Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Say, did anybody catch this on PBS last night

The sky is falling

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/clima...nge_02-27.html

But this really killed me:

CHRIS DAVENPORT: You don't know if you're going to have good snow. You don't know if it's going to come early or late, or if the spring is going to become warm, and the season is going to end prematurely. We just don't have that dependability anymore.

Jezuz, stick a microphone into the face of a "professional skier", and they just say the dumbest shit. I mean, when the fuck in his short life has he had "dependable snow"?
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 02-28-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I mean, when the fuck in his short life has he had "dependable snow"?

How old are you?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Older than you.

I saw it. Interesting...
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

so this is a climate change deniers thread???

thought davenport was very well spoken. i thought it was a good report and more reports like that are needed to help a dense american public see the light.....

For real though, climate change makes planning environmentally friendly heli-ski trips so much harder now...

I mean, when the fuck in his short life has he had "dependable snow"?
    how old do you think Dav is? He's 42 and has been skiing big mountain lines for over 20 years.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Benny Profane is fucking ancient. His SSN starts with a zero. He's so old he remembers when iceman didn't wear Depends under his jeans.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

42. I wish. Yeah, he's seen it all, I'm sure.

Get off of my damn lawn.

We're one solid asteroid hit or volcanic eruption away from reversing the trend. Tectonic shift for more elevation cannot be ruled out.
    Silent....but shredly.

Not once in this report did they talk about the great snow in 10-11. Not once.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    how old do you think Dav is? He's 42 and has been skiing big mountain lines for over 20 years.
    You were trying to make Benny's point, right? I mean, this shit's not granular enough but:
    http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMONtsnf.pl?co0372
    doesn't really look like some mythic past, but perhaps like LA in the 80s before they builtup the inland empire when it really was sunny but temperate everyday there is some mythic past and it's not just people reminiscing about some yesteryears that never actually existed

resort towners bitching about climate change is like financial fair play in soccer, just trying to cement the order

It's pretty easy to see the impact of higher temperatures on when it starts to snow and when the snow melts, it's a lot harder to predict the effect on the amount of precipitation, which will probably vary from place to place and year to year.

could well mean more (but wetter) snow at higher elevation or more northern, continental resorts but a lot more rain and less snow in places like the west coast resorts where the snow level is already close to resort base. But the much bigger problem in California particularly will be the loss of snow stored in the mountains running off in the summer and fall. If it rains instead of snows there's not nearly the reservoir capacity to store it for the summer. I guess we'll all move to Montana.
    But nothing new in the broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    doesn't really look like some mythic past,
    If you want to see real evidence of southwestern Colorado's "mythic past" you can go to Mesa Verde. Plenty of dramatic evidence that THE PLACE IS IN A FUCKING DESERT and the Anasazi culture of Mesa Verde abandoned the region due to its extremely prolonged droughts. Or look at the ample evidence supplied by the study of regional tree's growth rings. Again, the science confirms that part of the continent can experience dry weather for decades at a stretch. In recent times, the legendary drought of the Dust Bowl extended into southern Colorado. During drought cycles, there have been periods where the Colorado River flowed at 25% of the volume we've become accustomed to as the ski industry developed the region's recreational towns. So basically, complaining about dry times on the west slope of Colorado is like complaining about getting sand up your ass at the beach.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 02-28-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    If you want to see real evidence of southwestern Colorado's "mythic past" you can go to Mesa Verde. Plenty of dramatic evidence that THE PLACE IS IN A FUCKING DESERT and the Anasazi culture of Mesa Verde abandoned the region due to its extremely prolonged droughts. Or look at the ample evidence supplied by the study of regional's trees growth rings. Again, the science confirms that part of the continent can experience dry weather for decades at a stretch. There have been periods where the Colorado River flowed at 25% of the volume we've become accustomed to as we developed the region's recreational towns. Complaining about dry times on the west slope of Colorado is like complaining about getting sand up your ass at the beach.
    The descendants of the Anasazi are now some of the fattest people in the world, because their bodies evolved to only require about 12-1400 calories a day, because they did said evolving in said fucking desert, and then, bam, all they needed was a few Happy Meals to become so huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    You were trying to make Benny's point, right? I mean, this shit's not granular enough but:
    http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMONtsnf.pl?co0372
    doesn't really look like some mythic past, but perhaps like LA in the 80s before they builtup the inland empire when it really was sunny but temperate everyday there is some mythic past and it's not just people reminiscing about some yesteryears that never actually existed

resort towners bitching about climate change is like financial fair play in soccer, just trying to cement the order
    Funny you mention that. I was a kid in the 60's and 70's! I used to visit The relatives in the (Inland Empire) San Dimas/ There was sooo much smog back then your eyes would BURN. You could not even see the cars on roads from up in the Foothills.

There are probably x3 the Cars and traffic now but its much much better.

As far as rain / snow / weather in General. In my life time it has not changed. Howver climatologists were teching way back in the 70's that the Sierra would become warmer and more Rainforestish over the next few hundred years. Basing that on the general trend of the wet and warm progressivly moving south over the past 100,000 years.
    Last edited by MTT; 02-28-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

The descendants of the Anasazi are now some of the fattest people in the world
    the descendants of the Anasazi live in Mississippi?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Why is there some pre conceived notion that climate should remain static? It hasn’t for millions of years.

Most of the Intermountain West is semi arid. Fluctuations in snowfall are going to happen. It’s what you trade for 300 days of sunshine and champagne powder. Has it been a raw deal for 2 years? Yeah, but it’s happened before, and it will happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Benny Profane is fucking ancient. His SSN starts with a zero

mine really does start with 0, and i really am old, but i forgot my point

i got mildly irritated today when it was in the high 30s and this lady left her car running to go in to get a coffee, i only hope it was because it wouldnt start if she turned it off.

No wonder Benny is a miserable cunt. He's super old and therefor extremely tired of sucking for so long.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Jesus Christballs.

Yeah snow's never been "dependable," but now in many places it's dependably shit. Yes you get a big dump or a good season now and then. But that will not be enough to sustain an "industry," or even some degree of recreational activity that keeps a few people employed, in many parts of the country that used to have undependable but adequate-on-average snow.

20 years from now you'll still be able to ski in the PNW, sure, and California, and parts of Colorado, and even northern Vermont I imagine. But places where the sport or business is marginal now are screwed in the long term.

I got into skiing through xc skiing because some hippy dudes started renting XC skis in the city park in Pittsburgh when I was a kid. Nobody would do that there now. Not because XC skiing is less of a fad than it was back in the Stone Age, but because the snow cover just doesn't last long enough there to make it viable. You can still get in several days a year if you have your own skis. Of course that means kids/families are unlikely to take up the sport.

Right or wrong, at least the people who try to reduce carbon outputs are in better shape and healthier because they commute on their bikes. More money in their pockets. They eat healthier foods because they choose local fresh produce.

The descendants of the Anasazi are now some of the fattest people in the world, because their bodies evolved to only require about 12-1400 calories a day, because they did said evolving in said fucking desert, and then, bam, all they needed was a few Happy Meals to become so huge.
    I thought it wasnt really known who their descendents were and that they sorta just disappeared?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

That article seems to be full of talking heads who will say whatever sounds good.

We are just finishing now bringing our third one-megawatt generator online, so we have three one-megawatt generators that are being powered by this methane that was just being vented in the atmosphere. So, destroy carbon, make money.
    Destroy carbon? How the hell do you do that?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

anyone who denies human caused climate change is a fucking idiot and needs to learn some basic scientific concepts. that is all.