Advice needed... mounting issues

Hey guys,

So basically, I bought a pair of skis second hand and they were mounted with dynafits, with another mount for a tele binding before that. I skied them for a 10 or so days and then the toepiece of one of the dynafit skis just popped off the ski... so I took a look at it and it turns out the tele mount was way too close to the dyna mount and a cracked formed between the two pairs of holes (pics below). I guess the lesson of the day is that you should check the mounts when you buy the ski....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130324_180327[1].jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	991.1 KB 
ID:	135317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130324_180332[1].jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	135318

If you take a look at the pics, the room for a remount of the dynas is pretty tight, and I don't want to risk the same thing happening again. So the options I've come up with so far is to remount and risk it happening again, quiverkiller the bottom two holes and mount a radical toepiece (the top holes still might be too close to each other though), mount a whole new binding (any suggestions on what would work without the mount holes being too close?) or sell the skis flat....

If anyone has any input on this decision, it'd be greatly appreciated. The option to sell is sort of a last resort...

Thanks guys,
    Josh

Why not just go with some plates? Wider mount pattern should help.

Epoxy putty in the tele holes and install inserts in the current Dynafit holes.

Wouldn't that just make the inserts prone to falling out?

search much?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by jt520814 View Post
    Wouldn't that just make the inserts prone to falling out?
    Neighbouring hole diameter: 4.1mm
    Insert hole diameter: 6.5mm
    Insert hole circumerence: 20.4mm
    Maximum proportion of insert hole circumference that would lie in the old hole: 20%.

I would do it. It should bond to the epoxy putty or wood dowel that fills the old hole fine anywy. But ask Jon.

I agree that Jon Drums inserts are the way to go.

I might add one more point... the tele hole looks a bit close and the crack between them would lead me to take the following step.

I would use Machineable - Fast set expoxy and force it into the crack and fill the Tele hole with this epoxy for good measure (may even shred some fine steel wool into the epoxy in main tele holes). I would try and clamp it while it dried as well to preserve a flat mounting position on the surface and further force the epoxy where it needs to be. In my experience, using this epoxy, patience is your friend to be sure it cures completely before your try to tap it. I have gone as far filling only half the hole at a time... let it cure for 1.5 -2 days and then scratch the surface and complete the rest of the hole and let it cure for another 2 days. have even used heat lamps to help.

it may seem like a long time and much longer than the epoxy manufacturer suggests but I have been able to get some Uber solid redril and taps into this epoxy, very clean, even when the new hole is slightly overlapping the epoxy filler.

I use the hardman double bubble pack. Yellow label. machineable fast set. if you don't have access to it. I don't mind dropping one in the mail

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Why not just go with some plates? Wider mount pattern should help.
    Inserts would be light might work, but they might not ?

the plate would be a little heavier but stronger & easier to instal?

Isn't the plate a reusable purchase on the next ski?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Another vote for plates.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

My $0.02 are that whoever installed the Dfits over torqued the screws and partially stripped the holes, resulting in pullout. I'd drill the tele holes to 3/16" and use Gflex to epoxy in 3/16" hardwood dowels cut slightly shorter than the hole depth, with a skin of epoxy over the top to seal. Give it a few days, then install inserts in the Dfit holes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    My $0.02 are that whoever installed the Dfits over torqued the screws and partially stripped the holes, resulting in pullout. I'd drill the tele holes to 3/16" and use Gflex to epoxy in 3/16" hardwood dowels cut slightly shorter than the hole depth, with a skin of epoxy over the top to seal. Give it a few days, then install inserts in the Dfit holes.
    This is what I was looking for.. thanks 1000oaks... I purchased a pr of 179 Lhasas to give to a family member... The Duke EPFs left their holes too close to where I need to drill for Griffons.. < 1/2 cm space on the toes.. So drill out the EPF holes.. pound hardwood dowels in (with epoxy or glue or no?).. then cover with epoxy for water seal..

So I would then either use standards screws to mount Griffons close to those plugged EPF holes.. or I could use BF inserts.. which would actually slightly overlap the newly plugged EPF holes... Which of these would be the preferred method?
    Last edited by BaNosser; 11-15-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post
    So I would then either use standards screws to mount Griffons close to those plugged EPF holes.. or I could use BF inserts.. which would actually slightly overlap the newly plugged EPF holes... Which of these would be the preferred method?
    I would always rather drill into ski core than into golf tee. I would recommend against using inserts for your particular problem - you can always add them later. Your ski has carbon in it, so be sure to use epoxy as your glue. Tap all holes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    This.
    And I'd bet that your toe piece pulling out had nothing to do with screw hole spacing either.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Why do people recommend inserts for stripped holes? Heli-coil is the way to go. I don't use plugs in holes anymore either, use some king of epoxy the can be worked when cured.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Why do people recommend inserts for stripped holes? Heli-coil is the way to go. I don't use plugs in holes anymore either, use some king of epoxy the can be worked when cured.
    That's actually what I did today... JB Welded the holes...
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post
    That's actually what I did today... JB Welded the holes...
    JB Weld is great, you can drill new holes overlapping old ones.

Get a heli-coil kit, they're pretty cheap and way better for stripped holes or where a new whole is close or overlapping an old one. The coils expand when you drive the screw in unlike an insert.

Buy my dynafit plates cheap. Use just the toes and also then lose the nonsense ramp.