Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I was stunned to read that Eldo charges for 5 and unders. $12 for a day pass, so ridiculous and so indicative of how fucked that place is.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Plus they dropped their senior passes for next year too... they really know how to endear themselves to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Plus they dropped their senior passes for next year too... they really know how to endear themselves to the community.
    Its always been wild to me how they also adamantly prohibit any and all summer access to the land encompassing the ski area/nordic trails etc. I can't think of any other ski area that does that. Allowing summer access would be such an easy way to improve goodwill with the local community, but they choose to alienate the local population at every step.

Mountain Operations Director - start May 2014
    Join a ski resort on the cusp of a major expansion! Eldora Mountain Resort will be building eight lifts over the next 6-8 years and doubling in skier visits. We're looking for a Mountain Operations Director to start in May 2014. The position is responsible for the leadership and management of Snowmaking, Slopes, Ski Patrol, Terrain Park, Lift Operations, Race and Base Operations. Requirements include 10-15 years of mountain operations experience, a hands-on leadership style and a commitment to employee safety and exceptional guest service. A Bachelor's degree is preferred. Position is year-round with benefits. Apply now at www.eldora.com.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Sad To See The Flailing

I live in Boulder and spend a lot of time, summer and winter, in and around Eldora. Pretty clear to me that Eldora has a failing business model and they are desperately flailing around trying to find a way out. Their latest flails don't seem to likely to succeed to me. Eliminating pass options (like the senior pass) instead of just adjusting the price to be profitable is dumb. And charging $$ for under 5 that just use one bunny lift for a run or two is dumb too, way to kill future customer base.

One possibility is that Eldora goes bankrupt and Boulder County takes the area over and runs it as a public amenity, which would mean opening the trails for summer MTB and trail running use. Plenty of people violate the summer closures now, but every so often there are stories of nasty confrontations.

Whoever takes the Operations Director job is jumping into a frying pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Mountain Operations Director - start May 2014
    Join a ski resort on the cusp of a major expansion! Eldora Mountain Resort will be building eight lifts over the next 6-8 years and doubling in skier visits. We're looking for a Mountain Operations Director to start in May 2014. The position is responsible for the leadership and management of Snowmaking, Slopes, Ski Patrol, Terrain Park, Lift Operations, Race and Base Operations. Requirements include 10-15 years of mountain operations experience, a hands-on leadership style and a commitment to employee safety and exceptional guest service. A Bachelor's degree is preferred. Position is year-round with benefits. Apply now at www.eldora.com.

I made the CMO's son cry when we played little league together, I never liked the place much anyways. I don't live in Boulder anymore, but I probably wouldn't have gone to Eldora even if it was still on the Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Its always been wild to me how they also adamantly prohibit any and all summer access to the land encompassing the ski area/nordic trails etc. I can't think of any other ski area that does that. Allowing summer access would be such an easy way to improve goodwill with the local community, but they choose to alienate the local population at every step.
    My understanding is that at least some of it is a private property issue, they don't own some/all of the property at the base area, and those restrictions are lease-based.

That said, I have always had a hard time believing that those problems were insurmountable, if they wanted to pursue a summer plan ($ talks, right?). Can you imagine how a mt bike park would kill it at Eldo? Downhill biking does not depend on the rad-ness of a mountain from a skiing perspective, and a bike park operation that was very accessible to the front range without requiring I-70 travel would be extremely successful.

They are just so lost on so many levels.

ETA: I think this thread is where my understanding comes from: http://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-fron...er-643078.html
    Last edited by Danno; 03-10-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Never underestimate the power of employees wanting to join up with a larger corporation for the security provides for their jobs. No one gives a shit about customers in a company like that even Vail.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-c...-pass-programs

Dealing with Eldora is maddening. We have a toddler who is starting skiing so we decided to buy next years passes at Eldora because they are good through the rest of this year. But they don't offer the same deal for their "under 5" pass, so we have to buy the toddler day tickets at $12 for the rest of this year and then buy him a pass at the beginning of next year.

And the place would be incredible for mountain biking. Imagine taking the lift to the top and riding that trail that goes from the top of Corona up to Rollins Pass?! What an experience that could be. Or taking the bus from Boulder to Eldora, riding the lifts, and then riding back to Boulder. Wow.

I wish we were talking about how cool of a place Eldora is instead of how cool of a place Eldora could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana Huckalot View Post
    I wish we were talking about how cool of a place Eldora is instead of how cool of a place Eldora could be.
    exactly.

Eldora has been seriously mismanaged by Killebrew.

I swear Eldora could turn HUGE profits if someone who understood the ski industry took over the place.

Look at what it has going for it:

1-The City of Boulder and surrounding suburbs are within 30 minutes of Eldora. Within an hour of Eldora the you have the entire population of Denver Metro Area (4 million plus) This makes Eldora the closest ski area to almost anyone in Denver metro area.

2- Eldora does not require you to drive I-70

3- Eldora is actually a very fun mountain, with some of the steepest slopes in the state of colorado. Salto, Moose, and Placer glades are GNAR. There is some jackson hole type terrain back there.

4 - Eldora has the largest snowmaking system in the state of colorado.

5- Average of 300 inches of snowfall a year,

But instead eldora is a shithole, managed by people who don't understand the ski industry. The mountain doesn't even have a terrain park. What the fuck is that??? Eldora is within 20 miles of CU BOULDER. If there is any college in North America that would support a close by ski resort with a terrain park, it is CU Boulder. Kids at this college fucking love the terrain park.

But NO, eldora is too stupid to understand this. Thousands of college kids drive up to keystone and breck every weekend when there is a perfectly good mountain 30 minutes away.

Also, they are anal about uphill access, even if you have a pass. WTF is that bullshit?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I was there for that 12" day they had a couple weeks ago. I didn't think the crowds were that bad at all. The terrain was so-so. One or two long runs with moderate pitch, a few short steep pitches that last about 4 turns. Corona was fun for just maching down. Playful bumped up terrain underneath the Cannonball(?) lift. The sidecountry is interesting as well. Has a couple short steep pitches that were a blast, and some mellower longer terrain. I'd get bored real quick if that's the only place I could go, though. It was a nice treat when partnered on the Epic pass, but I doubt I'd go again now that it's off. However, it was great place for teaching my daughter and, if I had her more often, I could see myself going there quite a bit, especially midweek.
    I always hear people say that the steeps at eldora are short.

did you ski the salto?

I think some of the pitches back there are definitely more than 4 turns?

i love how everyone has an mba and owns and runs their own business so they know exactly what it's like to have your dick on the line day in and day out

the pass argument is laughable, cry all you want whats the median family income in boulder county and people are bitching about having to pay more for their rich white brats to ski????

vail resorts did away with the senior pass years ago and they rioted in the streets boycotted the resorts and all that bullshit, go fuck yourselves old people, some 70 year old guy is bitching about paying full rate for a pass, give it up the only types of people still skiing at 65 or older have money if your running a business take their money or fold up don't give some rich old white guy a free ride

mountain biking is the stupidest thing eldora could do, LOSS OF REVENUE, how much does is cost to run a lift and maintain a trail, you sell a day ticket or a season pass, only 25% of the people there on a given day will spend money on food and a t-shirt so thats barely $15.00 bucks a head. It's a loss thats why they don't do it

its the easiest thing to sit back and pick apart someones business but it's hell being in the drivers seat

No terrain park?

night skiing, hello?
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    the pass argument is laughable, cry all you want whats the median family income in boulder county and people are bitching about having to pay more for their rich white brats to ski????
    According to wiki, "In 2011 the estimated median household income in Boulder was $57,112, and the median family income was $113,681." Median single family home price was ~$550k (same source, using 2006 data). Zillow says it's ~$500k. So lots of that income goes to housing. Regardless, I think it's fair to say that it's ok for people to bitch about pricing. It's not just "rich white brats". Not to mention that Eldo's price is significantly higher than other similar ski areas in the same region.

I think you underestimate the general knowledge and observations of people on this board. Nobody is saying that running a business is easy. But just because it isn't easy doesn't mean we can't observe a business that we have experience with, in an industry that we know well, and see that they are poorly run. Either you have your head up your ass or are friends with the owner, because the opinion that Eldora is poorly run seems pretty damn universal.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    No terrain park?
    They actually did FINALLY open up their terrain park a few weeks ago. Too little too late. The park is horribly designed and maintained (bad leads into boxes and rails, no noticeable park crew to maintain things)

The two mini jumps they built are downright dangerous to hit. It is obvious they do not have anyone that works there that knows how to properly build a park.

Just another example of the rampant mismanagement at eldora

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    According to wiki, "In 2011 the estimated median household income in Boulder was $57,112, and the median family income was $113,681." Median single family home price was ~$550k (same source, using 2006 data). Zillow says it's ~$500k. So lots of that income goes to housing. Regardless, I think it's fair to say that it's ok for people to bitch about pricing. It's not just "rich white brats".
    Boulder poor = paying someone to drag your shit to ski hut for the weekend because you can't afford a sled yourself.

the schizophrenia is awesome. Complaining about spending a few extra $, then talking about how awesome it is. Clearly it's not awesome enough to be worth a few extra $.

The axis of skevil
    Hello darkness my old friend

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    i love how everyone has an mba and owns and runs their own business so they know exactly what it's like to have your dick on the line day in and day out

its the easiest thing to sit back and pick apart someones business but it's hell being in the drivers seat
    Dude have you been to Eldora recently???

The place is clearly mismanaged. We aren't armchair quarterbacking here... it is painfully obvious to anyone who regularly skis eldora that it is horribly mismanaged.

Also, I am dual majoring ENVS / Business and hope to eventually obtain my MBA

There goes the neighborhood... Eldora now an Epic Pass Resort

Night skiing and a real terrain park would be huge. I don't see the revenue for downhill biking though. You'd need to operate at a substantial loss for a while till you started making it into the black, if ever.

I'd probably buy a pass if they had decent night skiing. Watch TV/Movie or drink... or ski... total no-brainer. I don't think I'd ever get anything done around the house, again, though.

The steep pitch in Salto was pretty short. 6 turns maybe? Moose was 3-4. I ski pretty fast down the fall line, though. Definitely not JHole terrain. Neither in length nor gnar. Its missing cliffs, for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post

3- Eldora is actually a very fun mountain, with some of the steepest slopes in the state of colorado. Salto, Moose, and Placer glades are GNAR. There is some jackson hole type terrain back there.?
    Yawn. The groomers at JH are more gnar than those overgrown windblown glades.

Eldora = Monarch both are fun little A-cup humps with no attitude. They have no place among the real deal ski areas. I hope Eldora stays old school

calling it jackson hole was obviously a huge overstatement but there is definitely some lines in salto that are more than 6 turns in length, and there are definitely cliffs back there as well

calling it jackson hole was obviously a huge overstatement but there is definitely some lines in salto that are more than 6 turns in length, and there are definitely cliffs back there as well

The only thing that happened at Kirkwood was huge gaper Heavenly crowds on powder days and no more overnight parking at the parking lot and fun is no longer allowed, no big deal..........