Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vikings

Vikings

Vikings on History is awesome. All hail Ragnar!

This fucking show is awesome! Loving it.

How many episoeds in is it now? I've been noticing the ads and meant to check it out.

Valhalla Rising is the best movie on the subject IMO.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

How accurate was the almost 3 some? Didn't know Vikings were kinky. One of few shows on History that has anything to do with history.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Ragnar. Brains and brawn.

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Come on, dude.

Ragnar's wife is badass.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Awesome. Would only be better with titties.

Good series, although Gabriel Byrne has one of the odder acting careers out there. Viking Chieftain isn't the first role that comes to mind for a good fit for him.
    Silent....but shredly.

History Channel signed on for another 10 shows next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Ragnar's wife is badass.
    Agreed, but Helga (Floki's girlfriend/wife) is the hotness too. Can't find a pic of her in character so here's an IRL...

And one of Katheryn Winnick (Lagertha) for comparison

Can't argue that. I wouldn't have objections to either one of them giving me a good old fashioned game of Viking slap & tickle. On the show, though, Lagertha kicks serious ass.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    History Channel signed on for another 10 shows next season.
    Most excellent.

Anyone know where episodes 1 & 2 can be watched? I've searched everywhere I can think of and they don't seem to be available for some reason. I think the first episode I saw as 3, would like to watch the first two before going on.

Cut and pasted for wiki.
    She was a badass in real life too

Life according to Saxo Grammaticus

Lagertha's tale is recorded in passages in the ninth book of the Gesta Danorum, a 12th century work of Danish history by Saxo Grammaticus.[2] According to the Gesta (¶ 9.4.1–9.4.11), Lagertha's career as a warrior began when Frø, king of Sweden, invaded Norway and killed the Norwegian king Siward. Frø put the women of the dead king's family into a brothel for public humiliation. Hearing of this, Ragnar Lodbrok came with an army to avenge his grandfather Siward. Many of the women Frø had ordered abused dressed themselves in men's clothing and fought on Ragnar's side.[1] Chief among them, and key to Ragnar's victory, was Lagertha. Saxo recounts:

"Ladgerda, a skilled Amazon, who, though a maiden, had the courage of a man, and fought in front among the bravest with her hair loose over her shoulders. All-marveled at her matchless deeds, for her locks flying down her back betrayed that she was a woman."

Impressed with her courage, Ragnar courted her from afar. Lagertha feigned interest and Ragnar arrived to seek her hand, bidding his companions wait in the Gaular valley. He was set upon by a bear and a great hound which Lagertha had guarding her home, but killed the bear with his spear and choked the hound to death. Thus he won the hand of Lagertha in marriage. According to Saxo, Ragnar had a son with her, Fridleif, as well as two daughters, whose names are not recorded.[2]

"Ladgerda, who had a matchless spirit though a delicate frame, covered by her splendid bravery the inclination of the soldiers to waver. For she made a sally about, and flew round to the rear of the enemy, taking them unawares, and thus turned the panic of her friends into the camp of the enemy."[2]

Upon returning to Norway, she quarreled with her husband, and slew him with a spearhead she concealed in her gown. Saxo concludes that she then "usurped the whole of his name and sovereignty; for this most presumptuous dame thought it pleasanter to rule without her husband than to share the throne with him".[2]

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Completely lacking in showing any culture whatsoever. Beowulf did way more justice, and that cheated some. Best Viking stuff other than this series is still in print.

Its fiction but factual to culture.

Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead." Do not fucking watch "13th Warrior" !!!

or Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series. Starting with "The Last Kingdom". Which is historical fiction, with a lot of parallels to the Viking TV Series.

Cornwell seems to draw a pretty accurate picture. Fun books to read, too. I fail to see what valhalla rising has to do with vikings, more about human darkness in medieval clothing.

The 13th warrior is fucking hilarious.Alas, haven't read the book, but the movie is a must see when my cousins and I gather, mostly due to the random passages of Norwegian supposed to pass off as old Norse. Why couldn't they just find someone from Iceland??

The language bit bothers me more than a little with Vikings, seems as they can't decide when to use pidgin Norse and English when confronted with Englishmen. Other than that, great show. It was heartwarming to see the old fucker finally ascend to Valhalla.

norsk

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Agreed, but Helga (Floki's girlfriend/wife) is the hotness too. Can't find a pic of her in character so here's an IRL...

And one of Katheryn Winnick (Lagertha) for comparison

UFF DA! Jeg onsker!

Quote Originally Posted by Moeghoul View Post
    Good series, although Gabriel Byrne has one of the odder acting careers out there. Viking Chieftain isn't the first role that comes to mind for a good fit for him.
    True. His character is shit awful for him. Great show though.

Well shit! That was a Christian stave church, not a pagan temple. That's twisting the concept just a little.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stave_church
    Last edited by Labcabin; 04-21-2013 at 09:59 PM.

I am also watching. I like it.

I watch in on Hulu

Addition

Watched Lasts night episode 8 I thought it kinda sucked.
    I guess they are trying to work in the sort of historically accurate stuff, but I was not entertained.

I was half expecting them to work in a Gay theme, cuz every TV show has to have some gay in it
    Last edited by MTT; 04-22-2013 at 10:37 PM.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Yeah, that was a pretty boring episode. Character development I guess.

Still, the priest ate some shrooms, got laid, and avoided being sacrificed. Next episode should be better - looks like they're going to France.

So is this show just a 10th century soap opera now? Guess we'll find out next year...

Was this the last fucking episode of the season???