Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I don't get the Ward thing on here.
    I've driven through there in the summer and there's laughing, smiling, waving kids playing in the front yards.

How much of a bad-ass are they and their parents to exist there?

absolutely, the ones who suffer with this are the boulderites who have the option for shorter drive and smaller crowds. this may horrendously suck, but it's possible that folks like me who plunk down for a 3 or 4 pack are the same folks who will go up with their epic pass. one can hope anyway.

loveland is the final holdout, likely being courted actively. pretty much off limits due to the FTC ruling on A-basin, I'd suspect.
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

The FTC doesn't give a shit about passes, only ownership. Vail didn't buy eldora, they are just offering access.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Employees of Vail Resorts all get Epic Passes as a benefit. I see a lot of the employees in the Broomfield office taking advantage of Eldora since they no longer are as close to Beaver Creek & Vail.
    But, isn't the price of that having to pee into a little cup every now and then?

Stoked. Less fucktard college kids and yuppie tele fags on I-70.

Vail deserves a medal...or a stock price increase.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post

perhaps it didn't occur to you that the people who currently buy Eldora passes can now get Vail, BC, Breck, Keystone, and ABasin added to their pass for $300 or so. Not convinced that it will be a one street of people who would go on I-70 now going up the canyon.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The only time this is going to mean less congestion for the I-70 resorts is when one of two things happen: I-70 closes and no one can get up there, or there's a huge upslope and everyone goes to Eldora (which happens already). I don't think you're going to see any noticeable decrease in skier traffic because of this. I think if anything, Danno nailed it- Eldora pass holders are now going to spend an extra few hundred bucks to ski the other resorts.

Let's all be honest, not many Epic Pass holders are going to choose to ski Eldora over the other resorts more than a few times a year. I did notice that Eldora is taking full advantage of Vail Resorts' email list now, however.

I disagree only because of the Boulder Bubble phenomenon. Boulderites will just have a new reason to stay in the bubble when they know the traffic will be bad.

They should use the gate on hwy 93 more often anyway. Lock 'em in.

I disagree only because of the Boulder Bubble phenomenon. Boulderites will just have a new reason to stay in the bubble when they know the traffic will be bad.

They should use the gate on hwy 93 more often anyway. Lock 'em in.
    I think Boulderites would rather sit in traffic than ski Eldora.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I think Boulderites would rather sit in traffic than ski Eldora.
    From personal experience I can say there is a least one Boulderite that who would rather ski Eldora than sit in traffic. Mostly I write software on the RTD bus to Eldora and bill my time, so sitting in traffic on I-70 would cost me lots compared to billable hours on the bus. Even though I spend lots of time at Eldora I am not at all worried about the Epic pass including Eldora, there is an infinite amount of wind-blasted Front range snow/crud/crust outside the Eldora gates, and the dog-hair trees catch some wind-blown snow too. No chance that the Epic hordes will interfere with opportunities to use Eldora as a launching pad for wind-tunnel Front Range sufferfests, even if they do clog up Eldora's old slow lifts.
    If Epic helps Eldora make enough money to keep the lifts turning, I am all for it. Winter mid-week days have to be massive cash drain, comparing numbers of Eldora employees to Eldora skiers during the week makes it pretty clear that Eldora is bleeding dollars, even if this winter they mostly shut down Indian Peaks lift except on weekends.
    I got more than 99 problems, but Epic at Eldora is not one of them.

I think that MAY happen, but I doubt it. Remember, it's not the Epic Local pass that gets Eldo, you need the full Epic pass. I don't know many people, outside of those who already were paying for an Eldo pass, that are going to pony up the $689 (early season price) for an Epic Pass. A few may, but an additional $160, when the Epic Local already sets you back over 5 bills, is a lot more than many want to spend. I just don't think there will be that many pass holders to make the significant difference in traffic you describe. the ones who are spending that much probably have a place to stay up in the mountains and aren't doing the I-70 Saturday morning shitshow.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by tommyvee View Post
    From personal experience I can say there is a least one Boulderite that who would rather ski Eldora than sit in traffic. Mostly I write software on the RTD bus to Eldora and bill my time, so sitting in traffic on I-70 would cost me lots compared to billable hours on the bus. Even though I spend lots of time at Eldora I am not at all worried about the Epic pass including Eldora, there is an infinite amount of wind-blasted Front range snow/crud/crust outside the Eldora gates, and the dog-hair trees catch some wind-blown snow too. No chance that the Epic hordes will interfere with opportunities to use Eldora as a launching pad for wind-tunnel Front Range sufferfests, even if they do clog up Eldora's old slow lifts.
    If Epic helps Eldora make enough money to keep the lifts turning, I am all for it. Winter mid-week days have to be massive cash drain, comparing numbers of Eldora employees to Eldora skiers during the week makes it pretty clear that Eldora is bleeding dollars, even if this winter they mostly shut down Indian Peaks lift except on weekends.
    I got more than 99 problems, but Epic at Eldora is not one of them.
    Sounds like you already have an Eldora pass, right? We're talking about Boulderites who to this point didn't have an Eldora pass but now do because of the Epic. Those people are buying an Epic pass because they want to ski the bigger mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by rmnpsplitter View Post
    You been to Eldora on a weekend or pow day? It gets crowded, and the lifts are slow as fuck. Friends don't let friends drive I-70, until now...
    haven't been to eldora in awhile. I remember weekend pow days were still pretty empty and no lift lines. I imagine it's definitely a lot more crowded than it used to be given the huge population growth on the front range. Aren't they putting up high speeds now?

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    haven't been to eldora in awhile. I remember weekend pow days were still pretty empty and no lift lines. I imagine it's definitely a lot more crowded than it used to be given the huge population growth on the front range. Aren't they putting up high speeds now?
    Not sure if they are planning on doing that with their expansion or not. Can't remember but I think there was a thread about their expansion a while back. It seems to me like Eldora gets the crowds any time they start hyping "upslope". Weekends are generally crowded, while it's not Vail Resorts crowded its crowded for Eldora's capacity. I dont frequent Eldora much these days either. The wife gets free passes there with work so I get to go here and there, mostly weekend and powdays. Weekday pow days are still pretty good...

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I think I skied there once when I was 8. It was sorta unplanned. I might be one of the only people who flew into CO and skied Eldora.
    I've skied there a few times when I was visiting family in Boulder from the UK just because quite convenient to get to before doing a trip to bigger places further afield.

Ward is scary as anything. My dad and I had to drive through there once and my uncle laughed and said we would have fun when asked why he said we'd find out. The weirdness just kind of hits you, I asked my dad if he'd go to the local shop to buy something if someone offered him £20 and he said 'fuck no'. There was a guy who crossed the road each time a car went past.

Afton Alps (MN) joined the epic club this year too. It's insane to charge $529 for a season pass to a resort that only costs $33/day to ski during the week. Yes, I can use it on a trip out west, but getting out west may be a large if, and it would only be to ski two or three days max.

For comparison, the other local bumps around here charge around $200 for a pass.

I know, I'm bitching and I live in the midwest.

And they're out.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...am-next-winter

Also starting to have separate passes for Nordic.
    Not that it matters, I xc out there all the time and
    didn't even bring my pass because there is no one
    back there checking.

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-c...rce=rss_viewed

Anyone want to speculate why Eldora dropped out? Not enough money money from VR? Too many people crowding the slopes? Didn't want to be associated with the Evil Empire?

And finally... is Loveland going to take their place now?

Thanks for sharing this.

Anyone want to speculate why Eldora dropped out? Not enough money money from VR? Too many people crowding the slopes?
    been skiing windora few years now along with pass at loveland. this last year got the EPIC since it had Eldora, and time for change. I noticed mid week crowds really went up and weekends are a nightmare of epic pass holders. Get there early or don't go. I suspect just what you said, not enough $$$ and WAY more people this year.

This change does not bother me... already made the choice to move to wp/copper pass next year along with windora. could only handle one year of the epic shitshow

I was there for that 12" day they had a couple weeks ago. I didn't think the crowds were that bad at all. The terrain was so-so. One or two long runs with moderate pitch, a few short steep pitches that last about 4 turns. Corona was fun for just maching down. Playful bumped up terrain underneath the Cannonball(?) lift. The sidecountry is interesting as well. Has a couple short steep pitches that were a blast, and some mellower longer terrain. I'd get bored real quick if that's the only place I could go, though. It was a nice treat when partnered on the Epic pass, but I doubt I'd go again now that it's off. However, it was great place for teaching my daughter and, if I had her more often, I could see myself going there quite a bit, especially midweek.

Anyone want to speculate why Eldora dropped out? Not enough money money from VR? Too many people crowding the slopes? Didn't want to be associated with the Evil Empire?
    Hard to know without knowing the details of the financial arrangement. But since Eldora management usually has no freaking clue, I'm going to assume that it was a stupid arrangement that backfired.

Don't know the details, but it has become such an epic shit show of eldorons, they just don't have the facilities to support it. From a business angle, can't have the word out there that you can't show up to buy a day pass because the place is full. They have put signs up in the traffic circle in Ned telling people to turn around and go some on several occasions this year. The day before the Super Bowl was a perfect storm of variables, it was a disaster...

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague