Plum J'Envoie Du Gros and quiver killers?

Hi!

Anyone tried this combination? Which fastener set should I go for? How long are the screws? Anyone with some info?

I've searched all of tech talk and don't think that binding is compatible with inserts.......

I don't see why it should not be compatible? Should just be like any other binding, find the correct M5 sized screws?

From what I understand the mount width of the binding is not guaranteed to work on all skis, as it is wider than the standard norm. I think you therefore need to be careful as on some skis it will mean that the binding is mounted into an area of the skis that is not re-enforced.

I hope that makes sense. Logically if you have a ski that can take that binding I cannot see a reason why putting in inserts would be an issue.

I know that it is not quaranteed to work on all skis, because it is wider. But than again, should it not work a bit better on skis with that problem? Since the inserts seems to make it harder to rip out of the skis?

It makes sense.

Search for johndrums or binding freedom. All the info is in the threads.

Screw length will be whatever the plums are plus the riser.... Should be easy. Order from John.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

For whatever it is worth:
    I have two pairs of DPS pures mounted with dual inserts for Guardians and Plum J'Envoie Du Gros. I initially went this route so I could seamlessly switch between alpine and tech setups. After ~30 days on the Plums, including both touring and plenty of inbounds pounding, not a single problem with the bindings or mounting/inserts.
    When I received my first pair of J'Envoie Du Gros I was so impressed with the quality I immediately purchased a second pair. Now these are really the only binding I ride, except for maybe the occasional dedicated mogul/inbounds day. I wasted my time with the dual insert plan as whenever I'm not on pure/plum/vulcan setup I find myself wishing I was.
    And as someone else previously mentioned there is really no logical reason any binding (or anything for that matter) couldn't be mounted with inserts. I also buy into the thought that properly installed inserts should in theory provide additional strength compared to traditional mounting, although neither should fail in any reasonable situation.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the inputs

I think I will mount with inserts. I mostly ski tour here in Northern Norway, since our local resorts are not that good. But I do travel a bit, and then do some resort skiing and have a rossi fks 180 for that cause. I am also very impressed with the quality of the "monster" plum binding. The skis are allready drilled for the rossis, so now I think I will just redrill with inserts and add inserts for the plum bindings.

Which fastener set did you go for on your DPS? Also very pleased with my Vulcanos.

Quote Originally Posted by another skier View Post
    on some skis it will mean that the binding is mounted into an area of the skis that is not re-enforced
    The mount is wider than the binding matt of most skis according to someone knowledgeable in the Plum thread (Jondrums or Marshal I think).

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    The mount is wider than the binding matt of most skis according to someone knowledgeable in the Plum thread (Jondrums or Marshal I think).
    Here is where I see the question with mounting the Plum J'Envoie Du Gros. Both these free-touring options were designed for a stout performance ski not a fat light powder weight ski. Big skis come in all shapes, sizes and weight. Where a ski binding plate really comes into place is when the skis are focused on fat and light. They need that extra retention and the ISO has created that for Alpine bindings not tech. IMO you dont need a Plum J'Envoie Du Gros on a ski that is designed to be a light fat touring ski. You are focused on the uphill as well as the downhill with this purchase. A standard guide will suffice for this.

Also, when it comes to skis it works on to doesn't work on I would say if you have a solid wood core ski, something with a metal top sheet or something with a binding plate that goes edge to edge your pretty solid. Inserts if you wish to swap around. With the J'Envoie Du Gros mounting on something that does not have a flat topsheet could be an issue, say like the ribbed for your pleasure BD skis. All K2 skis go edge to edge so no problem, same with Blizzard and many others. Obviously working on DPS with inserts. You just need to position your needs. The Yak or the J'Envoie Du Gros are great free-touring bindings for the right ski/boot and both offer a lot of benefit to that skier looking for a lower stack height, flatter ramp and wider mounting to get the pressure to the outside edge and also has the touring block integrated into the heel.

Really these two bindings the YAk and J'Envoie Du Gros are positioned to go up against's beefier non tech alpine touring options where the skiers weigh in these benefits against the other options on the market. So after my long winded explanation I'll say this. Plum tech binding options are about a system,ski, boot and binding. It is as important to know your ski as it is your binding.

I just spent some time around Verbier on a Kabookie, Cochise 130 and a Yak. What I appreciated was the weight lost on the "whole system" compared to a plate binding setup and the performance and loss of weight benefit when booting up couloirs or skinning routes and kick turning up steeps. Also the lighter swing weight edge to edge when skiing. Yes these bindings fall out of ISO norm but in the end it's not about the binding plate its about retention capability of the ski.