Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightish, fast rolling, durable spring xc tire?

I'm setting up my Nomad c for spring xc stuff (lighter fork, rear shock, wheels and tires), till the high country dries out which around here will be a long time. Sooo, I'm looking for a tire that rolls fairly fast and is on the light side. Read good things about the BBG's but wondering what other options are out there. My normal riding season kicks are either Minion dhfs or Butcher/Clutch's, really like how all these ride, but looking for something a little more sports carish for the early season. Oh yeah, cheap never hurts either as these will only be on the bike for spring and late fall. Recomendations?
    Oh, and trail conditions will mostly be dry/loose (Helena/Butte for those in the MT know).

I'm a big fan of Schwalbe Nobby Nics (2.25" or 2.35"), and right now I have a WTB Wolverine on my rear tire that works well.

You'll probably get 10 different answers by asking this question, though.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm a big fan of Schwalbe Nobby Nics (2.25" or 2.35"), and right now I have a WTB Wolverine on my rear tire that works well.

You'll probably get 10 different answers by asking this question, though.
    Kinda what I'm hoping for. I just know there are a lot of options out there that I'm not considering that I probably should be.

Another big fab of Schwalbes, but I prefer the Racing Ralph for fast rolling and the Rocket Ron for meaty tread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Hans dampf front w racing Ralph rear.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Hans dampf front w racing Ralph rear.
    Love the HD but wouldn't really call it a lightish XC tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

The BBG is good. Really good. Don't know if I'd use it as a front tire with my 185# of pussy riding, but the 2.1 rear is fantastic. I haven't noticed any transition area from lack of intermediate knobs. Even on a 317 rim with tubes inflated to around 35 psi, the side knobs are just about touching with the bike straight up, so edge engagement is immediate.
    can't comment on the wider widths. Ardent, purgatory, something like that is always good on the front, especially for those times when you grab a lot of brake over loose stuff or around a turn.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I like the Maxxis Crossmark 2.25 LUST as a fast rolling, yet worthy rear tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Love the HD but wouldn't really call it a lightish XC tire.
    Used to roll racing Ralph front and rear before this setup, and the gains in cornering and trail feel outweigh any difference in weigh/ rolling resistance for me. Honestly on my SS 29er I haven't noticed it slowing me down on the road. Been racing the setup w success too.

I Just set up a XC wheelset with some of the new Specialized Ground Control 2.35s.

Don't have any ride time on them yet, but they get nice reviews and the weight is about as light as you can get with tubeless-ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I Just set up a XC wheelset with some of the new Specialized Ground Control 2.35s.

Don't have any ride time on them yet, but they get nice reviews and the weight is about as light as you can get with tubeless-ready.
    Price doesn't look to bad on those either. I've had great luck with Specialized's dh and 1 1/2 plys. Curious if anyone has any time on the GCs?

I like WTB Mutano 2.4's, light, fat, roll well and seem to grip better than Racing Ralph's. Racing Ralph's are fast, but they don't inspire much confidence in the turns. WTB tires aren't true to size in my experience (2.4's are actually 2.2's). They don't lie on the iso-etrto number, but somehow 55-559 ( 2.2 in x 26 ) turns into 2.4 on the label. 55mm is 2.2 inches. I don't stress tires much ( all the riding around here is baked clay and smooth limestone with the occasional tree root) so can comment on anything but speed and confidence in the turn.

For those conditions I would really consider the BBG. I loved those during the summer dust bowl conditions and am back to minion/high roller for the tacky/damp/wet/mud seasons.

WTB Nano Raptors front and rear...
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Price doesn't look to bad on those either. I've had great luck with Specialized's dh and 1 1/2 plys. Curious if anyone has any time on the GCs?
    I did one ride on a 2.35 S-works GC front and 2.1 GC rear on my old-school 26" hardtail last year, on late-season Durango (Telegraph trails) dust. I was super impressed with their cornering and trail-braking traction. Also, while I didn't do any measurements, they didn't feel like they have any more rolling resistance than a 2.1 Crossmark or a 2.2 Conti Race King.

The 2.35 GC seem like a properly sized tire. The 2.1 smaller than I would run for anything but racing (and I don't race any more). Neither one measures up to its marked size. The 2.1 is skinnier than an old 2.0 Kenda Karma, which is the smallest tire I ever really liked.

I don't have any idea how tough the Ground Controls are, or how many miles they'll last. I'm planning to buy a couple 2.35s this spring, so I'll find out.

I'd only run Racing Ralphs if I got them for free. You can feel them start to lose traction after about 15 hours of use.

I've been rolling Maxxis Ikon's in the rear and the skinny Ardent in the front. If you want to go real light, I would get a pair of the Maxxis Aspens.

if you are still looking, i have a few tires i need to get listed:

1x BBG 2.35 - lightly used (very good rear tire if you have a DHF tire up front, besets front tire for trail bike ever)
    1x happy medium 2.35 - lightly used (awesomest rear tire for trail bike ever)
    2x slant 6's 2.35 - brand new (good fast tires with no cornering knobs)

pm me if interested...
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by stradissimo View Post
    I'd only run Racing Ralphs if I got them for free. You can feel them start to lose traction after about 15 hours of use.

Weird, I like how they handle after they are worn in--almost to the point of considering clipping the knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    if you are still looking, i have a few tires i need to get listed:

1x BBG 2.35 - lightly used (very good rear tire if you have a DHF tire up front, besets front tire for trail bike ever)
    1x happy medium 2.35 - lightly used (awesomest rear tire for trail bike ever)
    2x slant 6's 2.35 - brand new (good fast tires with no cornering knobs)

pm me if interested...
    And Marshall solves my problems again. pm sent and paypal loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Weird, I like how they handle after they are worn in--almost to the point of considering clipping the knobs.
    I'm a lot smaller than average, 140 lbs, so that might have something to do with it. I don't stress tires like a 200 lb person will. I haven't run a tire at over 30psi, even with tubes, in a long long time. When cornering, I tend to keep my body relatively vertical and lean the bike way over.

I like front tires that don't slip much until they're really close to the traction limit. For example, the old Conti Vertical Pros will start to side-slip at a fairly moderate lean angle, if you lean them more, they'll slip more but still keep traction, i.e. won't blow out from underneath you. I didn't like that big area of 'grey' traction, kind of slipping but generally holding on. I like front tires that are basically cornering knobs and braking knobs, like the Minion DHF and High Roller. For some strange reason, I get that out of the Crossmark. They tenaciously hold traction right up to the point where they dump you on your head.

Rear tires I don't care too much about as long as they have low rolling resistance and don't zip when I climbing ledges or logs. For me, the Crossmark is one of the more zippy tires for technical climbing. I found it to be worse than semi-slicks like the Furious Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by stradissimo View Post
    I'm a lot smaller than average, 140 lbs, so that might have something to do with it. I don't stress tires like a 200 lb person will. I haven't run a tire at over 30psi, even with tubes, in a long long time. When cornering, I tend to keep my body relatively vertical and lean the bike way over.

I like front tires that don't slip much until they're really close to the traction limit. For example, the old Conti Vertical Pros will start to side-slip at a fairly moderate lean angle, if you lean them more, they'll slip more but still keep traction, i.e. won't blow out from underneath you. I didn't like that big area of 'grey' traction, kind of slipping but generally holding on. I like front tires that are basically cornering knobs and braking knobs, like the Minion DHF and High Roller. For some strange reason, I get that out of the Crossmark. They tenaciously hold traction right up to the point where they dump you on your head.

Rear tires I don't care too much about as long as they have low rolling resistance and don't zip when I climbing ledges or logs. For me, the Crossmark is one of the more zippy tires for technical climbing. I found it to be worse than semi-slicks like the Furious Fred.
    Have you tried the Hans Dampf front? Curious what you'd think.

Odd that we have such different takes on the same tire, since I'm only 15lbs heavier.

Marshall beat me to the happy medium, It really is a great rear tire. Fast rolling and predictably drifty. Ran it on my 26" bike and Front / rear on the cross bike.

SO I've already seen suggestions for a few tires in this thread that might fit the bill, but just throwing this out there.

I like my nevegels but then seem to hold very well cornering up until they just dont, the release on the front tire feels squirly. I guess they feel ok on the back but I'd like something with a bit smoother more predictable transition, but still lots of grip.

I'd also like something a bit more durable and faster rolling, but still good grip for climbing, maybe just a bit less than the nevegel.

I know the nevegels have thin sidewalls but I'm never my life fucked up a sidewall so I'd rather not go heavier is possible.

Slant 6, with maybe something else on the front? What do people think about the excavator? Anything from other brands?
    Last edited by leroy jenkins; 04-11-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Upon Marshal's suggestion I have been rocking 26" Happy Medium 2.35 on the rear for the last 200+ miles. Epic tire. As said above its predictable in the turns, but really shines when climbing, especially on rock. On slabby stuff its like having a freakin' track on the rear. It basically never slips on me.

I am currently running a High Roller II up front. Its good in the slop, but its starting to dry up around here and I have yet to find anything for the pebbly loose stuff I ride here in NJ. I think that has some to do with my cornering technique and alot to do with just squirrely loose gravel sliding under the tires.

I need something lighter up front with tough sidewalls. My old Ardents ripped open when squeezing through granite rock gardens. Ideas? Got some races coming up so any weight savings help and the HRII is just a heavy bitch.
    Last edited by Whiteroom_Guardian; 04-12-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Wg- 2.35 bbg front for dry riding, 2.5 dhf exo 60 for intermediate/mixed conditions riding.

Word