Anybody built a multi-sport trailer?

Hurt my shoulder and kind of limping out the remainder of the ski season but looking ahead to summer and thinking about a project...

I am looking for ways to transport some equipment on a trailer (not ready to go buy a pickup). It would need to carry
    1) Off road hand cycle (www.reactiveadaptations.com)
    2) mountain / road bike (for the wife)
    3) kayak & SUP

Not necessarily all at once but it would be good to handle the possibility.

I am thinking about a light utility trailer, putting a raised load bar on it so that the hand cycle could go on the bottom, then I could use roof rack mounting hardware to load up bikes / boats / maybe even my ski box for extra storage. I have seen their are some available commercially out there but probably don't answer the mail for the handcycle - would it be worth buying a $800 trailer and building on it?

Anyone done this? considered it?
    Look forward to hearing what others have come up with
    I won't stand for anything...

After selling my pick up years ago I had a utility/camp/toy trailer frame build with a tailgate/ramp and top doors/counter tops. I welded on a receiver hitch to the rear for a bike rack or extra deck. To the front, I added a couple boxes for gear, firewood and water. With an easy-up type canopy it has been great as a chuck wagon for multi-family cooking and tiki bar...complete with lights at times. In a pinch you could sleep in it. Making the interior dimensions relative to Action Packer dimensions makes it easy to load an unload.

We've hauled biles mounted on top, river rafts, canoes, kayaks, landscape dirt, flagstones, lawn equipment, kids, etc. It's highly versatile and starting with a basic utility with a ramp might be a good option, until it gets to overhead frames and making a good, secure attachment.

One of my trailer improvement ideas would have been to add a rack on top that could somehow be cranked up like a pop-up trailer. Another would be to make the tops slide out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6130766.jpg 
Views:	949 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	135337

Name:	P6130769.jpg 
Views:	990 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	135338

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	135339

Here is a really cool (and pricey), lightweight toy hauler option to reference/ideas.

Here ya go:

Last edited by Alpinord; 03-25-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Thanks Terry

I've seen the fancy and pricey one and am thinking of a ghetto version of it. Probably without camper mode other than a surface off the ground that could be used. I like the raising of a rack like a pop up.

Any ideas on turning that portion into a reality?

I am thinking something very similar to what you've done with a rack above that I could throw a ski box on or boats or whatever.
    I won't stand for anything...

Pretty simple fab, but what are you driving it with? Makes a big difference.

We've hauled ours with a Subaru and nor problems. The higher clearance, stiffer springs and regular tires have been nice to have in some of the mountain and desert locations we've dragged it.

Regarding raising a rack/top, I've thought about everything from installing 4 tall ratchet jacks, 4 trailer wheel cranks, telescoping 'struts' to seeing if a pop-up trailer system could be added, to a raise one and and then the other 'hinged' system with some sort of pole system with pin and hole system.

I'm wondering if it's worth it for you to poke around for a trashed pop-up trailer with the pop-up system still intact to modify. One thing for sure is that you can't expect to put a huge load on a pop up trailer top.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR