Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ..., so what is it about ... the short answer is making a positive happening out of a bad happening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTVHQ...t=HL1362004425

Buddy ate it big at the WBP ^^^ was never sposed to walk again but with a lot of rehab at GF Strong and some big energy Rod earned back his drivers license and is now skiing green run with his outrigger crutches, this sunday the plan is to try loading the chair and ski a green

I was the chair-n-poll sherpa/poser ^^in the formal black acrteryx
    Very cool. Question though - any particular reason the tethers are attached to his boots? when we (OR Adaptive Sports) do it, the tether is attached at the waist to a climbing harness.

Regardless, good on you guys for helping Rod get out again. And you are a stylin' Sherpa.

we aren't really an adaptive skiing program we are just his buds, yeah we were talking about that the other day, he has never really got a runaway and rod thot a climbing harness might be better, I think that vid was last year, he is stronger this season and has been riding his recumbant 3 wheel bike so he is stronger and should go much further in the extreme challenge

There was a write up in explore of last years event so it got alot of press and I think there will be some serious athletes this year I know an ultra marathoner coming to see what he can do in 24hrs

last year I said "never again!" but I just put my $ down and entered the solo class ...again
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Dave from Valhalla told me that someone from Connecticut called and signed up for the event today.

a balmy -24 at the hill the crew went skinning with Rod which was fucking cold because you couldn't go hard to get warm and stood around lots in touring boots but he got twice as far as last year and hopes to complete 1 lap next saturday ...amazing

Good to hear... I will continue to enjoy this event in spirit.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

a balmy -24 at the hill the crew went skinning with Rod which was fucking cold because you couldn't go hard to get warm and stood around lots in touring boots but he got twice as far as last year and hopes to complete 1 lap next saturday ...amazing
    Twice as far!?! You mean he got up the steep pitch on Ptarmigan. Incredible.

lots of new systems being tested , new dynafit boots the ONES & radicals, a new pole system , electric gloves, a waist belt/tether and it all worked out in some extremely fucking cold weatehr

yeah he made it up the steep part with not too much problem, the tough part was getting down cuz its steeper than any thing he had ever skied

so next saturday he will be skinning into the night to knock off one lap

lots of new systems being tested , new dynafit boots the ONES & radicals, a new pole system , electric gloves, a waist belt/tether and it all worked out in some extremely fucking cold weatehr

yeah he made it up the steep part with not too much problem, the tough part was getting down cuz its steeper than any thing he had ever skied

so next saturday he will be skinning into the night to knock off one lap
    Good on you for helping him out. The man is simply incredible. Does he have an adequate support crew in place for the event itself?

I think Rod will be canvassing for a large support crew which will of course materialize, what is needed is a crew of peeps to sub in and out cuz you follow him up very slow so don't move enough to make heat and you get fucking cold

there are many able bodied people who can't do one lap let alone a quadrapalegic

AND just to make it all way more fun Dave Harris told me "the radder than you" Telkwa ski club has challenged one another to a race, alfred, greg, roach ...should make for a very fun night eh!

And I heard that J decided to go solo.

8 solo entries. Saw some of the schwag today. High rent stuff. Extreme Everest Challenge hats available for $20. They are really nice, trucker style hats. All proceeds go to benefit adaptive sports for those with spinal injuries. Word on the street is that Rod is going to go up the normal route during daylight and down Twinkle Toes (a long circuitous green run) in the dark. Haring about all sorts of folks who are just going to go up for the party and do a lap or two for kicks. Serious buzz in the air. 4 days to go.

Have an amazing event smithereens! Skiing with Lucas here in the Burnie and he's stoked.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Have an amazing event smithereens! Skiing with Lucas here in the Burnie and he's stoked.
    There's internet at Burnie? I heard Lucas had signed up. Good on him. Tell him it's gonna be a blast.

A week of guiding that crew is not really how you want to taper for a 24 hr event ... go easy on the poor lad !

yup satellite wifi

^^
    haha, too late. Yeah touring with the calgarians ain't an easy gimme week.

Heli out cancelled today, hopefully lucas makes it in time for tomorrow. Have a good on XXX-er & AP!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

I believe there has never been a missed pickup in > 10yrs so it must be snowing very hard ... i suggest you go skiing

^^

Heli out cancelled today, hopefully lucas makes it in time for tomorrow. Have a good on XXX-er & AP!
    Thanks for the positive energy Gary. If it looks like you guys are not going to get out today, let Lucas know that if he needs anything in town, i can go grab it for him. Just PM me a list.

^^
    Christoph sez he has no other guests who ski or drink as hard as your crew ... good job your self buddy

High praise indeed

Bonus day - lower solitaire 1st lap; then Tom George. Feckin great w/30cms of blower!
    AP - will let Lucas know. Thanks!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Al I'm going to have to rethink that laziest Azn comment. Coming up north in two weeks. maybe just terrace/Stewart tho

well you were right of course Lee BUT given good genes a fat lazy AZN can lose weight, be inspired, train and develop an A game

The disabled are not so lucky so we are honoring their efforts & struggles by pushing our limits just cuz we can and the money raised goes to the Love it! Live it! foundation

If you come to Smithers we should ski ...I'm in better shape this time

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=506189396158010

I the suck at embed but anyway Jeff the ultra marathoner ^^ kept up this pace for 12hrs to knock off his 18 runs (27630 ft), here he is passing my buddy Rod with the spinal injury who completed his goal of one lap

Huge success, great party and we raised >4500$ for the Live it!Love it! foundation to provide Adaptive Adventure and provide outdoor recreation opportunities for the disabled.

my feet hurt

Rod was elevated to deity status. More on Jeff http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/s...ecord-1.894722

^^^ Jeff's closing words in the above article are powerful and reflect the truly epic nature of Rod's accomplishment.

CICK, the local community radio station, played the whole event. Through the night as well. Very good tunage. At 4 AM, one of the D.J.'s, Matt Simmons, did a reading of Edmund Hillary's High Adventure. Trippy background music and all. I came into the brightly lit infrastructure of the starting area to find it totally void of people. Some revellers around the fire area, but no one at the actual start line. Rare even in the middle of the night that there wasn't at least some folks milling around. I was feeling very nauseous by this point. Put my skins back on, grabbed a drink, snack etc. Tryin' to keep the transitions to a minimum so I didn't want to stick around too long. Clicked in. Matt's voice and the accompanying breakbeat anaesthetized me and for a moment I sat on a nearby picnic table. I listened in as Hilary described falling into a crevasse. Norquay bails him out and Hillary uses this anecdote as an opportunity to provide something of an assessment of his climbing partner. Hillary points out strengths and weaknesses but most of all he says, he liked Tenzing because he had no problem going long and hard. Hillary dug on Tenzing because he was a bad dude in the mountains. On that note I got up and began a slow, methodical and highly self-medicated march into the darkness. I referenced Hillary's words in the hours to come. Nothing 'bad' about the dizzy and head ache filled final laps, but I managed to finish the requisite 18 laps. So much cool and trippy s*#t went down over the 24 hours. More to come.