Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14

AT Boot Comparative Flex by model (updated)

Quote Originally Posted by goldengarbageman View Post
    Any thoughts on the rating for the Hoji Free Tour? IMO I would give it a 130-135 flex. It was the stiffest boot I tried on (just didn't get to try the Lupo 130C). It was as stiff, or stiffer, than the Maestrale XT. The XT felt amazing on the foot, but I feel going away from the Scarpa ankle strap was a huge mistake. I said not to those boots because the volume in the ankle was too much.
    If you’re not trying them on, while in the cold on the slopes, your impressions aren’t worth much due to different plastics involved. In the shop doesn’t tell you a lot either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    If you’re not trying them on, while in the cold on the slopes, your impressions aren’t worth much due to different plastics involved. In the shop doesn’t tell you a lot either.
    That's fair. In reality, not too many folks get the opportunity to test a boot in cold weather. So, if you have any further input than this it would be appreciated...
    I like huge dumps.

That's fair. In reality, not too many folks get the opportunity to test a boot in cold weather. So, if you have any further input than this it would be appreciated...
    I was thinking about this the other day while fit/flex testing the Hoji Free, Hawx xtd 130 and Tecnica Scout in various ski shops.

A coupla ideas:

1. Shops dedicate some space in a staff room freezer in which to cool boot shells to a more realistic winter temp ( - 15 C ? ) in a reasonably quick time frame.

2. Clamp a set of skis with rental bindings on a somewhat soft rubber layer on an inclined surface. The softish rubber would allow the skis to tilt to some degree in response to lateral angulating movements of tester.

Step into skis and do some ankle rolling/lateral pressuring and fore/aft flexing to at least get a better hint at real world boot flex, fit and feel. The dynamic motions would also highlight potential pressure points and problematic fit areas more effectively as well. Sure the shells would warm quickly but there's probably a reasonable short time window where beneficial intel could be gleaned.
    Master of mediocrity.

Thats why this thread exists. If we all could just test boot flexes in the shop, there wouldn’t be much need for it.

Unfortunately I haven’t skied the Hoji boots yet.

I just got some Salomon Xmax 120's and compared them with my Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro's. Did some carpet flexing at home when clicked into skis. I'd agree with the 125 rating here for the Tour Pro's. And my old Tecnica ZeroG Tour Scouts flexed around 110.

If anyone is looking to stiffen up their overlap touring boots I rode all spring with the Pulse Boot Lab ProFlex "tongues" in the Zero G Scouts which definitely bumped them up 5-10, and didn't effect their walkability. Highly recommend.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Can’t really call that a valid test if it was at room temperature, no?

Can’t really call that a valid test if it was at room temperature, no?
    Yeah I'd agree on the Tour Pro's but I had a whole season on the Tour Scouts in lots of different temps.

After many more seasons in the full ZGTP still feel the same.

This hasn't been updated for a while but then it relies on user contributions.
    Bump for boot nerds

I'll update for
    - Hoji ProTour
    - 2024-5 Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro
    - Atomic Backland XTD 120
    - Atomic XTD 130 Boa

Safe to add the hoji free 130 in the 135 slot with the lupo ax 130 on your list. Free 130 is def stiffer than both hawx xtd 130 and vulcan and similar stiffness tp my lupo c ti

Sent from my SM-S711W using TGR Forums mobile app

No love for the Roxa R3 130 TI I.R ?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I’d say that the Lupo 130c is just a touch stiffer than the R3 130 ti. It might be just that the Lupo is heavier and the flex is more “dynamic” with the R3 130.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Buster. Am interested in the Roxa too but haven't skied it and would appreciate more data points. Thx MUnicorn. I'll add that.

Question. The 130 flex is getting crowded. How to make it more granular?

For example I had the Lupo 130, Cochise, Mindbender carpet tested and thought they were stiffer than the Hawx and ZGTP 130. But are they 140? Or a "130+". Am scratching head on how to slice that one up tbh

Some need to be downgraded i think. Its not clear what any of the flex numbers really are. It varies year to year as boots get stiffer. Companies cant even agree on what a 130 is. There's a fairly noticeable difference between a vulcan/xtd 130 and a lupo 130. A lot of work to reorganize all these boots though. The thread has made relatively clear where they stand. Maybe 3year age brackets within a flex segment. Ie 130 (2018-2020) 130 (2021-2024)

Sent from my SM-S711W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Buster. Am interested in the Roxa too but haven't skied it and would appreciate more data points. Thx MUnicorn. I'll add that.

Question. The 130 flex is getting crowded. How to make it more granular?

For example I had the Lupo 130, Cochise, Mindbender carpet tested and thought they were stiffer than the Hawx and ZGTP 130. But are they 140? Or a "130+". Am scratching head on how to slice that one up tbh
    The only AT boot comparison I can do is the Scarpa Maestrale, the orange ones which seemed awfully floppy. The Roxa R3 120 TI I.R is much, much stiffer, but still progressive in flex.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Hoping somebody can add the following: Ridge Pro, Transalp Pro, Skorpius I and II, XT3 Tour pro, and Vanguard, Backland Carbon, all of the F1 XX variants and Quatro,....

Zero G Peak?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Lord Thomas, I've skied a few of those boots on your list (Ridge Pro, XT3 Tour Pro, Backland XTD 120) and I'll throw in my 2 cents. I can do some comparisons with the Scarpa Maestrale RS, which I've skied a lot over the years.

I certainly don't have the experience that LeeLau has in these matters, but my only 'beef' with his list is that I would have the Maestrale RS stiffer than a 105. I'd say more like 115 (at least the 20/21 version).

In order of stiffest to least stiff:

XT3 Tour Pro - Ridge Pro - Maestrale RS - Backland XTD 120

The Ridge Pro and Maestrale RS were close, but I'd say the Ridge is just a hair stiffer.

If I had to assign numbers I'd say something like this:

125 - XT3 Tour Pro
    120 - Ridge Pro
    115 - Maestrale RS
    110 - Backland XTD 120

A quick note on the Backland XTD 120...It seems softer than the above boots in forward flex, but I think it's stiffer laterally than forward. Also I found the forward flex to be nice and smooth. It skis well for how awesome it walks, I'm happy with it. No problem driving 108 waisted skis in less than perfect snow.

Thanks whatsupdoc! I'm going to revise the RS and Backland XTD to your rating. Appreciate the input.

Also not to derail this thread so put a question about Backland XTD in separate thread

Summit. I'd give the ZG Peak a 110. But have only skied it once and on groomers. What's your take?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Summit. I'd give the ZG Peak a 110. But have only skied it once and on groomers. What's your take?
    Tend to agree... softer side of 110 probably more 105. I think I have 40 or 50 days in mine. So much better than the Alien RS or TLT5Ps... just a different class.

After spending nearly a decade in G-Rides and Spirit 3s it is just amazing where boots are today.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.