Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Well this is interesting.

I was wrong about the moose.
    10K people limit in summer.

http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/areahistory/eldora.html

"During the mid-1990's, Eldora's master plan came under review by Boulder County officials.

Critical issues included water rights for snowmaking, expansion plans, improvements to the Shelf Road, and possible skier limits imposed on the area. The county's final decision was to only allow 2,500 skiers at any one given time or no more than 180,000 in one season.

Other restrictions included a ban on amplified sound, no more than 10,000 visitors in the summer and a mill levy for the access road. The county's decision outraged management, which quickly filed suit against Boulder. Eldora proposed the county was retaliating on them because they refused to fund road improvements to the Shelf Road.

In November 1996's election, Eldora lost its ballot proposal for taxpayers to subsidize the costs for road repairs. Eventually, the resort and county officials reached an agreement that costs would be split evenly. During the summer of 1997, the resort carried out plans for the Indian Peaks expansion project. This included a new CTEC quad chair as well as 150 additional skiable acres. Since the Indian Peaks project Eldora replaced the old Corona chair with a CTEC quad in 1998."

Yeah, that 10k thing isn't the real barrier. If Eldora wanted to put in lift-served mt biking, I am sure they could work something out with the town, as it would bring a lot of money and people there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I don't think the town of Eldora wants those liftservy types around here. The town and the ski area have been battling it out for decades and it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    there is some great mountain biking on and around their Nordic trails...don't let them catch you.
    Motorcycles, too.

I've had a couple of STUPID deep days at el doorknob. Upslop storms occasionally unload in a big way there, and when they do, and it is caught correctly, it can be really, really freaking good.

Was not much of a secret before this, but now that half the planet will be able to go there, ugh.

Iain

Those Eldora expansion plans are going to need approval pretty damn fast.

On a side note, love the Keystone/A-Basin only pass for $280. Talk about a smokin' deal. Now Monarch is on the RMSP+ too? Decisions, decisions....

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    My friend recently told me their day pass is $79. Where the fuck do they get off charging that?
    Being above Boulder?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Are you sure about that? Eldora is mostly private land, IIRC.

So... does Loveland combine with WP, Copper, and maybe Monarch now?
    Monarch announced today that next year you get one day at WP, one at Copper and one at steamboat!

Employees of Vail Resorts all get Epic Passes as a benefit. I see a lot of the employees in the Broomfield office taking advantage of Eldora since they no longer are as close to Beaver Creek & Vail.
    ....and michigan still sucks

I think I skied there once when I was 8. It was sorta unplanned. I might be one of the only people who flew into CO and skied Eldora.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Man Jerk View Post
    Monarch announced today that next year you get one day at WP, one at Copper and one at steamboat!
    And people who buy the SuperPass Plus (WP, Copper, 6 days at Steamboat) now get 3 days at Monarch!

Just read on TTips that for those folks who already bought an Eldora pass for next year but now want the Epic, Eldora isn't helping them out (ie no refund or "pay the difference").
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Just read on TTips that for those folks who already bought an Eldora pass for next year but now want the Epic, Eldora isn't helping them out (ie no refund or "pay the difference").
    That seems about par for the course for those fuckheads. Even VR management would be an upgrade at Eldora.

That seems about par for the course for those fuckheads. Even VR management would be an upgrade at Eldora.
    Agreed. Eldora management seems absolutely terrible. How on earth you could think it is a good idea to screw your most diehard customers is beyond me.

Nederland is the only place I've ever encountered someone with wooden teeth. (True Story) It is the stangest place in Colorado hands down. The whole boulder drop out hippie vibe mixed with frozen guy in shed thing is just strange. That town makes the Meth problems in Rock Springs Wyoming look small time.

In all seriousness, there are days when I lived there that if Eldo was an option on my pass it would have been highly desireable to avoid the traffic fiasco's. While this is problamatic for their locals, this is a significant win for Vail Resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Nederland is the only place I've ever encountered someone with wooden teeth. (True Story) It is the stangest place in Colorado hands down. The whole boulder drop out hippie vibe mixed with frozen guy in shed thing is just strange. That town makes the Meth problems in Rock Springs Wyoming look small time.
    WTF are you talking about? Maybe in the past but it's about as Boulderized as Boulder the Nedheads just don't want to admit it.

I take it you've never driven up the road to Ward?

WTF are you talking about? Maybe in the past but it's about as Boulderized as Boulder the Nedheads just don't want to admit it.

Yeah, no shit. Sure, Ned is a little odd, it's got a weird mix of old curmudgeon, old hippie, mountain town, and bedroom community for Boulder. Ward, OTOH, scares me.

QFT...

We did have a frozen dead guy for a while though...

Somebody really could make a good horror movie just filming around Ward.

10-4 on the Peak to Peak wackos. The Super Pass Plus thing is huge for me and my wife. With the Steamboat and Monarch add-on I've got a couple of weekend trips for about $100 more than my regular pass. I don't know any pass holder stats but I'd think a fairly large percentage of pass purchasers see value in this.

I'm really liking the tread of passholder benefits to other resorts. I can travel cheap but retail lift tickets (I'm looking at you Jackson) tend to sting.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'm looking at you Jackson
    The Mountain Collective. You're welcome.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

I did once have a gun pulled on me for riding down the wrong road in Ward, so it does have that going for it!

kinda ironic, wasn't eldora all about the anti i-70 thing and now they've aligned themselves with vail?

I guess the only people that will be unhappy about all of this are the Boulder folks who enjoy hardly any traffic and no lift lines...that is about to change.

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    kinda ironic, wasn't eldora all about the anti i-70 thing and now they've aligned themselves with vail?

I guess the only people that will be unhappy about all of this are the Boulder folks who enjoy hardly any traffic and no lift lines...that is about to change.

You been to Eldora on a weekend or pow day? It gets crowded, and the lifts are slow as fuck. Friends don't let friends drive I-70, until now...

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    The Mountain Collective. You're welcome.
    A good deal no doubt. If I wasn't trying dial in my cigarette smoking and headband wearing in Europe next winter, I'd consider it.

Paging Federal Trade Commission...
    An Evolutionary Rider

www.PeaksforPeace.com