Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1122
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    What is the motivation for getting rid of the CCRs? IMO they rock if the bias is softer snow of ay kind &/or more pivoty turns. They are noticeably looser than the standards. The standards do better across more mixed conditions - esp if icy. Though last I heard, Tabke was still on CCRs...
    I was going to get rid of them for those mixed conditions, i was thinking they were going to have an overly tough time with chop, and figured why not just go for the standard if I could find one. But after mounting them up and skiing them both with and without much snow they have inspired some confidence, and I'm just going to keep them.
    "Once you get past the smell, you pretty much got the thing licked"
    -Don Jorgenson

Too late, I've already shipped mine to you!

...Oh well, I guess I'll just have to continue enjoying the 192's resort crushability... They are a really fun ski to have lying around...
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

I'm looking for 182s if anyone is interested in getting rid of a pair

Quote Originally Posted by giacobn View Post
    I'm looking for 182s if anyone is interested in getting rid of a pair
    EVO still has 182s on sale.

can't wait for winter...........................

51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Gf just picked up the last pair of 175s off EVO. Stoke is high here. Now if we can just get some free time to slay some corn.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I hate to JONG up the thread but I'd like a little input from the collective re: size and mount point

My wife and I 99% sure are relocating making red mountain in rossland bc my future local hill. I'm reasonably sure the GPO is the ski that I want for comfortable skiing in burly terrain. The vaunted "playful charger" if you will.

I think what I want is 187 and mount -1 from dimple based on my research. Looking at a used pair with 2 mystery mounts so chances are I'll get one mount of my choice and be stuck with it. Skis will be mounted with s916 for whatever that tells ya

So here's what I currently have that's influencing my decision. I'm 5'9 and 185, decently good skier but not tabke. My max comfortable drop is probably like 15', not the reddest guy on the hill but trying to step up. If I end up skiing red a lot I'm sure I'll be better at burly shit by the end of the year just haven't had a lot of opportunity to ski that stuff

195 powder board. Great in 3d snow, I don't need another powder ski
    184 h2o Tazlina. 1st year, basically praxis bc. I like these a lot but want something burlier in bounds

186 gunsmoke. I like these a lot, but bought used and had to mount at +.5, they're squirrelly at speeds, internet says -1.5 is money, I believe that

And last but not least 1st gen 193 cochise mounted on the line. I like these but have to admit they're too much ski for me. I've had plenty of fun with them but don't feel comfortable taking them into exposed or tight places. Just not man enough I guess

Thanks for any input, don't want to bother Keith because a new pair isn't in the cards right now

I'm about your size. Currently own a pair of 187s MAPs med/stiff, have skied them at 0 and -1, have them at -1 and like them there.

They're a great ski, very versatile. Super comfortable in everything I've really thrown at them. I think they'd do a great job for what you want.

I also have a pair/steal my brother's pair of 186 on3p billy goats from time to time. Those are definitely worth a look. Not sure what Red is like - but I'd say the BGs are better for more aggressive skiing, but require that style (no getting backseat). GPOs are more forgiving and easier to ski, less work, not as good in powder or quite as solid underfoot.

I had both 192 and 187 GPO. 187 was way more versatile and both were good at -1. 192 is a charger at least for me so I kept the 187
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I'm about your size. Currently own a pair of 187s MAPs med/stiff, have skied them at 0 and -1, have them at -1 and like them there.

They're a great ski, very versatile. Super comfortable in everything I've really thrown at them. I think they'd do a great job for what you want.

I also have a pair/steal my brother's pair of 186 on3p billy goats from time to time. Those are definitely worth a look. Not sure what Red is like - but I'd say the BGs are better for more aggressive skiing, but require that style (no getting backseat). GPOs are more forgiving and easier to ski, less work, not as good in powder or quite as solid underfoot.
    This has been my experience as well with both of these two skis (2015/16 models): 182 MAP/Carbon GPOs (-1) & 184 Billy Goats (on the line). I'm thinking I could be equally happy with 187 MAP GPO's, but given that the 184 Goats are in the quiver, it's a better mix. 5'9" 170 Lbs - aggressive, but by no means a charger.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Pulled the trigger on used 187s

Shorter/softer hand flex than expected. Word on the street is they ski stiffer than they flex.

Mounting them Friday, maybe skiing hood in 2 weeks. Looking forward to tryin em out

Congrats...the word on the street is correct in my experience. Not sure what Hood is like in July, but GPOs kill it in deep slush. Have fun.

I got mine out for the first time today! Nearly flawless condition 187 MAP carbons from N1CK on the board here. Tried them out on a classic local tour and they did all I asked of them so far. They pivoted, they slarved, and they carved. Most importantly they were still pretty easy going on the sketchy trail skiing at the end of the day despite having plenty of backbone for the good part. Pretty stoked, all the turns went right where I wanted 'em on this second run of the day without anything funky happening. I think things are gonna work out between the GPO and I in the pow touring department. Able to switch between a nice variety of slarvey turn shapes, carve with confidence on the runouts, and also drift them sideways when needed in pow or on the sketch trail egress without them hanging up.

Tracks on the left.

"The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    I got mine out for the first time today! Nearly flawless condition 187 MAP carbons from N1CK on the board here. Tried them out on a classic local tour and they did all I asked of them so far. They pivoted, they slarved, and they carved. Most importantly they were still pretty easy going on the sketchy trail skiing at the end of the day despite having plenty of backbone for the good part. Pretty stoked, all the turns went right where I wanted 'em on this second run of the day without anything funky happening. I think things are gonna work out between the GPO and I in the pow touring department. Able to switch between a nice variety of slarvey turn shapes, carve with confidence on the runouts, and also drift them sideways when needed in pow or on the sketch trail egress without them hanging up.

Tracks on the left.

Nice one! Looks like a perfect day for a test rip

Awesome. That's a fun looking area, Tone.
    Glad you're enjoying them so far. I knew you would!

Ahh! Praxis custom sale with $1 down payment is killing me.

Pull the trigger or consider other options?

Considering:
    182 GPO with 3 Flex (med) and Enduro Carbon (formerly MAP carbon), mounted Marker Lord SPs (maybe -0.5/-1?)

Desired Use:
    * 96% inbounds, 3% chance I ever mount touring bindings, 1% fantasizing about heli rides
    * Cascade/Sierra snow with occasional trips to Salt Lake
    * To be used when conditions are any kind of soft (including deep inbounds days at Bachelor), including so hot that the corn will turn to slush by mid-afternoon.

Skier:
    5'8", 135 lbs naked, opposite of ski racer (no formal training), primarily a snowboarder, likes steep skiing but definitely guilty of backseat driving on semi-frequent basis. Smear more than slice my turns on steeps, not a charger, but not afraid of speed.

I want a new resort ski so that I don't have to ride my 180 BCs w/ Dynafit Speeds (mounted on the line) inbounds anymore. This is my go-to setup and I have zero complaints in backcountry snow conditions out west, nor any complaints in perfect consistent resort snow conditions. My complaint is obviously focused on wind-funked, packed, chopped, scraped clean, crudded, moguled chairlift conditions; when inbounds I most wish my BC's could be a touch stiffer in tip and tail, a bit wider underfoot, and a bit heavier underfoot (mainly to have some more binding weight with more dampening and better able to drive with angulation without pre-release concerns).

Maybe BC +10mm in flex 3 is actually what I want, but the more gentle tip rise of the GPO seems appealing to me for reasons unknown, and I've got to believe the flex profile of the GPO is stiffer in tip and tail than BC ... I've also considered 183 MVPs but figured that the GPO may have closer style of geometry to my BCs, even if the MVPs may handle backseat driving more kindly. Figured Quixote has more effective edge than I need for my style. Too much of a Praxis loyalist to consider other brands.

I have a "skinny ski," which are 178 Nordica Enforcers (98 waisted version), that I find somewhat fun, kicks my ass when I get backseat (maybe good training for the GPO), not the most playful, but handles firm, groomed or packed snow predictably enough for my needs, I don't think my weight or skills can find the speed limit, and my #1 complaint is this setup is a touch too heavy w/ Baron bindings ... will probably pull those off and go Lord SPs with inserts to swap those bindings between my skinny and fat resort skis.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

182 GPO flex 3 seems like a good fit. I'd go enduro-veneer instead of enduro carbon for resort crud. In a powder specific ski enduro carbon is a good choice

Thanks!

Interesting comment about veneer and crud. Maybe crud is the wrong word, since I have stiff skis for firm and shallow days.

I'm talking about conditions where snow is packed or scraped clean to the old crust in spots, but still soft and blown-in in most places. I figured carbon for pop over veneer for dampness. I'll see what Keith says!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    182 GPO flex 3 seems like a good fit. I'd go enduro-veneer instead of enduro carbon for resort crud. In a powder specific ski enduro carbon is a good choice
    IMO, dont get the carbon unless it's a BC-only ski. And definitely not if its 96% inbounds. I've had 3 pairs of carbon Praxis (BCs but not the UL core, Protest, MVPs) and one pair of MAP/glass (BCs). The feel was excellent in virgin snow of many types, but resort chop is its enemy. I also suck at skiing, so take that into consideration.

Actually, I'd just go with a stock GPO (I know I know - what's the fun with that??). I mean, it's pretty darn dialed as is. And its still light enough to tour!

^ sweet! Your comments back up muggy's ... go with damp for inbounds, not pop.

I don't think I'd go full stock - I'd modify stiffness at minimum due to my ridiculous light weight, hence 3 flex over stock of 4 flex.

Wood veneer would add dampness, and also keep the weight closer to 8.5 lbs.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

My 182 GPO's in standard flex and ash top sheet worked really well at HV last Sunday. It got to be a little heavy at the bottom by the EOD. We got in 6 laps in the Palisades, and another in the Reserve for our last run. I also have the 180 BC, all standard, which I also like.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

I don't think I'd go full stock - I'd modify stiffness at minimum due to my ridiculous light weight, hence 3 flex over stock of 4 flex.

There's time to change my mind, but my current Quixote order is Enduro/Carbon/Veneer. My MAP/Carbon GPOs are just the slightest bit "nervous" in chopped pow, when compared with my Billy Goats. I really can't speak to how much of this is the "magic" of the RES tips vs. the BGs' damper, heavier core. The BGs are almost 1.4 pounds heavier than my GPOs. That has to count for something.

So, Carbon for me boils down to whether I want to wiggle through tight trees a bit more easily while experiencing a slight bit more nervous behavior in chop/crud. Unfortunately, I haven't experienced two identical Praxis skis, with the exception of one having carbon and the other one not having any.

It's a good thing Keith isn't starting to build for 2-3 more weeks, so I can wrestle over this choice over whether to remove the carbon.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-13-2017 at 09:21 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

I have a pair of Piste Jib's with carbon, veneer and the heavy core. It is by far my favorite layup that they offer. It's damp enough to Mach through crud but it also has some great pop to it. I think an Enduro core with carbon and veneer would make for a nice ski (I like poppy skis).

I've also own(ed) a stock layup GPO (Enduro no carbon) and Enduro + carbon Protest. If I order another Praxis ski it'll have veneer+carbon core.
    Last edited by Kopi_Red; 04-13-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Just to mess up everyone...I have the MAP C core in a concept and I love it on the resort. Keith actually guided me to this build and it seems to work fine for me...yes they are snappy but not in a negative way for me.