Page 14 of 78 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Anyone want to get some turns in around PG either tomorrow and/or Sunday?

Could be a possibility... probably not tomorrow but maybe Sunday. Sounds like some snow fell up high.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

I'd probably be interested in Sunday Dan. Expert skier, pretty new to touring, finished an ast 1 a couple weeks ago in Smithers though.

Was at sugarbowl last Sat coverage was pretty poor down low, we turned around and found some snow at purden

Had the same experience last Thursday at Sugarbowl

Will report back on what PK is like tomorrow. As for Sunday waiting to see where the snow falls

It did rain to the top... pretty much everywhere.
    Lower elevations will be shit, and depending on the wind stuff up high may be boiler plate. best case is 10-20cms on a unbreakable crust in the narrow band of sub alpine terrain that is treed enough break the wind and open enough not to be tree bombed to shit.

On a plus the mixed precip and ice on alders and willow should help pin that shit down in the open gullies.

Good luck at PK.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Achieved full recovery from the Terrace October fest to get in a couple of days out at Hankin and Elliot was pretty good today
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You were pretty much bang on Moose Pit. Felt more like the East coast than Northern BC. Except for the Alders and Willows were still everywhere hah

XXXer glad to hear Hankin is ski-able, I may get out there over the holidays with my sister.

I'm thinking the Mcgregors will ski well on Sunday

Elliot just happened to be ok but really the Hankin needs more snow we were just out there on a scouting mission

11 cm today the ski hill is actualy pretty good
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-19-2014 at 09:22 AM.

that 11cms at the hill was pretty good! I spent the last 3 days skiing with a cinematographer who is gona make a movie about Hankin and the local scene ... buddy figures there is a story to tell

Well tomorrow may suck but I want to go skiing somewhere... Sandy maybe? Road is plowed to 2-4km from trailhead would be easy to tow in with a sled. I hear access is ok with pretty good snow up top

Some more great Shames press!
    Enroute (Air Canada's inflight mag):

http://enroute.aircanada.com/en/maga...-beaten-tracks
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Shames skied seasonably normal today. 4 skinny ski (98mm waist) faceshots in kneecap to lower thigh deep snow. Right side up snow in the morning, deteriorating to manky wedge of doom at lower elevations coastal powtatoes in the afternoon. Twas a bit tricky in spots where the bulletproof crust was bounced off of 60cms down in spots...was kinda variable, some soft, some hard base....but, felt really really really really good to finally slay some DEEP pow....only the second day of it so far this year. Forgetting the rules of skiing deep pow I've become dehabituated from bringing goggles on touring days...prit near a fatal error today. Run # 3 down no socks was a white blurr with mandatory emergency crash after half a dozen accelerating "no clue where the fuck I am" turns in the white room...lesson learned. Bring fan goggles, mandatory. Fat skis? not so mandatory, totally stoked on the float and solid responsive feel of the Armada Declivities; even in the sludge and pudge, the tips were submerged but totally workable and not weird sidecut twichy or soft tip deflecty...quite nice. (do i get jonged for not tech talking this reply?)

Ya it was damn foggy here today kinda reminded me of Big White

http://paranormalskis.ca/

demo ed some Para Normal "Weapons" nice ski & very well finished

PK was a lot of fun today. About a foot on top of the crust. Still some hazards to be found but good times. Snowed most of today and snowing when we left.

Any beta from Hankin over the next few days would be great. I am hoping to ski there either 25th or 26th

last wednesday 8a looked lumpy but covered from above so ski it, when you look back up you can see all the exposed lumber that was dropped & left by the 3 man falling crew, duno if I would have dropped it if I had seen it from the bottom 1st, there might be 8-10cms tonight but it really ... it needs 50

OTOH the Hill is pretty good and its open for xmas I believe

Thanks XXX-er. Sounds like it could be a bit like PK, where the lack of snow can make it more fun! As long as you don't punch through to what's underneath.

I really want to check the place out and don't get out that way often so if anyone wants to join I'll likely be there on the 26th.

AFAIK the hill is open xmas 12-4 and I intend on being there

I'm coming to peeg tomorrow and going into red mountain on new years

new snow today

Skied troll yesterday. Skied pretty good didn't notice any crust although the liftie said they had some freezing rain last week.

Looks nice and white in smithers this morning

ya HBM was good and the snow pack is building up nicely !

BTW the place for skiers to consider staying when they come to Smithers is the Storks nest Inn, its owned by my buddies who are the skiers who put many thousands of voly hrs into the Hankin area ... just because

The Stork's Nest Inn is hereby seconded as the place to stay for skiers in Smithers. Killer last few days at HBM. Deep!

Thirded on the Storks Nest. Aspen River house is also strong.

Avoid Alpenhorn food

Also heard a rumour (more than a rumour actually) that a Shames / HBM combo pass is in the work.

I'll be at the hill tomorrow, hope its still deep! Hankin on the 26th.

Already have a place to stay but thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Thirded on the Storks Nest.
    Nice place, complimentary breakfast, good rates, skiers and all manner of adventurers all over the place etc. but what were really talking about with all the Stork"s Nest love is Brian and Kim. What these two have done for our community and especially the ski community is beyond measure.

I for one believe in the idea of everyday heroes. They are the folks who quietly make a difference in our lives. They are the folks who make the world a better place with no regard whatsoever for personal gain. Brian and Kim are 2 such folks.

A couple years ago, Brian had a fairly serious operation. It was dicey for a while. During his convalescence, some locals went up and put a sign on the warming hut at Hankin. The Brian Hall Hut. I quite liked the name given Brian's mind boggling efforts to create the place. As soon as he was able, Brian removed the sign and insisted new name be stricken from the local lexicon.

A finer human being you are unlikely to meet.