Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

CAST Binding/Green Mountain Freeride/ Lars Chickering-Ayers Binding is live

Finally, the Kickstarter for the CAST Si &I /GMF/Lars Chickering-Ayers binding is up.

Kickstarter :http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ystem?ref=live

Cast Site: http://casttouring.com/

We know there has been a ton of interest in this system based on http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ide-AT-Binding

Once the Kickstarter has enough commitments they will go to production. These puppies have been well engineered and extremely well tested.
    Feel free to ask me any questions and I will answer them or will get the info straight from Lars and the boys. They are unbelievably stoked to get this thing up and running, so any support is greatly appreciated.
    All of the requests for other binding hole patterns, removable heels with different bale designs and the lot ARE BEING WORKED ON. Once they get things rolling on production they will get more parts out there to cover everyone's desires.

Peace, love and deep pow
    Marcus
    Live

Marcus, can you put the toe inserts on full tilts/raichles? Been following these and all the best in development.

Yes, the toe inserts can be installed in any alpine boot. Take a look at the video 3/4 the way down the kickstarter page.

For anyone worrying about the strength of the insert: remember, you're only going up with the tech toe, so loads are extremely low compared to the stress of going downhill. This modification does not compromise the integrity of the boot.
    Live

It says compatible with FKS 15 or 18. Did they mean 14? Can't think of why the 14 wouldn't work with it (same with Pivot).

Yup, the 14 is covered
    Live

If we dont fund these (lack of funds ) will they be for sale later this year?

How thick are the aluminum toe slider plates? Can't be much if the stand height with the mounting plate is 6.5mm. Hope you have some stainless t-nuts in the sliders (or have flathead screws coming from below), 5mm screws in ~4mm of aluminum isn't enough thread to hold the toe, IMHO.

If the sliders were stainless, you'd need about 7.5mm of thickness to match the strength of the screws, and considerably more thickness with aluminum threads. Not saying you need the connection to the slider to be as strong as the screws, but 5mm diameter screws in ~4mm of aluminum seems pretty optimistic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    How thick are the aluminum toe slider plates? Can't be much if the stand height with the mounting plate is 6.5mm. Hope you have some stainless t-nuts in the sliders (or have flathead screws coming from below), 5mm screws in ~4mm of aluminum isn't enough thread to hold the toe, IMHO.

If the sliders were stainless, you'd need about 7.5mm of thickness to match the strength of the screws, and considerably more thickness with aluminum threads. Not saying you need the connection to the slider to be as strong as the screws, but 5mm diameter screws in ~4mm of aluminum seems pretty optimistic to me.
    I think the idea would be to match the strength of a wood screw into the ski versus the strength of the screw itself to mimic the hold down of a typical binding. I would imagine they have more than enough for this force. I would agree though, too thin for full capacity of the screw itself.

I believe they are stainless steel inserts pressed into the aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by alTAos View Post
    I believe they are stainless steel inserts pressed into the aluminum.
    Cool. 1234

Rad.

1. Icing? Seriously. I bet ice makes these frustrating at times.

2. How the heck does the lock work?

3. How do you stow the brakes? I'm hoping not with an elastic band.

4. What are these things going to cost?
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    If we dont fund these (lack of funds ) will they be for sale later this year?
    The molds and other production investments are pretty pricey, so this is hard to answer. This is what the Kickstarter is for, to make sure there is enough interest to fund (warrant) going to full production. Remember, with Kickstarter you are not billed for your contribution until the FULL GOAL IS REACHED. Meaning if it makes it to the goal, we have enough money and interest to go to production. If you want a Si & I system, this is your opportinuty. If you hold out, hoping it will be available later, your investment could be lost. Now is the time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post

There are some sweet hardened stainless inserts pressed in from the back side of the slider. The flange on the insert helps resist pull out. These inserts are very similar to what I use all the time at work (I am an aerospace tooling & robotics mechanical engineer). Ive done plenty of analysis, on top of all the on mountain testing, on these designs. Theyre solid.

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Rad.

1. Icing? Seriously. I bet ice makes these frustrating at times.

2. How the heck does the lock work?

3. How do you stow the brakes? I'm hoping not with an elastic band.

4. What are these things going to cost?

1. There is going to be a hard anodizing on the production parts. The anodizing is impregnated with Teflon, resisting icing. These ice less than dukes
    2. Its a simple slide lock. One moving part, that latches the slider into place.
    3. The brakes are retained by a volie strap. Agreed, its not ideal, but it works fine.
    4. Look at the kickstarter page for various package pricing. The system (no bindings included) is $275. Look at the list of compatible bindings available.
    Live

Saw a proto of these at Powder Week last year, that alone was enough to start the want.

As someone who has "very" narrow and low volume feet, I am pretty much consigned to skiing in alpine boots and using Marker Dukes and Barrons for the occasional skin. The idea of using my alpine boots, with a regular apline binding and then switch to a dynafit type toe piece for the occasional tour sounds a lot more appealing then sticking with Dukes. So a few questions:

1) regarding that boot modification - do the boys at Cast do that for you if you send them your boots?
    2) also, from what their site says, even after the boot mod the boot will still conform to ISO 5355. So from this I am assuming the binding will still work and release as it should even though the sole is now rubber, is that correct? I also have to ask what some think about as far as a ski shop seeing that modified sole - and I wonder if some shops would refuse to mount bindings for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by easternskr View Post
    As someone who has "very" narrow and low volume feet, I am pretty much consigned to skiing in alpine boots and using Marker Dukes and Barrons for the occasional skin. The idea of using my alpine boots, with a regular apline binding and then switch to a dynafit type toe piece for the occasional tour sounds a lot more appealing then sticking with Dukes. So a few questions:

1) regarding that boot modification - do the boys at Cast do that for you if you send them your boots?
    2) also, from what their site says, even after the boot mod the boot will still conform to ISO 5355. So from this I am assuming the binding will still work and release as it should even though the sole is now rubber, is that correct? I also have to ask what some think about as far as a ski shop seeing that modified sole - and I wonder if some shops would refuse to mount bindings for you.

Thanks
    Based on your comment, this is a good system for you. I have dukes because until now, there were no other good options. I hate my dukes.

1. Yup, they have a slick jig they will use to make room for the new toe pad. The modification does not alter the integrity of the toe.
    2. The new toe pad is a hard engineering plastic, HDPE I believe. The new piece is not really rubber, the flat DIN pad that is required for standard bindings is there, so it has no effect on binding release. As such, no shop should turn you away from mounting bindings. As long as that ISO standard is met, the shop has no reason to refuse service.
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    Based on your comment, this is a good system for you. I have dukes because until now, there were no other good options. I hate my dukes.

1. Yup, they have a slick jig they will use to make room for the new toe pad. The modification does not alter the integrity of the toe.
    2. The new toe pad is a hard engineering plastic, HDPE I believe. The new piece is not really rubber, the flat DIN pad that is required for standard bindings is there, so it has no effect on binding release. As such, no shop should turn you away from mounting bindings. As long as that ISO standard is met, the shop has no reason to refuse service.

This setup is sounding better and better the more I learn about it. Thanks for the info.

Just a quick question. Ok maybe it's a little long.

If I pull the trigger now and get the Si&I as it stands now, when they come out with a heel swap plates will I be able to just buy those separately?

Really want to get behind this, I just want to make sure I will be able to retrofit and upgrade when they make it available without blowing another wad of cash later, as I will definitely want them when they're available. I see so much more usefulness coming out of a toe-and-heel slider system than just the toe since I could simply swap out whole bindings without messing with screws in ~10 seconds. This is why I ask. I like the system as-is a lot, but that would just put it on another eschelon IMO.

I am really thinking of just getting radicals and holding onto the heels until the heel sliders come out for this for two fully swappable setups. That way I can use my one pair of skis for all 3 options (regular DH, CAST touring or full low tech touring for longer trips) in less time than it takes to apply a skin, no matter which boots I have on me. I really like that idea a lot.

If you're not annoyed yet, care to speculate on whether or not the heel sliders might be available when these are ready to go for next season? I'd totally be willing to kick in extra cash for that if it was a possibility. Didn't know if you were familiar with how close they are to that or not, but wanted to ask/volunteer for guinea pig duty/beg/plead/etc.

Sorry for the obsessive questioning, but it is a pretty huge leap of faith for me to sell my whole touring setup to get on board and could use some reassurance before I do. Truth be told, even if they aren't planning on releasing the heels for a while I'm still in- but that would just push me right over the edge if they're close.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post

I am really thinking of just getting radicals and holding onto the heels until the heel sliders come out for this for two fully swappable setups. That way I can use my one pair of skis for all 3 options (regular DH, CAST touring or full low tech touring for longer trips) in less time than it takes to apply a skin, no matter which boots I have on me. I really like that idea a lot.
    ^^^ this sounds appealling.
    however, i'm on plums.

if the kickstarter kicks, it sounds like the older dyna toe pattern will be supported.
    what is the possibility of adding the older toe mount pattern to the plates that will be sold throught the kickstarter?
    it couldn't cost that much more to add the new holes to the cnc design.
    admittedly additional pressed threads would have to be added, but with the addition of the older toe mount pattern you would dramatically increase your potential customer base for plates sans dyna toe.
    and i can't imagine that your profit margin on the toe is much, if anything.

just a thought.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ^^^ this sounds appealling.
    however, i'm on plums.

if the kickstarter kicks, it sounds like the older dyna toe pattern will be supported.
    what is the possibility of adding the older toe mount pattern to the plates that will be sold throught the kickstarter?
    it couldn't cost that much more to add the new holes to the cnc design.
    admittedly additional pressed threads would have to be added, but with the addition of the older toe mount pattern you would dramatically increase your potential customer base for plates sans dyna toe.
    and i can't imagine that your profit margin on the toe is much, if anything.

just a thought.

Well I'm on plums too, but this makes the while concept of inserts completely obsolete and personally I'm willing to start over to support the development of a product this fkn awesome.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

^^^ my thoughts as well.

i run plates / inserts on a number of skis and the main issue i have is the time needed to switch binders from ski to ski (not something i want to do in the parking lot / trailhead).
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ^^^ my thoughts as well.

i run plates / inserts on a number of skis and the main issue i have is the time needed to switch binders from ski to ski (not something i want to do in the parking lot / trailhead).
    Exactly. This could make my life much, much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    ...care to speculate on whether or not the heel sliders might be available when these are ready to go for next season? I'd totally be willing to kick in extra cash for that if it was a possibility. Didn't know if you were familiar with how close they are to that or not, but wanted to ask/volunteer for guinea pig duty/beg/plead/etc.

Sorry for the obsessive questioning, but it is a pretty huge leap of faith for me to sell my whole touring setup to get on board and could use some reassurance before I do. Truth be told, even if they aren't planning on releasing the heels for a while I'm still in- but that would just push me right over the edge if they're close.
    from what I understand (by messaging with them), they will be working to get out the product as-is, then they will likely next work on more DH binding patterns like Solly & marker to make all the removable-soled-AT-boots folk happy, then move on to the other stuff.

I just backed it and am getting a system, even-though I might need to get creative to fit it with my boots.

get on it guys! let's make this happen.

An alpine toe that takes a AT boot is key to this.

I echo the full binding swap concept, the toe is beautiful, do it on the heel too and I think you have just entirely solved the multiple ski/binding issue.

2 pairs of bindings, swapable in seconds, for every ski you have for every situation. Boom.

Any chance the toes would fit a plum guide toepiece or do they have to be dynafit radicals?

Quote Originally Posted by |K_M| View Post
    Any chance the toes would fit a plum guide toepiece or do they have to be dynafit radicals?

That was just pretty much answered above you, it seems as though we will be working with radicals for the forseeable future. I have every confidence that when they do become available (the heels and different binding compatibilities) the people who put up money to get them started and out in their original configuration won't be forgotten.

Just one more question for OP, I swear.

I am looking at the $275 donation as I already have FKS 18s but I will most likely need toe inserts in my DH boots too. I won't need the Dyna toe pieces since I'll be opting for a full set of radicals in preparation for that glorious day when there are heel sliders as well- How much extra can I count on spending on getting this done? (it's not included in the $275 option)

Still on the fence. Slider heel would push me over.

Any idea if these will work if you've got skis already inserted for FKS? Always tough to figure out exactly what screws you would need.