Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    here we go, this is gonna be a long one

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Just a quick question. Ok maybe it's a little long.

If I pull the trigger now and get the Si&I as it stands now, when they come out with a heel swap plates will I be able to just buy those separately?

Really want to get behind this, I just want to make sure I will be able to retrofit and upgrade when they make it available without blowing another wad of cash later, as I will definitely want them when they're available. I see so much more usefulness coming out of a toe-and-heel slider system than just the toe since I could simply swap out whole bindings without messing with screws in ~10 seconds. This is why I ask. I like the system as-is a lot, but that would just put it on another eschelon IMO.

I am really thinking of just getting radicals and holding onto the heels until the heel sliders come out for this for two fully swappable setups. That way I can use my one pair of skis for all 3 options (regular DH, CAST touring or full low tech touring for longer trips) in less time than it takes to apply a skin, no matter which boots I have on me. I really like that idea a lot.

If you're not annoyed yet, care to speculate on whether or not the heel sliders might be available when these are ready to go for next season? I'd totally be willing to kick in extra cash for that if it was a possibility. Didn't know if you were familiar with how close they are to that or not, but wanted to ask/volunteer for guinea pig duty/beg/plead/etc.

Sorry for the obsessive questioning, but it is a pretty huge leap of faith for me to sell my whole touring setup to get on board and could use some reassurance before I do. Truth be told, even if they aren't planning on releasing the heels for a while I'm still in- but that would just push me right over the edge if they're close.
    Should the removable heel plates come available, they WILL be available separately to satisfy those who already have the toe system. You wouldnt have to make any changes to what you have other than bolting on the new parts. There is no promise date here. As stated earlier, getting everything already designed into production is the priority.
    If you want more things from CAST, please invest in the Kickstarter. The removable heel, toe sliders for comforts and plumbs and other goodies are not out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ^^^ this sounds appealling.
    however, i'm on plums.

if the kickstarter kicks, it sounds like the older dyna toe pattern will be supported.
    what is the possibility of adding the older toe mount pattern to the plates that will be sold throught the kickstarter?
    it couldn't cost that much more to add the new holes to the cnc design.
    admittedly additional pressed threads would have to be added, but with the addition of the older toe mount pattern you would dramatically increase your potential customer base for plates sans dyna toe.
    and i can't imagine that your profit margin on the toe is much, if anything.

just a thought.
    You are correct, altering a CNC program is pretty easy, but the guys are stupid busy getting what they currently have rolling. Pretty much the only way we are going to see more parts from them is to get them off the ground.
    These guys are not trying to make a ton of money, obviously; they are trying to get a kick ass product out there. Even if you dont want to get in for a radical hole patterned system, please kick in for a sick finger painting, or some CAST swag. Every little bit will help keep them moving to meet your requests. Shop space, electricity, Solidworks Licenses, and the occasional pb+j sandwich cost money.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    from what I understand (by messaging with them), they will be working to get out the product as-is, then they will likely next work on more DH binding patterns like Solly & marker to make all the removable-soled-AT-boots folk happy, then move on to the other stuff.

I just backed it and am getting a system, even-though I might need to get creative to fit it with my boots.

get on it guys! let's make this happen.
    THANKS MAN!!! The faith is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    An alpine toe that takes a AT boot is key to this.

I echo the full binding swap concept, the toe is beautiful, do it on the heel too and I think you have just entirely solved the multiple ski/binding issue.

2 pairs of bindings, swapable in seconds, for every ski you have for every situation. Boom.
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by |K_M| View Post
    Any chance the toes would fit a plum guide toepiece or do they have to be dynafit radicals?
    Until such times as the kickstarter gets funded and production gets rolling, the radicals are the only option. The only way to get plumb plates is to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    That was just pretty much answered above you, it seems as though we will be working with radicals for the forseeable future. I have every confidence that when they do become available (the heels and different binding compatibilities) the people who put up money to get them started and out in their original configuration won't be forgotten.

Just one more question for OP, I swear.

I am looking at the $275 donation as I already have FKS 18s but I will most likely need toe inserts in my DH boots too. I won't need the Dyna toe pieces since I'll be opting for a full set of radicals in preparation for that glorious day when there are heel sliders as well- How much extra can I count on spending on getting this done? (it's not included in the $275 option)
    The Kickstarter has the tech toe conversion at $150
    If you have any requests or special interests about that feel free to shoot the guys an email to work something out: Cast@Casttouring.com

Thanks for all the interest folks. If you want to see more options sooner, the Kickstarter needs love.
    The Touring Expedition is the BEST way to get the most out of your Si&I system ;-). Plus you get to tour with a couple of the best, and nicest guys out there to tour with. Not to mention, they know where the goods are.
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Still on the fence. Slider heel would push me over.

Any idea if these will work if you've got skis already inserted for FKS? Always tough to figure out exactly what screws you would need.
    You're in luck

Each mount plate has the EXACT SAME HOLE PATTERN as the slider. This means you NEVER NEED TO REDRILL your skis to mount the system. Pull off the DH binders, screw the Si&I plates into the same holes, and youre done. No redrilling necessary, no need to move your stance on the ski!
    Live

Iīm going to pledge for $1000, seeing as I both would like the full setup and P18s, also because I think this is THE solution. Donīt care much about the heel sliders yet, but that would actually be a perfect solution for the quiver, so please do that, too.

backed CAST for the plates/toe pieces for FKS's

Keep the money coming!!!

Quick question about the boot lifters that are modded on. Are they necessary, or integral to the function or just to give you better 'treads' while boot packing?

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Iīm going to pledge for $1000, seeing as I both would like the full setup and P18s, also because I think this is THE solution. Donīt care much about the heel sliders yet, but that would actually be a perfect solution for the quiver, so please do that, too.
    Went and done did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    Quick question about the boot lifters that are modded on. Are they necessary, or integral to the function or just to give you better 'treads' while boot packing?
    The new toe isnt really a lifter. They are machining off a small portion of the toe and bolting on a new lower section with intrgrated technical fittings for the dynafit binding. They are 100% necessary to make this system work.

Went and done did it.
    +5 life points.
    Live

I will wait the solly and not-radical toe pattern to become reality, but right now i really would like to help out the guys raising money and i'm not interested on sticker and shirts (i would have too pay too much s.c.) so it will be good if they add an option as a down payment for what will be available in the future..is that possible?

^^^ interesting idea.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

That's kinda what I did. Taking it on faith that either I can actually get solly/marker hole pattern OR I can sort out my boots OR I sell it and buy in on the next round when solly/marker is compatible. Either way, I want to see this happen.
    Last edited by Judo Chop!; 03-19-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Hey samurai, I've been skiing a good bit this year with a buddy that has a proto version from Lars and I'm sold. But yeah, I've got two sets of dynafit bindings that aren't radicals. And the kickstarter setup STILL does not provide a functional system until you hit 600 bucks.......although it implies otherwise by saying you get the 'system' at the 450 mark. You don't. You still can't click into the fuckers to walk up because you don't have the boots set up.

I want to give you guys money, so this doesn't go away. But you're not there yet for folks like me. I don't need dynafit toe pieces, I own them. I also sold my last pair of FKS bindings this year to homogenize but dammit..........I want this fucking setup!!!!!

How may I help fund you while simultaneously making you guys fill the holes in the current offerings?

A cheap production boot JIG and some boot inserts need to be a part of 'the system'. Just sayin.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

$80 to ship 250g to Canada??
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

ya, whats up with that?
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    ... (I am an aerospace tooling & robotics mechanical engineer). Ive done plenty of analysis, on top of all the on mountain testing, on these designs.
    Marcus is not just a nerd, either... he's a hard partying, fun loving, all around good dude...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by vanisle View Post
    $80 to ship 250g to Canada??
    Lars told me the international quotes (I think Canadian, too), arenīt accurate, just an overestimated figure. He told me to just pledge what I wanted to pledge, then work out the shipping details later. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Hey samurai, I've been skiing a good bit this year with a buddy that has a proto version from Lars and I'm sold. But yeah, I've got two sets of dynafit bindings that aren't radicals. And the kickstarter setup STILL does not provide a functional system until you hit 600 bucks.......although it implies otherwise by saying you get the 'system' at the 450 mark. You don't. You still can't click into the fuckers to walk up because you don't have the boots set up.

I want to give you guys money, so this doesn't go away. But you're not there yet for folks like me. I don't need dynafit toe pieces, I own them. I also sold my last pair of FKS bindings this year to homogenize but dammit..........I want this fucking setup!!!!!

How may I help fund you while simultaneously making you guys fill the holes in the current offerings?

A cheap production boot JIG and some boot inserts need to be a part of 'the system'. Just sayin.
    I hear ya. Id shoot the guys an email to see what they can do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Marcus is not just a nerd, either... he's a hard partying, fun loving, all around good dude...
    thanks BD, I do my best

Lars told me the international quotes (I think Canadian, too), arenīt accurate, just an overestimated figure. He told me to just pledge what I wanted to pledge, then work out the shipping details later. Works for me.
    Thanks for posting this. I havent had time to call the guys to see what was up with that.
    Live

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the cost of shipping + taxes + brokerage. but yeah, a bit steep.

I have my boots (Lange RX130) planed due to my terrible pronation and because I race as well. I realize it could have been avoided in some ways, but I chose to plane them. If I got the boot modification done would that change the planing in my boots? Or should I be advised to maybe invest in a different pair of boots for my freeriding and BC days and leave my old pair to my race boards. I am curious because since I am moving to CO next winter I want this system.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInOhio91 View Post
    I have my boots (Lange RX130) planed due to my terrible pronation and because I race as well. I realize it could have been avoided in some ways, but I chose to plane them. If I got the boot modification done would that change the planing in my boots? Or should I be advised to maybe invest in a different pair of boots for my freeriding and BC days and leave my old pair to my race boards. I am curious because since I am moving to CO next winter I want this system.
    Sorry, Cantology shims were used.

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Still on the fence. Slider heel would push me over.

Any idea if these will work if you've got skis already inserted for FKS? Always tough to figure out exactly what screws you would need.
    Also wondering this. got a pair of caylors drilled for 180s with the bindingfreedom inserts, could I use these plates in those same insert holes for the same binding?

Also wondering this. got a pair of caylors drilled for 180s with the bindingfreedom inserts, could I use these plates in those same insert holes for the same binding?
    Seems like that would be a given since the holes are already there for your bindings. Starts getting a little stacked so you might want to just drill the binding holes I would think. The Bf plates are a nice wide pattern so you'd have room.

samurai: thanks for answering everyone's posts. Cool system for sure. I really don't want to see them not make their goal.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 03-19-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Well, the more I look at this setup the more I like it. I also would like to see these guys get this up and running. So I pulled the plug and comitted to a full setup - plates, dyna toepiece and boot modification. I know it's pretty expensive but I think it's a really great idea.

ah fuck it - i busted out for the 2 ski setup. I want to see this happen.

^^^Bird and eastern: thanks a ton. Tell your friends, we still have a long way to go

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInOhio91 View Post
    Sorry, Cantology shims were used.
    I cant answer this one, shoot the guys an email: Cast@Casttouring.com

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Seems like that would be a given since the holes are already there for your bindings. Starts getting a little stacked so you might want to just drill the binding holes I would think. The BD plates are a nice wide pattern so you'd have room.

samurai: thanks for answering everyone's posts. Cool system for sure. I really don't want to see them not make their goal.
    Woo is correct. The mount holes in the mount plate are the same as the DH binding you are bolting to it. Go ahead and mount your skis for the bindings, though its kind of a waste of inserts since you wont need to pull of the Si&I every time you want to switch.
    Thanks man. Im just trying to help my friends. Im not really "in the company", more so a consultant who works for beer and couch space when it snows in the Tetons.
    Live

Fuck yeah, thanks for committing,eastern and bird! I donīt have anything to do with the company, just for clarification. Just really stoked this looks like itīs happening!