Mt. Baker Question

Is Mount Baker working going to for a week? Typically I hit Jackson Hole or Utah but was going to hit Baker next year. Out of five days Monday through Friday in January or early Feb, what are the chances of it raining a lot inbounds since I don't ride back country to much?I heard it rains too much there. Would most people bag Baker and just head Whister/ Black. Thanks for the help here guys as the site has the most knowledgable boarders/skiers on it.

If it is dumping, and it does frequently, Baker is incredible. That said, it also is low elevation and can rain too. It also depends what you want to do when not riding. Nt much to do in glacier, and Bellingham, a bit over an hour away, is small town.

Personally, I would go whistler. Massive, you can get much higher, and the terrain is ridiculous. Additionally, the village is good in the eves.

Don't get me wrong. I went to college in Bellingham. Love baker, but if I was rolling the dice on a trip from a far...whistler over baker.

What puma said. I hate the Whistler fake-village scene, but in terms of being a tourist, at least there is one. A week of Baker will mean a week of driving your rental car up and down every day.

Although rain is possible on any day of the season, in Jan and Feb we're more likely to see drought, i.e. high pressure and sunny.

I thought baker was small and jammed packed with lots of terrain, and lots of annoying snowboarders. Whistler is huge, has some insane terrain and lots and lots of gaper skiers and insane lift lines. If cost weren't an issue I'd go to whistler though. the place is huge, and I mean huge, but lift tickets are double bakers.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Thanks for the insight. Does it rain just as much at Stevens Pass?

"Ski Areas" in washington are all really low elevation, its not "whether not" there is precipitation its "whether or not" its snow or rain, or snain, or thick rain, or wintery mix, or freezing rain, or just 34 degrees plaster poo. If you head to whistler you have the chance of rain at the base and the peak being closed, so you can ride the chair to the snow level, look up at the snow and ski back down through the rain. Stevens is really flat, in the last couple years it seems to be steeper but im pretty sure its flat.

No, Steven's is higher. It still rains there, but not as frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by JPH View Post
    Thanks for the insight. Does it rain just as much at Stevens Pass?
    never been there myself in the rain only really good snow conditions like they always get.
    you really should consider Squaw Valley Ski Resort & Olympic Village. Easy access from across the nation and really great people ready to show you a good time. Otherwise i would consider Big Sky Resort for the friendly local flair and best terrain in their minds.
    it really doesn't ever rain atop Rainier so that would be a done deal for me if i was afraid of a little rain.
    holler if you want some more beta, i got a list of insites to share.
    bobby

The chances are great. It's a maritime snowpack at Baker. Whistler/Blackcomb also exists in a climate that is characterized by a maritime snowpack.

Elevation doesn't really matter. I've been above 10,000 feet in January in a maritime snowpack and have been soaking wet from rain.

Maritime (coastal) avalanche climate
    •Deep snowpack with settled mid-winter snow depths of 9 feet (3 m) or more
    •Frequent storms produce moderate to heavy snowfall
    •Relatively mild regime throughout winter, producing a denser snowpack
    •Often rains on the snowpack throughout the winter
    •Consistent and relatively mild air masses along with more frequent storms create more consistent snowpack compared to the other climates
    •Usually has direct-action avalanches

Also, what FlowingAlpy said.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I thought baker was small and jammed packed with lots of terrain, and lots of annoying snowboarders. Whistler is huge, has some insane terrain and lots and lots of gaper skiers and insane lift lines. If cost weren't an issue I'd go to whistler though. the place is huge, and I mean huge, but lift tickets are double bakers.
    ^Indeed! Don't even think about wearing a GoPro at Baker. The heckles from the lifts are relentless.

Go to Whistler, if you have to ask, you belong there.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Definitely Squaw why go anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Definitely Squaw why go anywhere else?
    +1 the chimney chute is the best line evar

Being from BC, Like what everyone is saying whistlers got a great village and is a huge ski area although the beginning of the season tends to be more rainy then snow. Baker was my favorite because it has the greatest chance of pow, but there isn't much tourist areas in the valley. In all baker is fun but smaller so I'd hit whistler if your going for a week.

Do both. They're 3 hours apart. 2 days at Baker is more than enough without a big dump of snow. Whistler is massive, tons of terrain but big lines on the weekends. If you are looking for tons of snow I would say March is your best bet.

Thanks guys. Watch out for the damn fumerols at Baker. Just messing.

Have you reviewed the limited lodging/nightlife options for Mt Baker?

And the fact you'd need to rent a (being on the safe side AWD/4X4) car and drive from Glacier every day?

5 days straight of riding Baker inbounds might get tedious.

If you really need to decide now then going to Whistler would be the wiser choice. If you haven't been to either going to Whistler would also probably be the better option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

What PNW said. I stormchased solo to Baker from the east coast for 3 days a few years back. The skiing was great. The snow was unreal. The daily drive to and from the mountain in heavy rain was very very ...strange and pretty much sucked. The small..."settlement" I stayed in halfway between Bellingham and Baker had a decent restaraunt but absofuckinglutely zero nightlife.

I have fond memories of Baker but the to and fro from Seattle was a PITA. I was in Washington For 4 days and it never stopped raining or snowing once. I would do Baker again as a kepping it real guys trip but not for more than 3 days.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels