Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What's the word on Liberty Variants???

Only a couple of tests on hard pack last spring and I've heard nothing since. Who has driven these things? Where do they fit into the great continuum sweet boards that are on the market now days???? Shit, somebody say something..............

I'm doing some binding testing this weekend and the bindings are mounted to a Variant. I should be able to give some feedback come Monday. Our weekend storm seems to be petering out a bit so it may not be such a comprehensive test.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Nobody else has touched them???

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Nobody else has touched them???
    I tried them at a demo and really enjoyed them. They haul ass, bust through crud, and float pretty well in the limited powder I found. They might be the most stable skis I've ever been on. You can definitely feel the metal, but unlike some other metal skis I've tried, I found them to be a bit lighter and have more feel. It's definitely a charging type ski. You do need to be forward on them or they will take you for a ride. I think it's a really sweet ski that I plan on picking up next season. I'm more of a twin tip guy, so they took a bit to get used to, but once you find that sweet spot they are awesome. I really like the waist width for an all conditions ski. They ski like a GS ski but with some rocker in the tip to get into the turn a bit easier and more float in pow pow. It's a great ski. Not sure why there are not more reviews.

I agree with angler99 about his observations on the Variant. It feels like a new category of ski to me, and it wound me up with big grins from the first few turns....but I only had a handful of runs on a pair... I have not been on the Variant since the demo day last spring, but hoping to find a pair to get more time on and do a full review...also....rumor has it there is a narrow version in R&D (97mm). If this is true, that ski could be a race-like East coast freeride machine to be reckoned with...time will tell...it's all rumors 'til they make it in the catalogs... stay tuned..
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Oh shit!!!! A 97 sounds like an optimal, lift served, daily driver in the PNW. More observations on the Variant required. Why don't you jongs just go buy some and give me the report.

LT

More info needed. Just make something up if you don't know anything.

Sorry man, only Libby ski in the test was a helix and I didn't get any time on it.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Too bad Heel, they are great sticks

More info NOW!

Just picked up a pair of these for the season, Ill post some feedback when I have it.

Just reviewed the 172cm and 186cm Variant 97 for a few weeks.
    Great daily-driver for people who want a ski with directional stability, carving prowess and crud-cutting power. The harder you drive it, the better it goes. Not a fluffy surfer. Addicting ski for people who like to drive their skis instead of ride them passively. Pretty easy-handling for a ski with a high-end speed limit. Bamboo core (lively) with Titanal embedded in the top of the core for dampening and stable behavior. Nice work.

Review is up HERE. I will post more info in a new thread later on when I get time..
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticSkis View Post
    Just reviewed the 172cm and 186cm Variant 97 for a few weeks.
    Great daily-driver for people who want a ski with directional stability, carving prowess and crud-cutting power. The harder you drive it, the better it goes. Not a fluffy surfer. Addicting ski for people who like to drive their skis instead of ride them passively. Pretty easy-handling for a ski with a high-end speed limit. Bamboo core (lively) with Titanal embedded in the top of the core for dampening and stable behavior. Nice work.

Review is up HERE. I will post more info in a new thread later on when I get time..
    The Variant 97 sounds like the reincarnation of the original Legend Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Talking Monkey View Post
    The Variant 97 sounds like the reincarnation of the original Legend Pro.
    Can anyone confirm what Talking Monkey says? Maybe a bit easier skiing w/ the rocker, but close to as damp feeling?
    He who has the most fun wins!

I've only been on the 179 Variant 113 (they didn't have the 186 available), but its not quite the old school crusher feeling. Its not bad, but I felt like the tip should have been stiffer. The 186 may be better. I thought the MX98 and Head Monster 98 were the closest to the old school Legend Pro. They'll be bottom feeders though, just like it. The Invictus 108 was probably closest with a higher-float tip. The Fischer Ranger 98 was right up there too - COMPLETELY different ski from the Ranger 108 (which sucked donkey dick).

I'll be writing a metal charger midfat ski preview shortly.

Just bought a pair from Sierra Trading Post for a rather attractive price. They don't have any camber underfoot... Hmm. Since these are my hard snow skis, I do kinda like me some camber underfoot. Tip rocker is a slight early rise. Tips are fairly soft actually. Mid and tail are medium, although I will say my flex fondling abilities are definitely out of practice and somewhat suspect...
    He who has the most fun wins!

Interesting. My pair that I just returned to STP had a lot of camber.

I have 13/14 Variant 97 186s. Each of them have about 3mm camber. Tips are not soft.

Are there QC stickers on the skis?
    Many B-grade liberty skis are sold on auction in Japan last year.
    Some of them didn't have any camber.
    http://aucfan.com/search1/q-liberty/...4698/t-201412/

How about returning them and buying these?
    http://www.telemarkdown.com/store/skis/volkl-mantra/

Quote Originally Posted by j0z77 View Post
    I have 13/14 Variant 97 186s. Each of them have about 3mm camber. Tips are not soft.
    Strongly considering buying a pair, care to give your impressions of them and how they ski?

Fuck it. I'm getting a pair.

Anybody who's been on a pair.............are these essentially Bones with a personality?

Haven't been on the Variants, but I was seriously considering a pair of 186's on the cheap last week. I talked to Liberty and I think the Bonafide comparison is apt.

I also emailed Jonathon at Blister and he said they'll have a review of the Variant 97's coming up.

Fuck it. Bought a pair of 15/16's. I'll let you know what I think about them if I get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Fuck it. Bought a pair of 15/16's. I'll let you know what I think about them if I get around to it.
    I've been on the 186cm 97s (2013, maybe? not sure if they've made substantive changes to the new models) since the middle of last season. Mostly skied at A Basin, Copper, Monarch. I don't have a ton of experience with other skis with these dimensions, but I love these things so far for the Front Range. It's crazy how well they handle hard snow (which was an absolute requirement for me), and they're super stable and damp without feeling lifeless. The edge grip and torsional stiffness inspire confidence on steep, bumpy, technical terrain (think the stuff under Pallavicini or...most of Taos or Telluride), and when things open up these things can really haul in all sorts of conditions short of knee deep powder. At they same time, they're not super demanding and high strung, so you don't have to be hammering all the time to enjoy them. It's hard to write about skis without resorting to cliches and superlatives, so I'll just say that for me, they have proven to be a pretty ideal daily driver in Colorado. In other words, ExoticSkis really did a great job on his review

Made in China . . . not the highest quality control from what I've heard.