Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Lassen / Shasta Conditions Anyone?

^ yeah, the crystal / Lemurian worshippers don't show up at Panther Meadows until it's dry at Old Ski Bowl ... but at that point you have more types laying up there.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

With the amount of snow up there this year any guesses as to when would be best timeframe to make a trip over ?

2 days ago! Conditions on Friday looked ridiculous. Or, as soon as it corns up. I don't think they will start plowing the road up to Bumpass until May, and that's only if they want to get it open to Bumpass Lot by Memorial Day, which seems like a big if to me.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Does anyone know if touring is allowed within Mt. Shasta Ski Park now that they are closed for the season?

id say may will b best from bunny flat this year assuming the faucet turns off. other trailheads should be awhile.

CMS, just check a USGS quad. My Shasta topo is in my car, parked 3 blocks away, but I have to imagine that is USFS land. If they aren't in operations then you should be good to go unless you see earth or snowmoving equipment in active use.

Thinking a bit more about my previous comment @Ted26: there is still something like 12' of snow down at the south visitor's center and over 20' up at 8200' survey site, possible 40' drifts up by Helen Lake ... I can't imagine they will want to tackle plowing until there is less snow to move ... who knows what kind of budget they have or when their fiscal year is. Our Federal E branch has obviously been stingy with cash for like that. So basically, south side is great now while roads are not plowed, just skin the road to get to what you want. North side will be great when they pop the road to Devastated Area.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Ted26 View Post
    With the amount of snow up there this year any guesses as to when would be best timeframe to make a trip over ?
    Was wondering the same thing, Ted. Thinking about Memorial Day or maybe a July 4th trip.

Schralph, I'll be back in the Bay this summer. We should grab beers and chat Shasta at some point!

The Ski Park is pretty low elevation, and they may even close the access gate (it is private property). There are so many better options to tour, I would avoid the Park.

Probably a foot of new today at Bunny Flat, we'll be skiing all summer at this rate...

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    CMS, just check a USGS quad. My Shasta topo is in my car, parked 3 blocks away, but I have to imagine that is USFS land. If they aren't in operations then you should be good to go unless you see earth or snowmoving equipment in active use.
    Mt. Shasta Ski Park is entirely on private land according to Wikipedia. Even on USFS land, policies vary widely which is why I was wondering. I was rudely shut down at June Mountain the other day when they weren't operating.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Was wondering the same thing, Ted. Thinking about Memorial Day or maybe a July 4th trip.

Schralph, I'll be back in the Bay this summer. We should grab beers and chat Shasta at some point!
    Well, either will be awesome, whether the road is opened or not! I bet not by Memorial Day (I seriously think there are 40' drifts likely on parts of the road up there), and hopefully yes by 4th of July for Devestated shuttle runs

But hurry on back, I'm moving to Eugene OR in July. Either way, Shasta is the same drive from Oakland as it is from Eugene.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMountainSkier View Post
    Mt. Shasta Ski Park is entirely on private land according to Wikipedia.
    Oh I had no idea. I wouldn't even bother then. All the lower elevation stuff above Horse Camp is fun meadowskipping that will be great skiing for a while, Cascade Gulch isn't really that far of a skin either.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Shasta is gonna be insane this spring/summer. Crazy coverage! Here's a few stoke pics from a month ago. Mud creek isn't even muddy.

Coming out the old ski bowl, I was all stoked because there were like 15 foot snowbanks at the road closure at Bunny Flat, so I could easily ride all the way back to the car on the road. Only problem was there was so much snow that I completely missed the road crossing and rode way down past it, and ended up having to skin back up to it. Good problem to have I suppose!

You're not allowed to post until you're back from Alaska

I'm back... and I had to post something in order to distract myself from the pages and pages describing the epicness in CA that I apparently missed while I was gone! AK was pretty OK though I guess...

OK back on topic...

Keeping the shitter vent clear of snow - another good problem to have!

FKNA
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

You're not allowed to post until you're back from Alaska
    No, your not allowed to post until you have filed a complete AK trip report

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Well, either will be awesome, whether the road is opened or not! I bet not by Memorial Day (I seriously think there are 40' drifts likely on parts of the road up there), and hopefully yes by 4th of July for Devestated shuttle runs

But hurry on back, I'm moving to Eugene OR in July. Either way, Shasta is the same drive from Oakland as it is from Eugene.
    Nice! Okay, will do...I'll touch base when I get settled; sounds like Shasta is going to be aweseome all summer!

Given the rate of progress plowing from the North entrance, optimistic to see the road clear and open to the Devastated Area by first weekend in May?

https://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvis...ing-update.htm

Looks like the road is open to the Devasted area. Anyone been to the north side yet? Thinking of heading up Saturday night from Tahoe for a Sunday ski.

Hitting Shasta on Tuesday/Wednesday for the first time and I'm stoked

Got a couple peeks at the peaks from the plane Tuesday morningClick image for larger version. 

Name:	shasta.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	205494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lassen.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	774.7 KB 
ID:	205495