Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Scarpa freedom

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    I felt the opposite (when using an intuition in pu) and was not the only one with this opinion. Anyway, I am sure you know the pu feeling and the pebax feeling. It's not a matter of flex rating, it's more a matter of elastic response
    Verbier61, I think I'm correct in saying you have skied the Fischer Vacuum Ranger too, how would you compare the flex/response between the two??

Quote Originally Posted by verbs View Post
    Verbier61, I think I'm correct in saying you have skied the Fischer Vacuum Ranger too, how would you compare the flex/response between the two??
    Correct, I am using both.... But note I'm using pu freedoms. The main difference is that freedom walks better. As for the flex, using standard liners the freedom is a bit stiffer and more progressive. I believe though both deserve to be used with better liners. An intuition overlap works extremely well in both.

am i the only one that thinks the fit of the freedom is really weird?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    am i the only one that thinks the fit of the freedom is really weird?
    In which sense?

Massively wide ankle on the medial side, ankle is wider than it is long!

Also, very pointy toe box @3rd and 4th toe.

Pebax version is notably softer than pu.

Correct, I am using both.... But note I'm using pu freedoms. The main difference is that freedom walks better. As for the flex, using standard liners the freedom is a bit stiffer and more progressive. I believe though both deserve to be used with better liners. An intuition overlap works extremely well in both.
    Ok, thanks for the info. I currently ski the Ranger with a Zipfit liner, which I find much better than the stock liner, and tour in the Maestrale. I'm looking for a 'one boot does it all', if that's actually possible....... Was hoping the Freedom would be substantially stiffer than the Ranger, which I find a bit soft!

Ok, thanks for the info. I currently ski the Ranger with a Zipfit liner, which I find much better than the stock liner, and tour in the Maestrale. I'm looking for a 'one boot does it all', if that's actually possible....... Was hoping the Freedom would be substantially stiffer than the Ranger, which I find a bit soft!
    Pu freedom plus zipfit might be sweet..... Gonna try it in a week

Massively wide ankle on the medial side, ankle is wider than it is long!

Also, very pointy toe box @3rd and 4th toe.

Pebax version is notably softer than pu.
    Every foot is pretty different 0-o ! I just have a problem with the neck (do you also say so?) of the right foot, and am quite fine with the rest of the fit. Pu is the way to go, agreed. Even though it might become soft in hot spring days... Which I have not experienced yet, so actually who knows..

Every foot is pretty different 0-o ! I just have a problem with the neck (do you also say so?) of the right foot, and am quite fine with the rest of the fit. Pu is the way to go, agreed. Even though it might become soft in hot spring days... Which I have not experienced yet, so actually who knows..
    Hey guys. Thanks for all the info. After my experience with the pebax maestrale (the orange ones) softening in warm weather to the point of mush I would not be to keen to go that way with the freedom.
    So far I am loving my maestrale rs. Is the freedom pu the same material or have the same characteristics as the rs?
    Was up on Katahdin in ME last weekend in full on spring conditions and my maelstrales held up great! In the quest for the one boot/ski/binding quiver wondering if the freedom pu fills the boot requirement? Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Hey guys. Thanks for all the info. After my experience with the pebax maestrale (the orange ones) softening in warm weather to the point of mush I would not be to keen to go that way with the freedom.
    So far I am loving my maestrale rs. Is the freedom pu the same material or have the same characteristics as the rs?
    Was up on Katahdin in ME last weekend in full on spring conditions and my maelstrales held up great! In the quest for the one boot/ski/binding quiver wondering if the freedom pu fills the boot requirement? Thanks.

Maestrale rs = grilamid, a nylon which (so far) for technical reasons can not be used for overlap boots. Said that, the pebax and pu freedom are made with some carbon fibers, so they're not exactly comparable to classic pebax or pu boots.
    I've heard people who likes the pebax freedom over the pu, and vice versa. For sure they feel different. Have not spent enought time on both to draw definitive comparative conlusions...

Every foot is pretty different 0-o ! .
    ha! i have never seen an ankle that is wider than it is long '

the pebax and pu freedom are made with some carbon fibers, so they're not exactly comparable to classic pebax or pu boots.
    my understanding is that the sole has a carbon shank in it, so they could make the sold thinner and lighter, and then use the carbon to keep the torsional stiffness in the boot. i don't think the plastic of the boot itself has any carbon in it.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Are they better or worse than dynafit titans

Pu freedom plus zipfit might be sweet..... Gonna try it in a week
    Fingers crossed...... Let us know how it goes if you do get the chance, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powmasterian View Post
    Are they better or worse than dynafit titans
    Walk way better and ski a bit better imvho

ha! i have never seen an ankle that is wider than it is long '

my understanding is that the sole has a carbon shank in it, so they could make the sold thinner and lighter, and then use the carbon to keep the torsional stiffness in the boot. i don't think the plastic of the boot itself has any carbon in it.
    They have said somewhere the plastic has some carbon fiber in selected areas (certainly including the sole) but I do not know the details

Thanks gentlemen.

The Passion is in the Risk

So for those who have skied both the Maestrale RS and the Freedom, which would be a better one boot quiver if the soles didn't matter? For a person who does about 60% inbounds and 40% touring, would it be worth the lower weight and rockered sole of the Maestrale over the freedom? They both seem to be about the same for inbounds, the RS maybe a bit softer, from what I read, so not to many tradeoffs there with whichever one ones goes with? Fit also doesn't seem to have less volume than Maestrale either. Thanks in advance.
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7

Spent 60d on the RS and some 10 in the pu freedom. I can ski faster with the freedom, which walks almost like the RS (almost!) but is some 500g heavier. For what you have in mind, if tour skinning is usually below 1000m I would pick the freeedom

thanks for that verb. what makes them ski better for you? is it the fit, or flex, or something else? thanks.
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller

The freedom has a bit more mass and rear spoiler, both crucial issues for the way I ski (certainly more finesse than brutal force, which I miss because of the age). I recently found that a good footbed (surefoot in this case) greatly improved the freedom, whereas it was not so crucial with the maestale that has an intuition liner much better than that provided with the pu freedom.

.... And yes, pu freedom plus surefoot plus grandprix zipfit is a great combo.

hhmmm...good info verbier, thank you. So one more question from the jong, what's the smallest size they make these in? Can't find it anywhere.

.... And yes, pu freedom plus surefoot plus grandprix zipfit is a great combo.
    So you got a chance to ski the freedom with the zipfit then? Did the zipfit make a big difference?

Also, did you get the opportunity to compare the Freedom and the new BD Factor MX 130? Specs make them look like they are very similar boots, just wondered if you can comment on the flex and lateral stiffness between the two?
    Last edited by verbs; 04-17-2013 at 12:45 AM.

So you got a chance to ski the freedom with the zipfit then? Did the zipfit make a big difference?

Also, did you get the opportunity to compare the Freedom and the new BD Factor MX 130? Specs make them look like they are very similar boots, just wondered if you can comment on the flex and lateral stiffness between the two?
    Pu freedom plus gp zipfit are a perfect marriage. Sorry no comparison with the factor, and no idea about the smallest size....

I've skied both, although I skied the pebax version of the Freedom, not the PU.

The Factor MX is stiffer in forward flex by a noticeable amount. Say, 15%? Lateral flex felt the same between the two, but I only skied the Factor MX in soft snow. Another thing that I felt significantly affects the performance is that the forward lean is highly adjustable on the Freedom, but is NOT adjustable on the Factor MX. The stance is pretty upright on the Factor MX - good for some, but not for me. The Freedom walks a little bit better despite the specs claiming more ROM from the Factor.

If you like a stiff boot in all directions, and like an upright stance, go Factor MX.
    If you like a laterally stiff boot with a more forgiving forward flex, or want a more aggressive forward lean, go Freedom.
    Both are excellent boots.

Smallest size in the men's color is a 24 shell. Smallest size in the women's color is a 22 shell. Flex and shell fit is identical between men's a women's, just minor liner differences. Once the SL's Intuition liner is molded, you won't be able to tell a difference.