Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1173
    Anybody running the CAST system with Cochise AT soles in STH-style bindings? I wanna use 997s but even at max height they can't quite accommodate the Tecnica AT soles - seems like a quick grind/shave of some material off of the bottom would do the trick. I know some mags (kidwoo?, marshal?) have done this - any reports on how much material needs to be taken off and the sketchiness of the result?

CAST Binding/Green Mountain Freeride/ Lars Chickering-Ayers Binding is live

I ran CAST STH with Cochises on powder skis last year. Had releases when I needed them and no pre-releases. Planning on doing the same for hardpack and variable snow skis this year. Been skiing early season hardpack bumps and seems to be going well. No pre-releases, no falls to test release.

I don't really fall on hardpack or variable snow though - I'm usually either skiing fast enough that a release would be REALLY bad, or I'm well within my abilities and won't ever get in a scenario for a release, so tough to say for sure. I can't remember the last time I had a hardpack release, other than a spectacularly dangerous tomahawk from an Axial2 pre-release due to too low of a DIN just last year.

STHs rise high enough - I use an ID card per binding spec. Grinding the soles should work similarly for older Salomons.

FWIW the STH bindings have more height adjustment than the old 997s do. Even the 914/916/etc. series had more height adjustment than the 997s. I've adjusted all three generations for the same pair of Quadrants; 916s and STHs would go high enough, 997s wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I ran CAST STH with Cochises on powder skis last year. Had releases when I needed them and no pre-releases. Planning on doing the same for hardpack and variable snow skis this year. Been skiing early season hardpack bumps and seems to be going well. No pre-releases, no falls to test release.

I don't really fall on hardpack or variable snow though - I'm usually either skiing fast enough that a release would be REALLY bad, or I'm well within my abilities and won't ever get in a scenario for a release, so tough to say for sure. I can't remember the last time I had a hardpack release, other than a spectacularly dangerous tomahawk from an Axial2 pre-release due to too low of a DIN just last year.

STHs rise high enough - I use an ID card per binding spec. Grinding the soles should work similarly for older Salomons.
    That's good to hear, as I'm planning on running the same set up this year (STH2's, CAST, Cochises w/ tech soles). I was less worried about getting the binding to fit the boot, and more with the interface between the sole and the AFD, you haven't done any modifications there?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    FWIW the STH bindings have more height adjustment than the old 997s do. Even the 914/916/etc. series had more height adjustment than the 997s. I've adjusted all three generations for the same pair of Quadrants; 916s and STHs would go high enough, 997s wouldn't.
    Same here. Work fine with my scarpa freedoms with tech soles and s912ti's and my ffg's (basically a 914). Plenty of room/adjustment

Sweet. Thanks for the info, dudes. I'll try 'em out on my 916s tonight. Sounds like I'll just need to use newer toe pieces for the CASTed skis - should be a lot easier than trying to do a precise grind on those AT soles.

Ive been using the cochise/bodacious with and without the tech soles ground down in 997's and haven't had a problem. Was on them all last year and part of the year before that. You have to grind a good amount off the bottom to get any kind of space between the afd and the sole of the boot.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Anybody 'round here trying to offload some heals so they can use toes on casts?

For the right price - how much?

News are that plates from pre order are late and will be shipped the second week of December, since by that time I'll be in a foreign mountain village I'll like to know what screw should I get to secure plates to my quiver killer, I've ordered sth plates.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by thehaze View Post
    News are that plates from pre order are late and will be shipped the second week of December, since by that time I'll be in a foreign mountain village I'll like to know what screw should I get to secure plates to my quiver killer, I've ordered sth plates.

Thanks.
    Are you planning on selling the Cast plates?

Anyone want to guess how the fuck this happened? Guess I just ski that hard.

Noticed it when I got home that one of the toe sliders took much persuasion to get out. Surprisingly the plate attached to the toe piece didn't bend.

I'm guessing the plate will have to come off to get bent back to straight somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Anyone want to guess how the fuck this happened? Guess I just ski that hard.

Noticed it when I got home that one of the toe sliders took much persuasion to get out. Surprisingly the plate attached to the toe piece didn't bend.

I'm guessing the plate will have to come off to get bent back to straight somehow.
    You know that I did giggle a little, right?

They're made of magnesium. Just hold a lighter on them for a few seconds and they'll bend right back.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    They're made of magnesium. Just hold a lighter on them for a few seconds and they'll bend right back.
    Post video too

Not trying to start a fire. Must be a bummer for you that I took elementary chemistry.

Actually though, it would take a good amount of heat to ignite them, hell they make engine blocks (partially) and other components out of magnesium.. It is any shavings lying around that worry me with that method. Not to mention my own doubts of that working.

Edit to add that kidwoo successfully 'pulled the wool over my eyes'. Plates are aluminum.. haha
    Last edited by east or bust; 12-01-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Must be a bummer for you that I took elementary chemistry.
    I hope you feel better now.......

You've ruined christmas!!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I hope you feel better now.......

You've ruined christmas!!
    Aw shucks..

Huge shout out to the dudes. They helped me out with a screw problem in a very timely fashion.

Thanks guys!

Emailed Lars last night about the bend, service was super quick and the issue is resolved!

He said the Marker platform is the only one where there are no screws forward of the locking pin. Even so, this is the first one he's seen bend like that. My momma always said I was specialz.

^That would suck to not be able to switch toes when you needed to walk out of somewhere. I guess you could stomp it down and pray it doesn't break.

I just ordered a set this weekend. What's the last word on leadout times? Not in a huge hurry or anything, just curious.

^That would suck to not be able to switch toes when you needed to walk out of somewhere. I guess you could stomp it down and pray it doesn't break.

I just ordered a set this weekend. What's the last word on leadout times? Not in a huge hurry or anything, just curious.
    Second week of December.

Does anyone know the length of m5 screws for sth?

Has anyone had a shop mount these?

I originally was planning on mounting my own skis, but now am reconsidering (really scared of fucking up a new pair of skis, I've mounted older ones, but new ones just freak me out a bit). Just wondering if anyone had any luck, particularly around Slummit County, CO.

CAST Binding/Green Mountain Freeride/ Lars Chickering-Ayers Binding is live

Get them mounted for the binding you'll be using with CAST, then remove your binding and replace with the plates. Really easy. If you're still squeemish, I'll do that step for you when I get back into town.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Get them mounted for the binding you'll be using with CAST, then remove your binding and replace with the plates. Really easy. If you're still squeemish, I'll do that step for you when I get back into town.
    I think I can handle that. No extra work is needed? Just carefully take the screws out, put them back in the same holes with some epoxy?