Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Preview/Review: 2014 Salomon Sth2 bindings

Sth-Stronger than hell. The Salomon Sth2 is the latest in the long heritage of Salomon Single Pivot bindings that date back to the late 70’s with the S727 (check out the Salomon retrospect album HERE). The design of the new Sth2 is an evolution on Salomon’s tried and true design with adaptations for not only new wider skis but also addressing the modern skiers needs as well.

There are two versions of the Sth2 offered for 2014, the Sth2 13 and Sth2 16. The Sth2 13 will be a 5-13 DIN range weighing in at 1145gr and will be offered on 2 color options-silver/black and green/black. The Sth2 16’s DIN is now 7-16 (verses the outgoing Sth16 being an above mortal range 9-16) can now accommodate lighter skiers that demand a stronger binding and with the addition of a metal base plate on the toe and metal stanchions on the heel, weigh in at just 1220 grams and will be offered in a blue/black color combo. Prices of the two bindings will be $229 and $299 respectively which keeps them in line not only with their out going counterparts but competitive with Look, Marker and Tyrolia’s offerings too.

The legendary 3D Driver Toe Concept has evolved with WTR (Walk To Ride) compatibility. This WTR allows the modern skier to use both their DIN (traditional alpine boots) and also use their Tech Sole boots (Vibram soles or A/T type boots) with the new Sth2. This is accomplished just with the turn of a screwdriver allowing the toe height to be adjusted for the taller sole. The rollers that are in the wings allow the Tech Sole boots to release smoother and as expected. The 18mm low profile chassis combined with it’s wide “Stomp Pedal” AFD and 71mm wide platform allows strong lateral responsiveness so getting the ski onto edge and holding it there is very smooth and reactionary.

Where the new toe is an evolution in design from the previous generations, the heel is where there is a design revolution for this new binding series. Salomon has brought over the heel that they introduced this season in the Guardian to this hard mount alpine series. With this new heel design, Salomon was able to create more lateral rigidity without adding weight. So taking the heel design back to the drawing board has allowed them to reinvent their design with loosing what aggressive skiers demand from their bindings. Brake widths will be offered in 90/100/115/130mm sizes some being standard and optional for the different bindings.

On the snow feel was solid and confidence inspiring, the two main characteristics I look for/demand in a binding. When skiing, I want to know that the binding will release when I expect it to, but more so hold me in when I NEED it to. This past week, we were out on the snow testing the new bindings I put myself in a situation where i needed both to happen. We were skiing at Alpine Meadows on a day when it was a firm refrozen snow and in a turn transition I hit a hard piece of glaze that was hidden in the shade. As I lost my balance I started cartwheeling backwards down the face I ended up in a rearward twisting fall that I felt happen and I felt the ski fly off...as it should have. When I stopped tumbling, I brushed all the snow out of my helmet, goggles and where ever else I shouldn’t have had snow and reset the heel (I was then sure that it was a toe release). I was happy that binding released, as it should have. The rest of the day in skiing refrozen snow, bumps, trees and the sticky snow that came later..I NEVER feared that the Sth2 16 would pre release. Confidence. I am never the one for supporting change for the sake of change but Salomon is doing a fine job with the evolution of this series and I expect the Sth2's to be winners in their price classes.

More pictures and info on Epicski.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	900x900px-LL-e473ee0e_IMG_2283.jpeg 
Views:	1420 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	135020  
    Click. Point. Chute.

Damn, way better price point that the Marker Patrol and will fit tech soles. Sold.

From what I understand it will fit tech soles but the release characteristics won't be any different to current models unless they incorporate a sliding AFD or you use WTR boots. So no change really?

maybe that AFD can move a bit? looks like it is slotted or something, but then the top part looks like a single piece going into the mounting screws?!? I'll have to see them in person.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Thank you for the review, Phil.

I think it´s time to stock up on STH16 Steels, 920s and whatever else lies hidden on the interwebs, as discussed a few months ago.

Kudos to FlexyPhil for risking life and limb(s) to test out new gears.

I just bought a Rossi FKS to round out my binding quiver of Dfits and Sally Sths.

BTW is a long term Krypton review update forth coming?
    watch out for snakes

Could be a good match with the CAST system.

^ my thoughts exactly. tour/hike in your favorite rockered AT boot w/ tech toe, descend in an alpine binding w/ a (theoretically) solid multi-directional release. could be worth a shot. thanks for the review!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Damn, way better price point that the Marker Patrol and will fit tech soles. Sold.
    Sounds like it won't be indemnified for tech soles that are not WTR.

I take it these have the same mount pattern as this years sth?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Sounds like it won't be indemnified for tech soles that are not WTR.
    exactly. it will fit the cochise, quest/max, atomic, k2 boots (which all fit the current 914/916's anyhow), but will have the same compatibility (or lack there-of) with a dynafit/scarpa, etc tech sole.

this binding has the same amount of adjustability/compatibility as the guardian.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    rumors say wider.

norsk

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    rumors say wider.

norsk
    Now that the clamps are on peoples feet we need a confirmation!

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    exactly. it will fit the cochise, quest/max, atomic, k2 boots (which all fit the current 914/916's anyhow), but will have the same compatibility (or lack there-of) with a dynafit/scarpa, etc tech sole.

this binding has the same amount of adjustability/compatibility as the guardian.
    so it sounds like rockered vibram is out. bummer.

random questions -

How many holes - if any - does it have in common with the traditional solly pattern?

How much conflict would the new holes have with the old?

Does the AFD slide?

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Just speculating from pics, but looks like same toe pattern, and a different heel.

might be same front holes on the heel, with the rear holes moved inside onto the track. Looks like a potential hole conflict with the old pattern, which sucks for anyone looking to upgrade. Can anyone confirm?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	900x900px-LL-eb833c4d_IMG_2280.jpeg 
Views:	596 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	135081  

Quote Originally Posted by changodeoro View Post
    so it sounds like rockered vibram is out. bummer.
    I should add that is from the rep at Sia.

You might be able to jam a Vulcan in there, but I couldn't get one all the way in a guardian at full open.

The toe, yes. Heel is a new pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    rumors say wider.

norsk
    Heel and toe platform is wider

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    random questions -

A. How many holes - if any - does it have in common with the traditional solly pattern?

B. How much conflict would the new holes have with the old?

C. Does the AFD slide?
    A. Toes are the same, heel is new.

B. See above. I didn't check the back two of the heel though.

C. No.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Kudos to FlexyPhil for risking life and limb(s) to test out new gears.

I just bought a Rossi FKS to round out my binding quiver of Dfits and Sally Sths.

BTW is a long term Krypton review update forth coming?
    Thank you, it is what I do. Risk life and limb to make your skiing experience better

As far as the Krypton, I have not been skiing the boot much this season.
    Click. Point. Chute.

YES!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

The sooner we get a paper template together for this, the sooner we have sollyfits that fit them. If anyone has measurements, I would be thankful.

I hope they changed the heel enough that it does not conflict with existing mounts.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

I think I'm in love.
    The heal is different, and the afd doesn't slide, but hey, nobody's perfect.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

New mounting pattern is visible in this pic. Four holes, new pattern.

(Nice writeup, Phil)

Last edited by skimaxpower; 03-21-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks for the photo, SMP. Looks wider in the front, narrower in the rear? Also the new brake slides on over the base plate and has two plastic tabs that lock it in (no screw) - hopefully it will work better than the metal tabs that don't always fit . . .