Page 1816 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 ... LastLast
Results 45,376 to 45,400 of 46300
    Running a shop is probably not a super lucrative business these days when competing with online retailers.

If I owned one I probably wouldn't even offer a full tune. What's the cost of a Wintersteiger or Montana? You'd have to buy multiple machines or the one that does it all. So what are you into 2-500k? Or more, idk? ROI on that is...forever...and the majority of the wingnuts skis you're tuning can't even tell the difference. Give em a wax and they're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yeah, they do, which is probably why they charge $95 for a tune, so that with discount they are still charging you $76. And that does not include any base repair, not even a wee bit of ptex. FFS.

Honestly, I just want the stone grind, I can sharpen my edges and wax my skis, but don't have a wintersteiger in the garage.
    I’m experimenting with filing bases and base bevels flat myself on a pair dumpster found skis. Looks promising so far.

We used to have a guy out at Donner Lake for a few seasons who did tunes and mounts. He worked part time, also was a coach for Auburn Ski Club. Great guy, sorry I don't remember his name.

These things that are popping up everywhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240221_013425609.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	437.2 KB 
ID:	487664

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Running a shop is probably not a super lucrative business these days when competing with online retailers.

If I owned one I probably wouldn't even offer a full tune. What's the cost of a Wintersteiger or Montana? You'd have to buy multiple machines or the one that does it all. So what are you into 2-500k? Or more, idk? ROI on that is...forever...and the majority of the wingnuts skis you're tuning can't even tell the difference. Give em a wax and they're fine.
    I like that we went from a post bitching about wages not keeping up with inflation to posts about the cost of having services provided. Guess what: those ski techs want to be able to afford rent and groceries, too.

But I'm also in the "but I just want a stone grind" camp, as I can readily do most everything else in the basement.

You can usually get an old micro 90 or something like it for pretty cheap. Buddy of mine got super cheap one from a Sports Authority when they closed up shop. Might have been free even. Those automated jobs are stupid unless you are a corporate shop with funds.

Stone grinds are only for after base repairs for me anyway. Takes off too much base. I need that base for when I hit rocks, which I do a lot. I get like 1-2 tunes a year maybe. Just when the edges get fubar or bases too dry or scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I like that we went from a post bitching about wages not keeping up with inflation to posts about the cost of having services provided. Guess what: those ski techs want to be able to afford rent and groceries, too.

But I'm also in the "but I just want a stone grind" camp, as I can readily do most everything else in the basement.
    Grind and set the edges for me--I want the base edge set by machine because it's easy to fuck that up at home IME. They're not going to charge me less if I tell them not to wax so I let them. Then maintain the side edge, wax and fix core shotes at home as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

KMart blue light special on aisle 5

What in the actual fuck is that anyways? Shoplifting deterrent or parking space enforcement?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    What an ingeniously disguised flex, bro!
    Hahahaha. Thanks for the laugh. Not really flexing tho. It's nearly a decade old and isn't really worth a ton. Folks in the wagon stoke thread know it. Love the car but it gets used as a family daily. I just don't appreciate senseless door dings no matter what car it is. Even MORE annoying when you park far out just to avoid all the assholes. I mostly only do this when the spaces are particularly tight to begin with and the lot's full of cars that look like their owners don't give a damn about their vehicles. Further proven by the guy who pulled up next to me, driver side facing me of course where he had to squeeze out of his vehicle despite the hundreds of open spots around us. WTAF?! I ended up finding another spot as I didn't trust that fool to not ding me upon his return. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

If I had a mint Oldsmobile Bravada I'd park right next to one also.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    KMart blue light special on aisle 5

What in the actual fuck is that anyways? Shoplifting deterrent or parking space enforcement?
    It means your shopping center has joined the bigtime when it comes to car break-ins.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    My shop charges $80 for a mount, which I am pretty sure is just a way to punish people who buy online. $10 if you buy skis and bindings from the shop. Also, it's Scottsdale, so there is plenty of money around.
    i remember when steep and cheap first got popular, shops in vt went from 30-60 in a year. that’s when i started mounting skis, although im still happy to give it to a shop when prices are normal. now they sit around 85 or so in the northeast but, for some reason, a reasonable 30cad at the little bump i bought a pass to this year.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Even MORE annoying when you park far out just to avoid all the assholes.
    Try not to outsmart yourself! Maybe you are just parking with the assholes.

Sometimes I think ya'll just want to be annoyed. Isn't the goal to avoid that?

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone does something shitty to you (accidental or otherwise), and then expects to be absolved of any and all responsibility or resentment once they say "I'm sorry".

It just makes me madder when someone whines "but i said i was sorry!?"

People need to say "Im sorry" and then get down to business fixing the problem, and/or making it up to the person who got fucked over.

^^^^^
    That & lack of simple consideration & common courtesies are right up there.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Try not to outsmart yourself! Maybe you are just parking with the assholes.

Sometimes I think ya'll just want to be annoyed. Isn't the goal to avoid that?
    Sometimes there's no avoiding the annoyances. Park in the tight spots next to others. Guaranteed door ding. Park alone away from everyone. Somebody STILL parks next to you with a high likelihood of dinging your door. Few weeks back, I came out of Costco (which DOES have ample sized spaces) and prick next to me had their shopping cart bumped up on mine (my little Volvo C30) while they loaded up their SUV. They were literally using my car to keep their cart from rolling away. Not a care in the world. I said "SERIOUSLY?!" and pushed their cart back a bit and inspected my car. A minor scratch (can prolly be buffed out with some wax), nothing serious enough to cause a riot over but still annoying AF. Guy didn't even say sorry or respond back. Just looked all surprised somebody had the audacity to call them out on their asshattery and hurredly got back in their vehicle while their lady took the cart.

back on track to the complaints - how come no one can hold a door for the next people at a ski lodge anymore?

is this a skill that had an expiration date like how to use a cassette?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Definitely!

That base structure tool looks pretty sweet. That has always been the thing I've missed when home tuning as an ex shop rat. Pretty much I just do a quick side edge, wax, and call it good because I only ski good snow now.

Reminds me of this classic...

https://youtu.be/Wi4N4duxwgk?si=rXh_s0v-ccLBL_XO
    Perfect. Always a good reality check.

Search 'SkiVisions' by post and the TGR search engine actually finds pertinent posts. Who'd a thunk it?
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

I'm not saying that we ain't surrounded by assholes and idiots nor that the opportunities to be annoyed ain't infinite just that it seems like a bit of your kryptonite. Maybe getting annoyed is enjoyable to you and it what makes the day go by? For me, it leads to stress and anxiety so I try and avoid it. But hey, in the spirit of this thread.

I had short overnight layover in Atlanta. I reserved a Holiday Inn Express room as I picked up my bags, then phoned the hotel to get the shuttle instructions.

a. the shuttle from international to domestic terminals has to be about 30mins plus about an 30min wait as the driver would not allow and standees.
    b. the designated hotel shuttle spot was just mayhem with unlabeled shuttles going to an infinite number of hotels
    c. ours never came so after about 45min we took a 5min cab which cost $30 cash despite the taxi stand saying it was a fixed fare of $15.
    d. "How come the shuttle isn't running" "It is running" "No, its parked out front turned off" "Oh, you have to call" "I did call, the recording said where it would pick us up and there was no option to talk to a human" "yeah, I told our manager about that" "So how would I know to call and how would I actually call, where is the driver?" "Nobody does that"

I'm not saying that we ain't surrounded by assholes and idiots nor that the opportunities to be annoyed ain't infinite just that it seems like a bit of your kryptonite. Maybe getting annoyed is enjoyable to you and it what makes the day go by? For me, it leads to stress and anxiety so I try and avoid it. But hey, in the spirit of this thread.

I had short overnight layover in Atlanta. I reserved a Holiday Inn Express room as I picked up my bags, then phoned the hotel to get the shuttle instructions.

a. the shuttle from international to domestic terminals has to be about 30mins plus about an 30min wait as the driver would not allow and standees.
    b. the designated hotel shuttle spot was just mayhem with unlabeled shuttles going to an infinite number of hotels
    c. ours never came so after about 45min we took a 5min cab which cost $30 cash despite the taxi stand saying it was a fixed fare of $15.
    d. "How come the shuttle isn't running" "It is running" "No, its parked out front turned off" "Oh, you have to call" "I did call, the recording said where it would pick us up and there was no option to talk to a human" "yeah, I told our manager about that" "So how would I know to call and how would I actually call, where is the driver?" "Nobody does that"
    Now you're getting the hang of this thread!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    back on track to the complaints - how come no one can hold a door for the next people at a ski lodge anymore?
    or how about the uncomfortable thing where the open the door from the outside, enter the door way and prop it open by being in the way? There is only one way to hold a door open for someone.

This happens all the time here at the PO. I just stand there and let it be weird.

I'm not saying that we ain't surrounded by assholes and idiots nor that the opportunities to be annoyed ain't infinite just that it seems like a bit of your kryptonite. Maybe getting annoyed is enjoyable to you and it what makes the day go by? For me, it leads to stress and anxiety so I try and avoid it.
    Nah. It's the opposite of stressful and anxiety-inducing. At least for me and probably many others, this thread is quite therapeutic. It's an ongoing Festivus' Airing of the Grievances. These little annoyances are things we all used to gripe about and laugh at around the water coolers, smoke breaks, at the bar, whatever, but since so many of us are WFH or don't get to hang with the bros like we used to, it's all we got. So while the annoyances themselves aren't enjoyable, the venting IS. I can bitch a little, we can all laugh with each other over our misfortunes, and move on with our lives. It's how I "let go" and not boil over on some rando in public, ya know?

But hey, in the spirit of this thread.

Now you're getting it! That's a good one! SUPER annoying for sure. Somebody deserved a nut check over that BS. That hotel clerk's lucky you didn't go full Karen on their ass for that one.

Thanks for sharing, man. Now come on in for a bro hug. See? Isn't that better now?

USPS for the win. WTF is "No Access to Delivery Location"?. USPS picks up and drops off stuff daily including over this time frame:

Name:  Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.13.21 AM.png
Views: 238
Size:  22.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.14.03 AM.png
Views: 230
Size:  90.8 KB
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

That hotel clerk's lucky you didn't go full Karen on their ass for that one
    What's annoying is people that tee off on low level service employees. Homegirl is working the night shift solo an some god forsaken Holiday Inn Express in what I can only assume is some shitbox suburb of the ATL. I don't use humans and punching bags. That collective mindset is what makes society the everyman for himself freeforall that it is.

It's Durango man. I got the same shit, went to the post office and they said they just click on that stuff to fill in the blank and that none of it is accurate. Our post office sucks so so bad.