Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

peanut allergies wtf?

whats up with kids and food allergies like peanuts? I'm 27 and can't remember going to school with more than 1 or 2 kids that had an issue, now it seems extremely prevalent. Do you older mags out there remember this being a problem back in the day? there has to be some specific causes right? wtf is going on with the next generation?

Nope we used to beat up the one kid w/ peanut allergies. Now the kids w/ allergies beat up the puke that has none!

Oh and food parents usually feed kids sucks now with all the chemicals in them.

Blame the untested gmo's. Wait I wasn't supposed to say that.

Allergies of all kinds are more prevalent these days. I sat next to a gal at the bar the other day who reamed the bartender because the restaurant didn't have enough vegan gluten free options. If you have that many issues with your diet, stay the fuck home or BYORF (bring your own rabbit food). [/rant]

I was on a Southwest flight the other day that they announced was Peanut-free because somebody had allergies. I wouldn't have cared but the only thing I had with me to eat was a Snickers.

I have a horrible peanut allergy. Literally can't touch one. Had it since birth. Have had a few really close calls. Once in college, I really needed my epi-pen but the night before I shot myself with it to just see what it did. Not recommended.

Genetically modified foods have eliminated so many of the threats to our immune system that kids bodies are looking for something to fight. Many of our modern snack foods contain natural allergens, like peanuts, and immune systems are therefore looking to attack those potential allergens, which makes youth more susceptible to common food allergies.

Mixture of gmo's and mothers stopping breast feeding earlier for the powdered stuff.

It's not just perception. Food allergies have apparently become a real problem.
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/healt...ies_06-20.html
    Perhaps it's all a conspiracy to further the pussiness of the next generation so we can be easily taken over? Hmmm. It could be GMO foods, pesticides, mothers not breast feeding like they used to, it could be that we're too sanitary these days, OR it could also be that people with severe food allergies used to die off easily before they could even have been diagnosed. Now they are able to be diagnosed, avoid said foods, and then breed, passing their crappy genetics on to the next generation. That's my completely unscientific theory as to why we have tons more health problems overall than ever before.

As a kid I remember hearing about kids who had it but never met one. I did see a kid who had hair , alot , at bottom of back but he could eat peanuts.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

I can't be bothered to re-read the whole thread.

But it's far enough back to be around the time that Spats solved it by blaming vaccinations, fluoride, or un-cavemenness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Nothing of any usefulness to add but I thought this was classic.
    At a party one of the kids who is allergic to nuts tells his buddy he cant eat something because of his nut allergy. The other kid with impeccable timing grabs his nuts and says "you allergic to these nuts?". 8 years old, I am so glad I heard it firsthand, his dad was proud but his mom was horrified. End Blog.

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    At a party one of the kids who is allergic to nuts tells his buddy he cant eat something because of his nut allergy. The other kid with impeccable timing grabs his nuts and says "you allergic to these nuts?". 8 years old, I am so glad I heard it firsthand, his dad was proud but his mom was horrified. End Blog.
    8 yr olds, Dude

I blame Obama. And Global Warming.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    That is awesome. What I find hilarious with the whole allergy hysteria these days are the blanket warning labels that are on EVERYTHING, including peanuts. I saw a label on a can of store brand peanuts I bought recently that said "Warning - This product manufactured on equipment that processes peanuts." Oh, really?! I never would've guessed.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    they are able to be diagnosed, avoid said foods, and then breed, passing their crappy genetics on to the next generation. That's my completely unscientific theory as to why we have tons more health problems overall than ever before.
    Allergies = crappy genetics that shouldn't breed? Poor Commonlaw.

I don't ever recall hearing about kids with food allergies when I was growing up in the '70s. Wasn't something I was even aware of 'til probably some time in the late '90s. Everyone ate PB&Js back then and I don't recall anyone dieing from them either.

I had hayfever as a kid - really allergic to grass. Bothered me pretty bad up into my early 30s then just seemed to go away. I still get itchy and red eyed and sneezy if I mow the lawn on a hot dry day but when I was younger that kind of thing would've had me breaking out in hives and my eyes swelling shut.

So what is causing this huge upswing in allergies these days? My office-mate is always going on about his kid's allergies.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Allergies = crappy genetics that shouldn't breed? Poor Commonlaw.
    Well, if the allergy is bad enough to freaking kill you, then yup...that's some pretty lousy DNA. How good is your genetic code for the human race if you can't even step outside without potentially dying of a peanut particle floating through the air? Sorry commonlaw. Nothing personal. I'm just making another cold-hearted, asshole comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Poor Commonlaw.
    Don't feel too bad for him.

He does have fractional ownership of a fucking sweet vacation home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Don't feel too bad for him.

He does have fractional ownership of a fucking sweet vacation home.
    True, but I can't eat the chips at the resort.

It's GW Bush's fault. Don't you all remember? He's the goto for everything.

Is this because of chemtrails?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Is this because of chemtrails?
    Yes. Peanut dust in the air. Pregnant women inhale that shit and bam, allergy kid.

http://fooddrugallergy.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=40

Good primer, if you want more depth, start searching academic journal databases.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho