Page 24 of 78 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    The Vancouver Island numbers jump out as well. The northern numbers are generally pretty good. Lot's of touring awaits us, although I too am sad that the lifts have stopped turning.

The bluff is riding amazing right now. Nothing better than a new bike and a seamless transition between the seasons. Although another couple tour days may still be in order.

I think one can ski tour the hill/sidecountry, bike the bluff or surf Tatlow falls right now

did you sell your old bike counselor ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yep - I found a very good home for her.

What up at Shames. Can I go touring there this weekend?

Shames is...well was "on"

This is what's up at Shames. Today. 40+cms new right side up below treeline. Extensive wind affect in alpine soft slab/windslab...was dry at treeline/btl in a.m. a few episodes of solar and it turned to dogshit by afternoon. Temps are just hovering around freezing at treeline so any burst of sun and "it's like turning on the microwave and watching butter melt" as a good buddy described it today.

p.s. how do i make my photos appear bigger here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-04-14-18h26m22s57.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	925.4 KB 
ID:	166212  

On again, off again, on again....another 20-25cms overnight with cooler temps; if we don't get any bursts of intense solar like yesterday...i bet today is gonna be epic at Shames. Yesterday's snow should have settled nicely to provide that perfect spongy soft right side up transition to the puking white and light overnight.... Gopro footage will tell the tale apres skiing today....

Wasn't late to the party today at Shames.

Up to 30cms overnight at Shames added to the probably 50-60cms of storm snow made for some of the best feeling pow turns of the season...charging full speed fall line in the trees, no less! Right side up and oh so smooooooth. Cadillac float. Got pretty heavy for the bottom 1/3 but by then there was so much stoke and speed to smash the powtatoes that it didn't matter. The savior today was no sun in the afternoon. NW aspect trees were preserved. Front side got baked by direct morning sun so the end of day ski out was a bit of a quad cooker. Expect snow to settle very quickly with warm temps, ski pen to decrease and without continuous snowfall to refresh, quality may diminish daily...in the trees. Not much in the way of alpine obs due to flat light...some avy activity; size 2 slab in HN with good propagation on solar slope in a.m. Size 1 windslab below cornice in alpine steep east aspect. point releases and a few pinwheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-04-15-17h41m48s39.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	912.8 KB 
ID:	166235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-04-15-17h45m19s229.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	906.2 KB 
ID:	166236  

Anyone been up to Hankin lately? I am thinking that it looks warm and toasty on Sunday so I might go up for a last rip before I put the skis away for the summer and start biking.

A foot of pow this AM which turned to shmoo by late afternoon, LOTS of wind and lots of naturals up in the alpine, I skied a small sluff on hut 2 which wasn't dangerous but wasn't that much fun either, the road is mostly clear with some mud & potholes

we also put spring loaded hinges on the hut & shitter for those assholes who actualy were born in a barn

still good coverage from the p-lot & on up

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    p.s. how do i make my photos appear bigger here?
    pm ryan dunfee, or hit up the ask tgr forum. It's wacky how in 2015 they couldn't make this whole process easier. Shit dude, you're my audio/visual tech guru -and it aint easy for you.....?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Thanks Al.

Anything else need doing while we are there?

Don't think so

the ski hill was good today , big turns on Chapmans and 1st tracks on Coldsmoke

There will be many fuzz y heads apres the Shred Kelly gig tonight so PU truck shuttles on chair side should be the order of the day

Beauty turns in the 0-Zone this weekend. As well I've spent the last few weeks exploring the cliff zone just outside the north eastern boundary of the ski area and continued to do so this weekend. Like many locals, I knew of a couple lines down the face. All of my lines really require lots of snow however. There's little hip slides or hops onto a mini plateaus, as well as some seriously steep pitches that really make it a deep snow only type of place. Not to mention the lack of run outs etc. It is a challenging zone but a very, very cool spot as well. I always figured there had to be a few 'handrail' type routes that would be doable in any snow conditions. And perhaps such routes might lead to some cool terrain. Maybe even some hidden gems. Anyways I set out to explore and am still exploring the zone labelled 'cliff area' on the HBM trail map. It is indeed a cliff area but I really starting to see it as a very skiable cliff area. Not just a 2 or 3 times a year shot down a big line as it was to me before. I've found some very cool features. I can see myself skiing there a lot more next year. It's such huge patch of terrain that is taken out of immediate ski area. It would be nice to have it in the regular repertoire

Chair side gate is closed at HBM. Easy car laps are perhaps done for the year.

Stop your whining! Its getting really hard to get to snow near PG. I was even thinking of going to spend a day or two out your way to get my spring fix in.

there is still lots of skiing up at HBM but you gotta hike, and we are already planning the annual july sweeny trip ... skiing in < a 3hr drive

Shames snow up to treeline and probably beyond is presently prit near unskiable. All precip from the last few days of storm fell as rain and saturated the upper pack into a cohesionless mess of wet grains....topped with a nice breakable melting crust that someone blew their nose on and didn't wipe off the few cms of fresh wet snot. Probably need a full day of no precip melt freeze to drain the liquid water from the upper pack and allow some settlement and hopefully a supportive crust...until then, packed snow run laps only for these old knees.

did an apres noon PU shuttle down chapmans which was fucking awesome

followed up with lots of craft beer/ mescal/ indian food/ mescal/ beer

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    did an apres noon PU shuttle down chapmans which was fucking awesome
    Very nice turns indeed. It's staying cold and not 1 cm of snow has melted at tree line. Ski season shows no sign of ending anytime soon around these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Very nice turns indeed. It's staying cold and not 1 cm of snow has melted at tree line. Ski season shows no sign of ending anytime soon around these parts.
    Will be up with the hooligans on our side all day tomorrow

Stopped by and said hi to tacklebox and bagged some crazy good turns with xxx-er today. All in the span of a couple hours door to door. Gotta love life in Smithers!

The renter i have in my house in Smithers is on real thin ice. He goes away for three weeks at a time to drill and his place (my place) keeps getting broken into. Is he making enemies? Is it local kids fucking around? He tries to convince me to pay to get plywood board up on his place and then pay to get it removed when he gets back. I said no way jose!

The today he tells how he left the place for 45 minutes and then someone shows up and tried to burn it down! And keyed his new truck to shit. I say jilted girlfriend.

I am talking actual arson. So here is the catch, we never had him sign a real tenant agreement. So we are about to drop the eviction notice.

I am flying back to alaska on may 28 then promptly driving 30 hours south to say hi to you peeps. Looking for new, happy responsible renters in kickass ski town…

These are 7 years ago, have not been there in 5.

"A tenancy begins when someone agrees to pay rent to occupy a property or unit owned by a landlord."

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/topic.page...274E030254B3DD

I don't think it matters if you have an agreement or not but anyhow its all in there^^^ Jake, its a landlord's market in Smithers and rental units are hard to find from what I've heard

congrats on the new baby!
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-04-2015 at 01:32 PM.

^^ Yeah I read all the tenancy act stuff. Turns out it was not girlfriend but he had been tiger torching dead grass a few days ago and it smouldered and then burned…

He is leaving anyway, time to move on. I will be there in about a month to see what is up. Gonna bring skis and maybe make a run off top of Hudson bay. Still snow then?

I expect xxx to provide the green!