Page 22 of 78 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    stronger advertising, I heard any shop thats sell dynafit & DPS might have a poster up

also maybe a lack of snow elsewhere
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That Everest challenge sounds like a lot of fun and a great cause. Think I'll be making my first trip up to Northern BC. Hope to run into a few of you!

Flying up for my first trip to Terrace after work tomorrow. Never made it west of Smithers when I lived in PG. Hope it cools off a few degrees over the weekend. Will be fun no matter what tho.

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    That Everest challenge sounds like a lot of fun and a great cause. Think I'll be making my first trip up to Northern BC. Hope to run into a few of you!
    Glad to here your coming up. Should be a very good time.

Anyone want to try and stay above the rain tomorrow? Skiing with dogs in tow so cannot have much if any snowmobiling involved.

Working or I would. Have fun man

Northern BC 2013/2014 Stoke, Conditions

Any info on the avy on the hill today? I heard size 2 with injuries but that's all I know.

some sore ribs but nothing that morphine and tequila won't take care of

Where was it? The fire department was called - luckily no one was on fire and not really the entrapment our gear is set up for.

In Big Simpsons on the hour glass going up to the 5000, I think 911 just called RCMP/Fire dept/SAR everybody, but our favorite aviy instructor also got called somewhere out on the highway, buddy does a bit of an end run around the SAR process by calling Tom the pilot and some of the BC ski bro's ... everyone was out within 2 hrs from aviy

So Party last night with a bunch of skiers, an incident report will likely be published very soon, I imagine the morphine and tequila has worn off and someone has sore ribs this am
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-11-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Glad to hear he's ok.

Nice to know that there are people close by that you can call at a moments notice for a little assistance.

On a much happier note - Who is coming to watch Canada's best (and by obvious extension - THE WORLD'S BEST) - Ski Cross athletes next week (Tues/Wed/Thurs) rip up good old HBM for the Nationals?

In case you haven't heard - we have snow - nobody else does- so the National Championships have been moved to Smithers last minute ("last minute" also happens to be how we do our best work).

I spoke with Gary H, and Phil yesterday and volunteered. I understand they are still looking for folks. I am rearranging work to be available. Even if you can't volunteer - it would be great to get a crowd out and show some Northern hospitality and support.

Visited a friend in Kitimat the past few days and got up to Shames a couple times. Lost the freezing level lottery but still found some decent corn so all in all it was fun. Like most, was blown away at the amount and accessibility of backcountry off Shames, will be back up for sure when there is decent snow.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    On a much happier note - Who is coming to watch Canada's best (and by obvious extension - THE WORLD'S BEST) - Ski Cross athletes next week (Tues/Wed/Thurs) rip up good old HBM for the Nationals?

In case you haven't heard - we have snow - nobody else does- so the National Championships have been moved to Smithers last minute ("last minute" also happens to be how we do our best work).

I spoke with Gary H, and Phil yesterday and volunteered. I understand they are still looking for folks. I am rearranging work to be available. Even if you can't volunteer - it would be great to get a crowd out and show some Northern hospitality and support.
    We have the Everest Challenge on Saturday and Sunday. As soon as that ends, the best ski cross racers in the country show up. Things are going to be very busy at our little hill.

Word to the wise; get up there early for any and all events. Parking is going to be a complete gong show.

Spring skiing at the Farm yesterday. Ski-out was painful but otherwise a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    We have the Everest Challenge on Saturday and Sunday. Word to the wise; get up there early for any and all events. Parking is going to be a complete gong show.
    Billibong maintenance donated the $ to plow the road REALLY wide and there should be enough room for road parking

I was up today setting up base camp, lots of people volying and things look great

Just got back from the Everest Challenge Registration Party. Lots of folks from all over the place. Very cool vibe. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Well, here at Burnie the rain has turned to snow, so tomorrow will be awesome!

Have a great Everest Challenge day Smithereens (and visitors)!!! Awesome event folks, congrats to all!

See you guys closing weekend at Shames (Apr 4 weekend)??
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Can't make it Gary going into Burnie Hut on that weekend, but how come no body came from Ripped Bum
    to the http://extremeeverestchallenge.com/ how come no bodies came to represent? One very tall has-been Smithereen shows up and tells me they don't get it BUT I guess if you are not up to the challenge thats ok ...

http://www.liveitloveit.org/
    we still raised a lot of money for "Live it!Love it!" it was good to run into old friends from past events and I think the event was very well organized, the event definatley grew from 80 or so to 123 participants this year for the most successful event yet

7 soloists skied 27,600 ft of vert in 24 hrs so some hurting went on for sure, the king of the hill boot packed 2km and did one lap on a mono ski for major style points, this was the the 1st year 2 split boarders made it and a pair of identical twins 15 yr old xc bike racers on tele gear ripped 18 laps in stereo

Lots of swag, big shoutout to Dynafit & DPS for being big supporters & participants since day 1, these guys can do also do more than fill out an order book

my crew was "Team has-been" we were pretty much a shit show from the word go and we concentrated on partying as hard as we could, there was a 24hr DJ doing beats and a 4 am spoken word/music set form the book "Into the Void" by Joe Simpson, not everybody realized there was a keg back there in the DJ booth and we got that done by awards ceremony wrap up. For team Has-been a high lite would have to be hitting the lazer light dance floor on skis (do people dance on skis?) followed by the team lap at midnight followed by ski down piste while firing off roman candles...truly degenerate
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-16-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    For team Has-been a high lite would have to be hitting the lazer light dance floor on skis (do people dance on skis?) followed by the team lap at midnight followed by ski down piste while firing off roman candles...truly degenerate
    I'm over by the chair ummmmm... discussing world affairs ..... and I look over at the dance floor or rather patch of snow that passed as a dance floor, and there's xxx-er cutting some serious rug on his skis. It looked very, very cool. The skis, by their very nature, necessitate this robotic aesthetic that really worked well with the trance music and the lights.

Great event. Keeps growing. Whats really cool is that it is many different things all at once. For some, it is a serious physical test. At the other end of the spectrum, there are those for whom it is pure debauchery. For everyone however, it is an opportunity to raise funds for a great cause and honour our friends Rod and Jeff who had there love of the mountains taken away from them.

Cheer to all the out of towners who made the long journey up. I look forward to next years event.

A night of rest and morph right into a slip crew for the Canadian skicross championships

The weather is Beautiful with a little freezing at night to firm up the course, Smithers ski club got the event spur of the moment because the other hill didn't have snow, now the event is going off without a hitch in spite of only 6 days to make it happen ... cuz thats how we roll in Smithers

^^^I'm bringing 80 kids up tomorrow to check out the races and do some skiing. Looking forward to it. What would you recommend in terms of good viewing spots? The kids are gonna want to see big air and shit eatings.

take the T up from the lodge slide over left and watch the race, the course is pretty buffed so not too many racers have ate shit and there wasn't any carnage

Early bird passes at HBM for next year available as of March 21st. $669.00. Getting pricey. Not dissing the hill in any way. I know the people who run it and they make NO money off that place. Their goal for this year in fact, was to break even. We are lucky to have the place and I will be getting a pass for sure. Lot's of talk about how skiing is pricing the average Joe out of the sport however. Have they released early bird prices for Powder King and Shames? Curious how we stack up.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Can't make it Gary going into Burnie Hut on that weekend, but how come no body came from Ripped Bum
    to the http://extremeeverestchallenge.com/ how come no bodies came to represent? One very tall has-been Smithereen shows up and tells me they don't get it BUT I guess if you are not up to the challenge thats ok ...
    Well, you know Al buddy, I'd really like to see a bunch of terracites make it there too....
    but if you want to get a little nasty about it, let's talk about reciprocal numbers for a minute. So for at least 15 years (likely a lot more), about 30 rupertites and terracites have made the pilgramage to schnai day weekend. So that's 30x15x2(days) = 900 skier visits right there. Now you tell me when a group of smithers skiers has ever made a pilgrimage west. I mean more than just you and Lothar (and occasionally Keith/Heather and AP).

So buddy, before you start dissing terrace folk for non-appearance at your hill, start showing up at our hill dude.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!