Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    You dopes need to stop taking everything so fucking seriously and loosen the fuck up.
    the irony here is pretty funny, thanks for the chuckle!
    [but he's right...]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I can't believe some of you losers. "Oh no, he is affiliated with the mormon church and they don't like teh gays." What does it matter if he was Xstian? Or Muslim? Or Buddhist? Get the fuck over yourselves and see it for what it is. A group of people having a good time, documenting it with high quality and showing the world via youtube. Never once did I see "come to us, we are mormon, we are better." Fuck, anything to get your panties wadded, anything for the OUTRAGE!

You dopes need to stop taking everything so fucking seriously and loosen the fuck up.
    TGR white knight... checked in

I don't think anyone is taking themselves as seriously as you are in this thread.. heed your own advice and loosen the fuck up, yo

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    To be fair, the regular LDS is strongly against the FLDS church, and the marriage of underage girls... They straddle a weird line with polygamy, as it is in their history, but US government put a lot of pressure on them to abolish the practice and they caved. Today, you will be excommunicated from the LDS church for practicing polygamy. If you ask a Mormon, they will tell you that polygamy was necessary when they practiced it because of the struggles present at the time, there were more women than men, and women were without the protection of a man in a time when that was needed. Today it is not necessary, but the time for it may come again. I think its a line of crap, and had the government not pressured them, they would still be practicing, but that is just my opinion. In the time that the mainstream LDS church practiced polygamy, marrying young girls was not the same as it is today as everyone was married at a younger age.

One could argue that outlawing polygamy is a no different than outlawing gay marriage, as who am I, you, the government or anyone else to tell someone who they can love, marry, partner with, etc and under what conditions??

Almost all mainstream Christian religions oppose gay marriage and Christians and their churches of most denominations support its continued ban, some more vocally and financially than others.

If you are going to hold the LDS accountable, just be sure that it isn't just because Mormon isn't cool..
    But also to be fair, LDS encourages / requires a "traditional gender role" for women, has a long history of disallowing blacks, spends a shitload of money campaigning against gay marriage, and is extremely proactive in spreading their bullshit in developing countries.

The Mormons have pretty clearly developed a reputation for themselves due to the incessant hawking of their ridiculous beliefs. Most other religions don't have that stigma; if some Protestants made a series of web videos about them having fun, it's fairly unlikely that I would associate those videos with their religion (even though I think their brand of flying spaghetti monster is also ridiculous).

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Meanwhile in Russia . . .
    Russian Orthodox.

That's a no-brainer.

To be fair, the regular LDS is strongly against the FLDS church, and the marriage of underage girls... They straddle a weird line with polygamy, as it is in their history, but US government put a lot of pressure on them to abolish the practice and they caved. Today, you will be excommunicated from the LDS church for practicing polygamy. If you ask a Mormon, they will tell you that polygamy was necessary when they practiced it because of the struggles present at the time, there were more women than men, and women were without the protection of a man in a time when that was needed. Today it is not necessary, but the time for it may come again. I think its a line of crap, and had the government not pressured them, they would still be practicing, but that is just my opinion. In the time that the mainstream LDS church practiced polygamy, marrying young girls was not the same as it is today as everyone was married at a younger age.

One could argue that outlawing polygamy is a no different than outlawing gay marriage, as who am I, you, the government or anyone else to tell someone who they can love, marry, partner with, etc and under what conditions??

Almost all mainstream Christian religions oppose gay marriage and Christians and their churches of most denominations support its continued ban, some more vocally and financially than others.

If you are going to hold the LDS accountable, just be sure that it isn't just because Mormon isn't cool..
    wait. what? i thought if you disagreed with someone's point of view you were supposed to call them retarts and morans? how am I supposed to respond if you made a valid point? jeesh. you're making it difficult!

yeah LDS and the FLDS are seperate. I recognize that...but "their history" wasn't more than a generation-or-two ago.

my only point was the kids in the video may be talented film makers (or not I don't know what it takes to edit a music video)...but to me (and apprently not to others) the video reeked of propaganda. maybe it is. maybe it isn't.

the rest of my post was basically just blah blah blahing with advreblowedface.

Exactly. So here's a group of people that want to be able (or did so recently) to marry whomever they choose. Yet they pump tons of money into limiting that same right for everyone, especially non-mormons. Furthermore, it's not so much polygamy that I take issue with, it's the fact that often the wives were underage and against their will. Obviously "gay marriage" doesn't include marrying little boys...though if it did it would probably have the support of most Catholics!

Nice, I used to highline there. It's the same place Dean Potter did his first free solo BASE-highline. For those questioning the rigging, don't. It's solid and very redundant. Don't know the people who funded the video but they seem odd...

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    yeah LDS and the FLDS are seperate. I recognize that...but "their history" wasn't more than a generation-or-two ago.

my only point was the kids in the video may be talented film makers (or not I don't know what it takes to edit a music video)...but to me (and apprently not to others) the video reeked of propaganda. maybe it is. maybe it isn't.
    I don't think that anyone is arguing that the Mormon church didn't suck in the past or even that it's ok now. I'm certainly extremely opposed to their view on gay marriage and the role of women.

What some people are saying is that immediately identifying an individual and anything he does with the total ills of a group that he may nominally belong to is no better than what a lot of the organizations we're criticizing do. I just did a bit of research and read profiles on the guy in Wired and The Daily Dot. He got his start with snowboarding videos. He dropped out of Brigham Young after one year. He talks about trying to make videos that look like Halo and Assassin's Creed. He makes his money by selling clips from the videos to big companies that want them for advertising. He doesn't mention Mormonism once. If these are recruiting videos for the Mormon church, it's really well hidden.

If he was a church leader or overtly promoting its policies, then I see the criticism, but I really think the best way to get over the divisiveness and hate organizations like religions sometimes engender is to take everyone as an individual, not as a representative of whatever group they might be able to be categorized into.
    Last edited by MarcusBrody; 03-02-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    But also to be fair, LDS encourages / requires a "traditional gender role" for women, has a long history of disallowing blacks, spends a shitload of money campaigning against gay marriage, and is extremely proactive in spreading their bullshit in developing countries.
    Many other Christian denominations do the same thing. Actually, just about every Christian denomination encourages and requires a traditional role for women to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The Mormons have pretty clearly developed a reputation for themselves due to the incessant hawking of their ridiculous beliefs. Most other religions don't have that stigma; if some Protestants made a series of web videos about them having fun, it's fairly unlikely that I would associate those videos with their religion (even though I think their brand of flying spaghetti monster is also ridiculous).
    Other religions do not go door to door, but they still have there methods of ministry.. Helping the poor with some sort of service and a dose of Jesus, helping build infrastructure in third world countries with an even larger dose o Jesus... Christians encountered everywhere will invite you to join them, some give up easily and some persist.

I am not defending Mormons.. they just aren't exclusive in obnoxiousness..

I am not defending Mormons.. they just aren't exclusive in obnoxiousness..
    oh, I know, and I agree. I mean, shit... I hate fucking everyone. But you have to admit, the Mormons take it a step farther than most other religions in the U.S.

I guess it could be worse - it could be a bunch of evangelicals on a rope swing. Although I bet Billy Graham has better taste in music.

I still don't see what these videos have to do with the LDS church as an organization outside of prejudiced armchair speculation. So what is they are mormon, do you know them? If you live in Utah, you know there is a huge spectrum of how faithful mormons can be, ranging from your batshit Provo mormons to jack mormons who will drink, have sex, party, and do all the other shit us non-mormon folks do. IIRC there was a whole thread once about a maggot who met a mormon chick in the bar, asked us all if we thought he could score, and ended up doing so. It's not like all mormons are some homogenous group of hive minds, its a church made up of individuals, all who interpret their beliefs differently. There is even a large group of mormons that feel sorry for the actions of the church against the LGBT community and formed a group called "Mormons Building Bridges" and marched in the Pride parade.

No but it's way easier to judge a group of people by the actions of a few of their members or leadership than to actually see people as individuals. It's pretty ironic that people in here are citing prejudice as a jusification to be prejudice themselves. You're no different when you do that.

It's also pretty silly that we're discussing any of this in a thread about a fucking rope swing.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

This thread delves into two things I already held as self-evident:

Mormons are weird.

Rope swings are fucking fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I still don't get how they don't splatter on the canyon wall on the way back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    No but it's way easier to judge a group of people by the actions of a few of their members or leadership than to actually see people as individuals. It's pretty ironic that people in here are citing prejudice as a jusification to be prejudice themselves. You're no different when you do that.
    Well, it's a little different. I don't know anyone that's moved to southeast asia for 2 years preaching hatred of Mormons, brought home an asian bride, then pumped out 15 kids who they indoctrinate with that same hatred.

But seriously, I don't dislike Mormons. I've known and been friends with plenty of them; they're not bad people. I just disagree with pretty much everything having to do with that Church, and I'm inherently suspicious of anyone who willingly associates themselves with that bullshit. Maybe some of Fred Phelps' followers are great people too, but they've got some big fucking hurdles to overcome to prove that to me.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I still don't get how they don't splatter on the canyon wall on the way back in.

stop asking pertinent questions, Ice .....Can't you see we've moved onto to mormon bashing here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

So, what type of rigging do they have to get down?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    So, what type of rigging do they have to get down?
    They weren't tied into the end of the rope and they were all wearing packs with the end of the rope stuffed in. After they stopped swinging, they'd be able to rappel down pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    This thread delves into two things I already held as self-evident:

Mormons are weird.

Rope swings are fucking fun.
    This. 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    I still don't see what these videos have to do with the LDS church as an organization...
    you need to recuse yourself, you're too close man...

but I agree with your sentiment - (I think...) WHO CARES???

rope swings are as dumb as marginalizing women.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    did you miss PHY 121 where the bowling ball on a string never hits the professor in the face, even though he lets it swing all the way across the room? You can't get any closer than where you started without an external force besides gravity.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

This is a bummer. Not the canyon swing but the Corona arch one. Sounds like the kids were inexperienced and/or just plain didn't know what they were doing. Of course, I don't blame the original riggers of the swing, or anyone but these kids themselves. These things will happen.

Not sure if it was the same people who originally set it up but I know a professional rigging company out of Moab was charging for rides for a while. Probably the ones the Youtube kid hired for his video. The riggers were recently shut down by the feds.

Bad deal, vibes to his peeps.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 03-25-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: dummy
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

He also did this, which i like
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.