Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Snapped another dps.

About two years ago I broke a dps lotus 120 in half. I made a thread with pictures about it, I'm not going to go over it again. Anyway, marshal hooked me up with a single. That was way cool of him, and gave me a pretty high respect for the brand.

Fast foreword to yesterday. I was skiing a pretty big face with some relatively heavy chop. I was going pretty damn fast, made a hard turn and hit a chop pile that I thought was much smaller. I felt a fair bit of energy go into my left ski tip, I almost went down but the ski didn't come off and I finished the run. The rest of the way down I felt my ski tip flapping more than normal. When I got in the tram line I noticed a distinct kink, and the top sheet had delaminated. This way the first run of a pretty decent powder day, so I finished off the day skiing gingerly, and by 3 or so they were completely broken.

Attachment 133357

Attachment 133358

I obviously don't really expect dps to do anything, they've already helped me out once. I'm just bummed, and wanted to share this with you guys. In about 150 days of resort powder days and touring I've snapped two different dps skis, both times were in soft snow, and neither times times was there any rock damage involved. The bases on these things are pristine, no edge damage, I store them inside every night, I've really treated them well. For a brand that claims to use a superior construction technique that creates stronger, longer lasting, better skiing skis I'd expect a bit more. To break a 1,200 ski in half two times in two years is pretty disappointing. I was going to get a new spooned 120 for next year, but I don't think I'll ever ride a dps again. It's a bummer because I loved the way they skied. Oh well.

yo man, random q: is it possible i ran into you at the snowbird tram 2-3 weeks ago?

either way, those old bamboo sidewall skis are way different that the current construction stuff. literally on the edge material and base material are the same. everything else is 100% different: core, laminates, sidewall, top sheet, spacers, binding retention plates, etc. all completely different materials. just FWIW.

shoot me a pm, and I see if i can dig anything up.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

doughboyshredder Guest

Not the first story of shoddy construction I have heard. In all fairness, I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service. They totally tool care of a buddy of mine who had problems. DPS has been all the rage around here (PNW BC) the last couple of years but their time as the 'it' brand seems to be waning.

99.99 % any other ski would have made you crash, fucked you up, season ender style. I would be thanking them and buying some new skis.

For the poster above, that comment has no merit. The OP was ripping way harder than any average person, and pushed the equipment so hard it failed, but he stayed skiing and did not crash. IMO, hearing the circumstances and not knowing the exact speed, weight of the skier, or other pertinent variables, I would not jump to such a conclusion.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

^ like I said I'm just bummed they broke, and in hindsight there definitely was a significant impact, just in my mind not enough to break a ski. I guess it's a pretty subjective thing though, I have no idea what kind of forces went into that ski or at what type on angle. There is no formula for what should or should not break a ski. it just sucks that I've been at the end of it twice with an awesome ski.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    99.99 % any other ski would have made you crash, fucked you up, season ender style. I would be thanking them and buying some new skis.

For the poster above, that comment has no merit. The OP was ripping way harder than any average person, and pushed the equipment so hard it failed, but he stayed skiing and did not crash. IMO, hearing the circumstances and not knowing the exact speed, weight of the skier, or other pertinent variables, I would not jump to such a conclusion.
    You were there? You saw it happen? Aren't you a snowboarder in Colorado? I'm confused...
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

i think i haven't seen another broken dps in between your first one and this (i may be wrong) but if you're the only dude who breaks dps skis they should just make you an official long-term tester and give you a pair of ski to bang until they break, then send back...

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post

Agreed. And within 7 minutes of posting the company sales manager instantly responds and offers a solution.

DPS is not waning, they are growing their market and bringing new exciting products to very happy end users.

You think downhillers that crack bike frames under extreme conditions think their bikes suck? No way, warranty takes care of them and product managers learn from the failures.

Everything breaks, windsurfing has proved that.

Drop Marshal a line, he'll help sort you out.

If you're on bamboo-sidewall editions, these skis be at least 5 years old.

That's some decent lifespan for bamboo sidewall, before DPS went UHMW sidewalls, came out with Pure2 (vertical titanal) and now Pure3 construction (metal tip and tail inserts too), and released the Wailer 112RP and the Spoon. A lot has changed not only in DPS construction since then, but in all manner of R&D: look at Dynafit, we've gone from the Vertical to the Radical to the Beast; look at AT boots, we've gone from the Radium to the Vulcan.

Arguably the past 5 years has seen more innovation in light, fast and strong equipment since the beginning of ski design history. The same goes for a lot of climbing gear too, btw. There's a lot of trickle down happening from military and space technologies, advanced computer modelling --- the next thing will be 3d printing this shit.

Anyway. Where I ski people break gear all the time because they push it to the limit. Sounds like this gear did well given its age and construction. You think skiing is bad, try mountain biking.

Back to your regular programming.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    i think i haven't seen another broken dps in between your first one and this (i may be wrong) but if you're the only dude who breaks dps skis they should just make you an official long-term tester and give you a pair of ski to bang until they break, then send back...
    Wouldn't that be sweet...
    I might just be pretty hard on my gear or have some kind if dps curse going on. Anyway, like others have said both times the company has responded pretty incredibly. I absolutely don't expect any kind of deal or new ski, I feel like even if this is the end they gave me a pretty damn fun 2 years. Just bummed and can't really figure out why they keep breaking. I may have been a bit harsh in my op, marshals quick response restores my faith in the company even if I end up having to buy a new pair next season.

FWIW, I weigh 170, and ski as fast as possible everywhere I go. I'm still getting used to this light Utah snow and sometimes I forget 8 inches of skied up blower isn't the same as 8 inches of dense ak pow. You just hit way more hidden shit. What looked like a blastable chop pile might of been concealing an ice mogul. Like I said I don't really know.

I still don't get your point. Why did you post this thread? If you broke a two year old Rossi or Kastle you'd probably get told to pound sand. You break a DPS and post about it here, and one of the first responses is from the sales manager offering a fix. Take your thread down and deal with Marshall.

Having broken a tip in the newest pure construction, I think the thread is valid.

It's legit to share data. Don't think whining or complaining is right, but sharing info is good.

Mine was on a wind lip of dense natural snow, no icy mogul.

Ever see a bent ski tip?? It happens all the time with other brands. That's a lot of energy that has to go somewhere.
    . . .

As a DPS owner/user I am interested to know of ski breakage. Same as I like to know of other manufacturers breakage or any significant issues.
    watch out for snakes

Of course, the post is valid, and wanted. DH, WHAT???
    DPS = Jaguar of skis. ... smooth, silky, a nice ride...very finicky.... bamboo sidewalls were much more so, but still, in play.

No comparison between DPS and Kastle/Stockli. They are two totally different animals. Like I say, Jaguar vs. Lambo.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Leave the thread up, I get you sorted, and you can update with feedback. That is, of course the whole point of tech talk.

Though not sure what the expectations of lifespan might be? That 2006 ski I sent had 50+ days on it, and I specifically said no promises as that old construction was not as durable as the newer jazz, and you put 150 more on? just personally, i would be super stoked, rather than bummed.

Either way, let's connect in person, and shred.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Jaguar vs. Lambo.
    Hard to tell which one's reliable in this analogy.

Manufacturer aside, it's hard to expect much from a 6 year old ski that has been driven hard its whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    Leave the thread up, I get you sorted, and you can update with feedback. That is, of course the whole point of tech talk.

Though not sure what the expectations of lifespan might be? That 2006 ski I sent had 50+ days on it, and I specifically said no promises as that old construction was not as durable as the newer jazz, and you put 150 more on? just personally, i would be super stoked, rather than bummed.

Along with the "wow, I can't believe I spent 1200$ on a ski but its totally worth it " feeling when you take that 1st run THIS ^^ is why you buy DPS, you became a DPS customer and buddy is gona make you happy long after you had a reasonable expectation of any help ... try that with any other ski brand

Marshal also helped out this DPS Fanboy ... what more can one ask ?

I personally appreciate reading posts like this, but wanted to also add another shoutout to DPS's customer service. They really went out of their way for me on a pair I bought on this forum, not to mention that their skis' performance far exceeded my expectations. Any gear will fail at some point, but it's nice to know that there's an accessible human being backing it up.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post

another great tgr moment imo!

...i am trying to torment my 112wailers into shreds so i can get the rpc next
    bF

So, after breaking 2 of their skis are you going to ride DPS again?

Why can't CEO's of large multinational corporations act like Marshal?
    Everyone would be better off.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Why can't CEO's of large multinational corporations act like Marshal?
    Everyone would be better off.
    Most of them can't ski for shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairmaster View Post
    So, after breaking 2 of their skis are you going to ride DPS again?
    No idea on this one, other than 200 hard days of skiing, but the first pair was broken on an over rotated front flip to flat hard snow IIRC... which is about as good a way to snap a tip as I can imagine.

I didn't read this entire thread but wanted to chime in with the following...

I've been on some pre production 2014 stuff. I did something today that A) could have ended my season (or worse) and B) should have broken a ski.

Thankfully, I'm okay. And somehow, the ski is too (less a whole bunch of p-tex) even though it took an impact that could have easily broken bones.

Point is, every ski can break. (yes, every ski) I'd put the DPS stuff against anything else out there on a durability basis.

And if it makes a difference, I never loved any ski from DPS until now (one thing was always off for me). The 2014 stuff is something really special. Damp, light, powerful, durable and one-of-a-kind shape (Spoon 120). Fun stuff.

/threadderail