Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: NE Riding 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    I'm going passless this year as well. Cannon will still be homebase ($10 off if you buy a ticket at rodgers in Lincoln) for the most part, hopefully do a lot of touring this year. Mid-week can sometimes be hard to swing, but I've gotten away with it when I want to before, so could be down for that.

I'm on minions for tires and would probably still be on a 29er.

Ya, Sport Thoma gives a discount also. Then again every year things change...

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Sweet, thanks.

How long should I expect Red Tail to take for the down?

Not sure if I will climb the road or get dropped off yet, schedule and kids nap timing will pretty much dictate that....
    I'd either climb the trail or climb the road, its not too bad. Maybe 15-25 minutes for the down? I'm not really sure to be honest, I can't remember.

Can anyone recommend a shop near Keene, NH? My brother just moved back to school there, and needs some wheel work done.

What are people using for lights these days? I tried to search but I'm on my phone sorry...my lumina 650 just burnt out (hint don't let your kids use yours as a flashlight...) and I tried to order another but amazon said they were discontinued?!

Man, light choices are crazy! Sooooo many options. I'd say ask yourself what is the absolute most you are willing to spend, and go from there.

I'm a fan of Cygolite got one of these for the helmet
    http://www.cygolite.com/products/turbo_800.html

and one of their larger dual beam things for the bar.

They are a good compromise of price/weight/size/light, IMO. Yeah, not as crazy all out powerful and bright as some of what is out there, but they give me more than enough light, particularly with the two light setup.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by angry swede View Post
    Can anyone recommend a shop near Keene, NH? My brother just moved back to school there, and needs some wheel work done.
    there is currently three shop's open in Keene, afaik.
    do not go to Andy's, guy is a world class asshole.
    Norm's is close to campus and they do pretty good work.
    new shop in town, called Advanced Cyclist, i have not been in there yet.
    i use West Hill Shop in Putney, VT. really laid back with great service.

holy shit boys, did i wreck hard last week at Ascutney.
    slow speed OTB, onto a granite slab.
    went unconscious twice, banged up my hand and wrist, and generally rattled myself hard.
    sat on the dirt road at the end of South Ridge for about a half hour, and my buddy Pete was talking to me etc...
    finally was able to hop on and ride the dirt road back to 44.
    haven't riden all week, i'm hurtin!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Shit man, you gotta watch that Stab Slab. I was gonna page you as I am thinking of heading that way this weekend, hope you are recovering well.
    T-storm yesterday cleared teh dust and tacked da dirt to grippy perfection on the front door trails. That and a dewpoint in the 40's = mtb bliss.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Thanks for the rundown, Buttah. Heal up that sounds like a super scary crash.

Ouch dude, that doesn't sound fun at all!

I gimped myself two weekends ago, 12mph and clipped a tree on a fireroad and dumped myself onto my bars. My thigh is all bruised and my knee still isn't feeling right (hopefully the Dr says its nothing). Then Saturday one of our crew broke his collarbone at Sunday River. Stay safe out there, the weather is way too nice to not ride!

the weather is way too nice to not ride!
    tell me about it! trying not to lose my mind!

damn everyone...stay upright.......or atleast pad up!

Ouch dude, that doesn't sound fun at all!

I gimped myself two weekends ago, 12mph and clipped a tree on a fireroad and dumped myself onto my bars. My thigh is all bruised and my knee still isn't feeling right (hopefully the Dr says its nothing). Then Saturday one of our crew broke his collarbone at Sunday River. Stay safe out there, the weather is way too nice to not ride!
    Weaksauce! And I just got back.

Quick semi mtb related tale: hour 14.5 of a 15 hour drive and a few deer darted onto the highway. Managed to swerve around 'em, but the lead charger clipped the side of the car and the hitch rack, taking out two bike rims and a made-to-fail piece on the 1upusa- which clearly helped minimize the damage. We were really fortunate all-in-all, but I have to give love to the rack yet again. 1upusa racks are of rediculously high quality. Off to Willowdale for the afternoon. Howdy NE, good to be back.

Planning on stopping on my way back from work Wednesday, somewhere north of Boston. Anyone going to be out mid to late afternoon?

I have to make a stop in Milford, so I'm thinking Vietnam around 2 (if anyone is around).

You MA and NH guys, gotta' pick your brains again.

Three days, last day at Highland - it'll be the only one they will be open - Thursday. Am looking to go up via 91 and over on 9, then up 93 the rest of the way. Mostly just because it'll be some are new to me. Even popping over onto 202/2 or other smaller roads works if it gets me to some cool stuff/good riding/food/whatever. I've been to the Holyoke stuff a couple times already - liked it, but am looking to ride some new to me areas. Good or at least decent stuff around Keene? Suggestions? Suppose I could make Bear Brook one of the days. Haven't been, hear it's mellow but good. Leominster SF?

September 10-12th.
    Last edited by scrublover; 08-28-2013 at 02:05 AM.

You could keep heading up 91 to Ascutney. Then head over to Highland on Rt. 11. You could even stop in Newport, NH and ride the mighty Pinnacle for a couple hours.

Looks to add only about 20 miles to the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    You MA and NH guys, gotta' pick your brains again.

Three days, last day at Highland - it'll be the only one they will be open - Thursday. Am looking to go up via 91 and over on 9, then up 93 the rest of the way. Mostly just because it'll be some are new to me. Even popping over onto 202/2 or other smaller roads works if it gets me to some cool stuff/good riding/food/whatever. I've been to the Holyoke stuff a couple times already - liked it, but am looking to ride some new to me areas. Good or at least decent stuff around Keene? Suggestions? Suppose I could make Bear Brook one of the days. Haven't been, hear it's mellow but good. Leominster SF?

September 10-12th.

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    You could keep heading up 91 to Ascutney. Then head over to Highland on Rt. 11. You could even stop in Newport, NH and ride the mighty Pinnacle for a couple hours.

Looks to add only about 20 miles to the trip.
    That's not a bad idea - rode at STAB once last fall and liked the place. Will have to look up Pinnacle - don't know that one.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    do not go to Andy's, guy is a world class asshole.
    Truth.

The guys at advanced cyclist are great and knowledgeable. The mechanic at norm's is great, West hill is a good bit, but 30-40 minutes from keene...

Heal up buttahflake! Sounds like a rough one!

Whoops.

Hopefully the big S has something for me early next week.

This thread has been quiet the last few weeks.

Still a very fun feature!

Whoops.

Hopefully the big S has something for me early next week.
    Is that bent right in towards the tire? I'm having a hard time seeing it.

Yeah, its basically at the center of the picture. There's a hairline crack forming at the top of the chainstay, it hasn't gone all the way through yet, but wraps around to the underside of that top piece (the chainstay turns into a u-shaped piece as it comes back together).

Caught it much earlier than a friend did on his stumpjumper:

duct tape

No joke, someone a friend rides with zip tied their big hit's top tube. I didn't see the crack, but from what everyone was saying it wasn't in a catastrophically bad spot. Either way, freaks me out a bit haha.

Bbbbblog!

Very happy to be back in NE as fall sets in. I love it here. Going up big and coming down big is cool, and big mtn. trail building is unbelievably rad- its simply silly to argue east versus west, so I won't.

I will say this, though- N NE up and down is plenty rad itself, and the trail building in NE is spectacular. S NE is its own sick animal too- as you all know, the trail building history in CT, RI and MA is 30-40 years old. Factor into the equation America's Bike Park and Killy and Someday Never, etc. and I really think, based on my limited experience, that NE riding is a special animal that rivals the big stuff out west. I guess not for distance and views, but bigger wins that every time. In response I say: we've got foliage bitches!

So far I've got a couple Willowdale days, a bunch of LLF days, come Otis funnin', and today a little Cutler with some friends just getting into mtb. Hello Highland next weekend, see what Killington is all about the weekend after that, Burke and Highland in Oct. I lurve it here.

Looking for a kind sir or madam to show me around Bear Brook some coming Sunday too.

How y'all doin? What's new? I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them up. I'll try to make them worth looking at. Rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post

Looking for a kind sir or madam to show me around Bear Brook some coming Sunday too.
    Sign me up for the Bear Brook tour. Im also looking to ride some place near Brattleboro, VT.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com