TR- Secret Cabin in the Koots Feb 9-11.13

The other weekend my guy and I both had the weekend off, and it was a long one, so I decided we needed to get out and do something. Cabins are getting more popular around here and now have to be booked way ahead of time (wtf), but after a bit of searching I was able to find one, not even all that far from where we live. And we could take our dog. So with some hopefully clear directions for how to find it, we set off.

At the bottom of the road, this white maremma dog hooked up with us. He walked with us for a few hours before we finally got him to leave.

We were a bit concerned there’d be other people in the very small cabin, but it didn't look too busy.

It’s got to be just around that ridge right? 3 hrs in… the answer was no.

5.5 hrs later. Yeah we found it!

Sweet!

The next day we were pretty slow getting out. With the warmth and the slow start, we were more about a recon mission.

It was super warm out- +6C in the sun on the ridge- so we were pretty limited in what we could do. We decided to hang out a while and enjoy the views and the sun.

And scope out future lines

Time to go down

Let’s hit the sun for a beer

ahh. We basically skied down the treed ridge from the sun, but from a different knoll that isn’t in view.

Back near the cabin we heard voices- some x-country skiers had shown up. It only took them 2.5hrs to get here. Hrm. And look who followed them all the way up.

night time hang out

The next morning…. a little warm up-

Really pretty low clouds

They lifted and we could see across the valley. I want to go back to ski that centre saddle. And other stuff.

Our goal was to find a small, higher up lake.

We had about an hour left until our time to go time when we found it. Let’s go ski that!

Done!

Thanks Secret Cabin, that was really fun! See you again soon!

Nice Tr.

Nothing like a rustic cabin and some bush skiing.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

i love you man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice TR! Hopefully you got the dog to carry a couple of 2-4's in that pack!

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Looks sweet! So what's the story with the random dog? Did it end up being the x-country skiers'?

He carried my winter boots and a few light things, and garbage on the way out... it was his first pack trip so we didn't want to turn him off.

Random dog wasn't with them, he just followed them all the way. He must live near the bottom of the road. I got the feeling it wasn't the first time he'd been there- I think it's in their breed to have a big range. He stayed until it was well past dark. Then he barked a few times and wasn't there in the morning.

Looks like a fun weekend!! Love the low key cabins spread across the interior. Way better!

beautiful...dogs, powder, skiing, and beer.

nice work,
    why is everyone else gets bluebird dayz except me ???

thx for not writing a blog for every shot ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

low key and awesome!

I like your style.

Cool trip

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    The other weekend my guy and I both had the weekend off, and it was a long one, so I decided we needed to get out and do something. Cabins are getting more popular around here and now have to be booked way ahead of time (wtf), but after a bit of searching I was able to find one, not even all that far from where we live. And we could take our dog. So with some hopefully clear directions for how to find it, we set off.
    Nice Sparks! Damn, the last time I saw RedRon(of OffRoadToad fame) was in Nelson on a ride 10 or so yrs ago..! Do you know if Ronnie'sPlayland still exists?

Nice coo trip and from what I can tell it is just minutes from town across the Orange bridge eh? Up K ck to the deadend, lake/cabin?

Nice pics n'shit!!

Dig the Koots hella. The best part about MT is the proximity to SEBC, IMHO.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

don't know how 'secret' that cabin is... I've heard it's hard to find though. How well does it keep heat in? I've heard it's got quite the draft. Some friends want to stay there for a few days and we were thinking of just bringing our tents and use the cabin for hanging out in.
    Last edited by drail; 02-21-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Good one!looks like great conditions with light and snow. Was wondering if that was Ron. Raced the rubber head and a few other races back in the day with him in the field

Solid work Sparkle! Glad to see it still has newspaper chinking in a few of the gaps!
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by drail View Post
    Sure would make hitting lines off the backside of XXXX(and area) a lot easier.
    drail, I think you should edit your post, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks guys!

Wow telebelle and grinch! I showed this to Ronnie and he's super stoked that you remember him and playland! (which got knocked down when the land got bought and clearcut, sadly.)

He'd love to know you guys are, so pm me please. Way to make him feel famous, he loves that. haha! He said he owes you a beer for the ego stoke.

thanks drail and snoboy. lots of holes for sure, but the cabin kept heat good enough- it was -4 in the am inside, -10 outside.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    Thanks guys!

Wow telebelle and grinch! I showed this to Ronnie and he's super stoked that you remember him and playland! (which got knocked down when the land got bought and clearcut, sadly.)

He'd love to know you guys are, so pm me please. Way to make him feel famous, he loves that. haha! He said he owes you a beer for the ego stoke.
    Well, I have a bunch of Kamikaze pics from 87 or 88 and I am sure there is one of him drifting the lower corner on the Toad....I will look for it. I bet he will dig! The playland was the shit and it sucks it is gone. Damn was it unique and coo!

I'll get the PM on the way.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day