Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: Pictures of Mountains, Snow, and People Skiing.

What's the point of this place again? Oh yeah, meet up with other mountain obsessed fools and go ski something. Thanks for makin the trip and hangin with us reckless jokers for a few days!

"The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

This thread is full of win. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

sweet!!!
    Beartooths?

never seen that method of ski hauling, creative!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Nice!

[QUOTE=tone capone;3926458]

Not seen that technique before. Pretty skis, what are they?

awesome tr. beautiful mountains

did you give him shit for skiing over your tracks??!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Awesome.

This shot got me all hot and bothered.

No kick turns
    No mercy

I guess that's the one shot that's not a tiny skier amidst a huge background. I gotta get better at that part but I get distracted by the surroundings.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    Awesome.

This shot got me all hot and bothered.

Me too, get off the brakes.

Awesome photos. Kinda missed the story/written aspect of it though....
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Schwing!
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Kinda missed the story/written aspect of it though....
    Goldenboy and MBSC drove halfway across the mountain west to meet up with me and my buddy Doug. I don't blame them if they were nervous about getting into the fray with two such notouriously reckless gapers. We stayed in a cheap hotel with paper thin walls, a toilet that barely flushed, and a sink that didn't drain. It was pretty cozy, kinda like being on tour in a B list rock band but without the drama.

We got hopelessly lost the first day and I learned (again) to always trust a womans intuition in the mountains.

I learned I need flat tails and ski crampons if I'm ever gonna keep up with Goldenboy. I thought I loved my twin tips and rockered tails till I stared death in the face on the skintrack.

I also learned at same very inopportune moment (2 feet from a 500' cliff on a steep kick turn) that Dynafit Radicals can auto-rotate the "other way" a quarter turn back into ski mode.

We ate lots of gut bomb bar food and greasy breakfasts but drank only moderately out of respect for our gracious guests.

There were many delightful slednecks and ski bum refugees to provide logistical support and entertainment along the way for a very small fee.

Getting towed double behind a sled can get dangerous and desperate if you are a gaper. Just let go if it gets ugly.

I got shut down coldly by one of the few things resembling a human female in that town full of fabulous kooks and degenerates. My kind of people, but you'd think they'd appreciate a shot of Italian vigor to that meager gene pool.

One flamboyant two stroker was very vocal about starting a titty bar there, I think they could definetly use one. Hint hint.

Flatlander slednecks hail from places where meat and grain is plentiful. They are generally of large muscular build and enjoy cursing and screaming loudly after the bars close. It's best we skinny body skier weenies just let them carry on and catch up on sleep another night.

My knees survived three facet forest egresses, barely. Always remember to unlock dynafits after the no fall zone.

MBSC and Goldenboy ski with better form than I, despite their packs being a third their own weight. It's all cause they train at a higher altitude though.

It sure is nice to ski with people who come prepared for more than smoke breaks!

Goldenboy may be short but he sets a mean bootpack, just let him have at it.

Maybe if I towed my skis behind me like Goldenboy during such endeavors, my lower back wouldn't feel like a horse kicked the shit out of it all the time.

An ice axe point doesn not make a good glass piece cleaner.

Hopefully those guys don't post any of those pics of me skiing a mile in the backset with my arms flapping like wings,.
    Last edited by tone capone; 03-02-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Absarokee sweet!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

It was a blast skiing with these boys for a few days. Can't wait to get back there, though not looking forward to the drive again. Tone Capone, you forgot about the local who wanted to take us ice climbing and who lent us his sled for the small price of a fill-up and one of the most delicious cinnamon rolls I've ever eaten. ( Who knew a town of 50 people could rock one of the best-tasting breakfast joints I've ever eaten at before!?! ) All the same, one of the best ski trips I've ever had. Even with the toilet that made your stomach drop every time you flushet it....

Oh, and Tone Capone, next time, catch that burrito. Maybe she won't turn you down. At least not so harshly
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Nice work Tone! i wonder if anyone rides the lookers left side of the Fin?

Fye-ack, that was awesome

fully loaded with win! thanks for bringing it back!

Good town with some of the best skiing around!

Awesome pics! Looks like a fine way to spend a few days .

That looked like a fantastic trip! I too loved the super steep coulior shot. Nice conditions too!! Thanks!

goldenboy and MBSC are great people and I enjoyed touring with them.
    I highly reccomend having a bed for them as it will be worth your while getting schooled !!!
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Indeed Shadam.

i wonder if anyone rides the lookers left side of the Fin?
    Goldenboy had a nice little flat light adventure over there at like 4:00 pm after the rest of us were humbled by the upper portions of the skintrack. He almost got caught in a slide but luckily the force is strong with that one.

...And Brit, I guess I do owe ol' Travis a little more of a tribute. That guy is clearly the king of all Savages. His karma must be what keeps him rollin strong without a partner or an acl all these years. If I were manly enough to live up there for a season, I would totally hook up with that dude for at least a season long bromance, maybe even propose a lifetime partnership bromance. He was such a sweetheart, at least compared to the ladies in that town. A real catch in my book.
    Last edited by tone capone; 03-02-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    wooooohoooo!

oh, and I appreciate the additional narrative! sounds fun
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

sounds like my kind of trip...if i was not such a stay put dirt bag!! love the ghetto ski drag!!!!

Narrative's as entertaining as the pics... Props!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post

never seen that method of ski hauling, creative!
    My buddy Jon was on the Red Bull Mt St Elias movie a few years back and they used it there (I think it was the late Peter Ressman that came up with it)- he liked it and showed it to me and I like it in certain circumstances- certainly for going straight up a couloir it can be nice. You'll occasionally see it in the threads up in BC, since Jon has made a few converts up there. It's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleThor View Post
    Me too, get off the brakes.
    Haha, sorry. Top 50' or so was a bit more variable than it looks from spindrift, old tracks, and the platform which a previous party and ourselves built. I straightened it out a couple of turns later

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    Pretty skis, what are they?
    Just some cheap Elan PogoStix from a couple of years ago with the stupid twintips cut off. I should thank Single for helping me decide that yes, I should just cut the damn things off. So much better for skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    goldenboy and MBSC are great people and I enjoyed touring with them.
    I highly reccomend having a bed for them as it will be worth your while getting schooled !!!
    We had a great time skiing with you guys as well!

Continuing on Tone's "I learned that..." riff-
    I learned that it's hard to get many good pictures of Tone due to his general disdain for turning.

I learned that ranch dressing is the most overused condiment in America and should be removed from restaurant menus with extreme prejudice. Even jokingly asking for ranch will conjure images of a much bigger and scarier Seinfeld Soup Nazi.

I learned that even if I'm the only one with bgt ascent plates I should just use them instead of waist deep postholing sessions.

Maybe I'll think of some more later.
    Last edited by goldenboy; 03-03-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Awesome stoke

Yowsa! Sweet photos and blog.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!