Gimp Central Football Club (NSR)

As can be seen on my profile, I have claimed the sweeper spot. I figure that my experience and elephantine presence would be an asset there. I'm sure that there are other soccer threads on this board, but I've notice that there are many soccer mags especially in Gimp Central. So why not put together a squad? Tyrone Soelaces, I figure you for a central middie type, shoelaces always tied etc. Scoober, mybe a rangy striker with good shielding ability and a quick first step? Who else? I really need to use my time more wisely .
    "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!"

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Babar
    Tyrone Soelaces, I figure you for a central middie type,
    well now that's kinda scary...you got my spot exactly. sometimes, I'll make the rare appearance at forward, but 80% of the time, I'm achoring the central pitch

damn I miss playing
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

I can play defensive tacke...oh you mean the other football, nevermind.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Heh. Good stuff, I was just thinking about how I want to play again.

Right mid or center marking back/stopper with a warrant to make runs upfield. Rangy is right, the coaches always used to recognize that I can run all over the place and made me do so. Recently, playing corporate indoor I'm usually setting up plays from defense.

I am a terrible striker because I for some reason have never had the ability to play with my back to the goal. I have no turn whatsoever.

So which whack job around here plays keeper?
    As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.

Quote Originally Posted by scoober

I am a terrible striker because I for some reason have never had the ability to play with my back to the goal. I have no turn whatsoever.
    ehh, forwards don't have to good turning on the goal to be good forwards. they just need to be able to give-and-'go back to that center mid making a slashing attacking run up the middle...which would be me (and how I blew my ACL)
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    that center mid making a slashing attacking run up the middle...which would be me
    You primadonnas are all alike. I will not be a wall for you to pass to yourself off of!

Put me down for center mid/stopper/hack/shittalker. I'm game for hard tackles, in fact, they are my favorite part of the game. Nothing like a hard tackle where the other guy takes a digger over your leg and you sprint away with the ball, especially when the motherfucker has been shittalking you for 5 minutes.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

I'm in for all purpose player, but specialize at outside back who likes to make offensive runs. And back in the day I had a decent throw in that can be used in the attacking third.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

i'll fill the back of my truck up with close dated beer and we'll have one helluva tailgate party.

Awesome, It's coming together! But it looks like a volitile bunch. We still need a keeper, Lego Skier? And I'm looking for a Thierry Henry (Arsenal/France) type for striker. Vinman, how long a throw are we talking? The eighteen, goal box, or can you whip it far post? I don't want you pushing up unless Tyrone's gonna be ready to get back on a long clearance.

I'm not in the fully gimped category (nor have I played much recently), but I had some decent skills as a fullback and have been pulled into Goalie on occasion.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Vinman, how long a throw are we talking? The eighteen, goal box, or can you whip it far post?

Used to be able to hit penalty spot maybe a bit past depending on the field width. No so much anymore but could get most of it back with some practice.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Vinman, how long a throw are we talking? The eighteen, goal box, or can you whip it far post? I don't want you pushing up unless Tyrone's gonna be ready to get back on a long clearance.
    I can cover whoever he leaves behind. At that point we need to have confidence in our strikers that they will take the throw and do something with it to give us time to fill in again.

I have a pretty long throw to and could get near post pretty consistently. Can anyone do the flip?

Quote Originally Posted by scoober
    I can cover whoever he leaves behind. At that point we need to have confidence in our strikers that they will take the throw and do something with it to give us time to fill in again.

I have a pretty long throw to and could get near post pretty consistently. Can anyone do the flip?
    I can/could. It's overrated. I would do it to show off sometimes, and once in a while would get sick distance on it (like past the far post), but no accuracy. Also every once in a while the ball would slip and I'd end up on my ass, throwing the ball 30 yds staight up in the air. The risk of that embarassment was enough to make me not do it in games that mattered even a little. Plus some referees would call it illegal. It's a fun way to imress the ladies, but it never once got me laid .

i played keeper for years but broke my wrist twice and cant do it anymore. ive been a back ever since. either right or center.. either works.. and like char i like to play physical: hard tackles, jersey pulling, elbows up and down the field... i think intimidation is one of the best ways to take a player out of the game. i love the physical aspect!!! (but that doesnt mean im a one-dimensional player. i can still play clean soccer). and i never take physical play to the point where it will fuck our team over and get stupid calls... however i have been known to knock a guy out with an elbow when he was charging the box on a corner, and i once made a guy piss blood from a couple stiff fists to the kidney after a very dirty tackle that put permanent scars on my knee from metal cleats (so it was payback)....

... and i cant play forward.. i get lost up there....

P.S. im not a part of gimp central (knock on wood) so this may be useless but i figure 1 healthy player might help out the team, and i too miss soccer
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

Looks like we have the makings of an aggressive, attacking style team. I prefer a possession style of play, but with our personel, I'm thinking we'll set up a 4-3-3, and carge ahead ala Aston Villa. We still need goal scorers, though.