H/L and camped around 10,500. The next day we tried for the summit but didnt make it, wind was kicking and the snow was slow to soften up despite the clear skies. Still had great skiing, although I lost my patagonia vest on the slog out which was a bummer. Awesome trip, I'll definitely be back and hopefully I'll get to ski off the summit

^ Took the avalanche gulch cut off. Snow was maybe a mile from the TH at BF if you find the gully. South side is super bumpy and full of rocks from 70 mph winds last week. Trinities looked okay & a few thousand vert of good skiing to be had there before getting to some super bumps. Skied WF which had a very short section that was melted out. The more west facing stuff was smoother so we cut over to one of those lines. Overall much much smoother than the south side. Tried the upclimb & cut out of Hidden Valley but there was no snow on the other side- at least not for a ways. So, we went back down and did the long walk on the trail back to BF. Not sure why the road to Old Ski Bowl is not open as it looked bone dry from above.

-
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

One more thing... no snow on Misery Hill. Zero zippo none.

-
    14erskiers.com

Thanks Mbsc - Misery has actually been dry for well over a month. Different story from the HW side. But I'm done with skis for the season, and was asking about the Old Ski Bowl road for other recreational purposes. Waaaay better coverage and snow conditions in WA by the way ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Anyone know what conditions are like? Heading up the Hotlum Bolam tomorrow, trying to figure out if its a ski trip or just a hike/climb.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Anyone know what conditions are like? Heading up the Hotlum Bolam tomorrow, trying to figure out if its a ski trip or just a hike/climb.
    Saw this: http://www.sierrajournal.com/2013/06...ment-972842255
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

As a followup, if you are going to bag the summit, take skis (if you have a very light setup); but you shouldn't go there for a ski-specific trip, unless you are dookey or vets. There is adequate skiing above 11K on the N side but its a long way to carry gear unless its very light, and conditions are fading quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    As a followup, if you are going to bag the summit, take skis (if you have a very light setup); but you shouldn't go there for a ski-specific trip, unless you are dookey or vets. There is adequate skiing above 11K on the N side but its a long way to carry gear unless its very light, and conditions are fading quickly.
    Did you by any chance see if there was anything whatsoever on Lassen? Possibly looking to get some August turns in.

Seriously, Lassen? I thought it was cooked and toasted by Father's day, except for Vets and Dookey standards.

Where were you thinking of looking - NE face? There might be a sliver or two on that thing and I would happily buy a pitcher for any maggot who skis that thing this month. The hike out was do-able but a reasonable effort 2 months ago when Brennan Lagasse posted his photos. I wouldn't want to imagine the hike out now - sliding down ashy scree on your butt until you get to the lower angle stuff that you can actually walk down ... and I doubt there is any snow anywhere else in the park other than a patch under the Brokeoff headwall. Somebody please prove me wrong with some actual beta/stoke and something more than my grumpy bloviation.

I wonder how the Dunderberg Jacks glacier that Dooks and Vets always ski in September is doing ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Has anyone been to Shasta lately? Dumped my motorcycle on my already bad ankle, and have been waiting for it to get better before I attempt to get in my August turns. Headed to a wedding in Sacramento this weekend, and am thinking about cruising up the H-W solo on Saturday for some turns! Beta (or partners for this ridiculousness!) would be welcome.

Seems like the coquette falls TH may be better for finding skiable snow this time of year, but I am sketched about going solo in my Tacoma sans winch...

Has anyone been to Shasta lately? Dumped my motorcycle on my already bad ankle, and have been waiting for it to get better before I attempt to get in my August turns. Headed to a wedding in Sacramento this weekend, and am thinking about cruising up the H-W solo on Saturday for some turns! Beta (or partners for this ridiculousness!) would be welcome.
    Vibes on the ankle. Good luck this weekend, and I expect a full report. Taking the bikes to tahoe to play in the smoke this weekend.

Seems like the coquette falls TH may be better for finding skiable snow this time of year, but I am sketched about going solo in my Tacoma sans winch...
    You'll be fine. Just stay on the main tire tracks/road.
    The loose sand is only up near the top of the road.

I end up using my winch because I have it. I don't mind pushing my luck with getting stuck.
    As long as there are some big trees withing 100 ft., I'll go for it.

Sure wish I could get up there this summer, but I'm stuck here 'till the snow starts again.