Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FS: Fontaine Base Grinder - Denver - Probably cheap

So I'm moving to a new place and this is taking up space that's needed. I really don't want to part with it but in all reality I should get rid of it and have someone else put it to use. I've had it for a few years and only used it sparingly.

It's an old portable Fontaine belt grinder, has 6"(?) belts (lots of new ones, both coarse and fine grits, can check on the specifics later), and a gallon of concentrated SVST belt fluid. VERY portable, has wheels to wheel around the shop, not very big (could probably fit it in the back of a lesbaru), not very heavy (easily moved with two people), and runs on regular 120V. Sweet little machine for the DIYer. Some rust and could use a new gasket for the hose (easy fix). Last time I used it everything worked. I'm located in downtown Denver and no way am I shipping this thing. I have no idea what to ask for this, no reasonable offer will be refused.

I can post actual pics up tonight if there is interest or you can just come by and check it out. It looks just like the one below but with cool stickers all over it. Did I mention that it was used in the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics!!!! At least that's what a sticker on the side says.

Somebody take it before I change my mind.

Pics below in the thread...
    Last edited by soups818; 09-23-2014 at 11:52 AM.

I really want one of those. Can you run it up to Seattle for me please?

Cool breeze, soups. The gem attribute of that baby is the 120V.
    Flip a belt inside out and that fukker will put a good ride on an old base.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Flip a belt inside out and that fukker will put a good ride on an old base.
    No shit? Did not know that trick. Someone in Denver hurry, mind is beginning to change.

Keep it. Build a couple of angle blocks for the inside gate and you can do the edges if you tip the ski up on edge. Tablesaw can rip you some 1-3 degree cants with a bit of trial and error or if you've got some machinist tools you can rip them easily. I did it with some Poly blocks I sourced from the scrap bin at work. Ran mine that way until I got an edger. A machine like that can slide up against a wall in the garage real easy. Worn out belts can give a pretty nice finish as well but won't give you structure. A cheap hand structuring tool and this would make alot of maggots happy.
    Driving to Targhee

Bump. Moving tomorrow.

seriously, how much to have it trucked to Seattle?

pm sent.....

I don't want to do the leg work of shipping this thing. If you want to look into it my zip code is 80203. The thing is probably 4' long x 2' wide x 3' tall and weighs "I have no idea", 100lbs?

Hawk is local and PM'd me first. Responded.

Hawk's out. I was thinking $200? The motor is probably worth $100 on it's own and I probably have $60 in belts and fluid for it.
    Last edited by soups818; 10-13-2014 at 12:47 PM.

anyone driving denver to SEA? I'll pay ya....

soups, have you plugged it in lately to make sure it fires up?

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    anyone driving denver to SEA? I'll pay ya....

soups, have you plugged it in lately to make sure it fires up?
    No, but I will tonight or tomorrow

DON'T SELL IT SOUPS. You want to put it in my garage?

Did you start it up? I guess you've moved now, but if it's still available, I might be able to work something out, maybe. I'm in Vancouver, Canada, but could possibly arrange a road trip. If possible, I'd like to get fairly certain dimensions though, so I can make sure it would fit in my car.

Also, just for anyone thinking of shipping, I got a quote to send it to 98281 (Point Roberts, WA) and it was 550 bucks, so that option is kind of out.

Wish I'd seen this a bit sooner... I'm in Tucson (nobody really who can tune a ski around here), but will be in the Silverton area at the end of March. Maybe we can meet somewhere between Denver and there? Maybe Salida/Monarch? This is exactly the sort of thing I have been looking for, I have all the tools for beveling/edge tune/base work, but getting them flat is a pain in the ass by hand. That $200 price is totally fair, maybe throw in a bottle of good borderland tequila for your trouble? Let me know!

T
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

Sorry ya'll. After I got all my shit situated it looks like I'll have room for this after all. Never thought I would, stoked. Any Denver folk that want to use it hit me up.

agghhhh. oh well, i'm happy for you.

After being able to store this thing in the corner of my garage for a year and a half my Landlord now needs the space and wants my stuff moved. I have nowhere else to put it. I also didn't use it at all last year, so it's just taking up space.

I'm also going to be putting up an ad for a 6' steel "tuning" table and all my tuning accessories (files, waxes, roto brush, etc.) It has a drill press for mounting and a vice setup. All located in Denver and would love to sell the whole thing as a set. This would be a one stop shop for everything you would ever need to tune you and all your friends shit. Would make a super deal if someone took all of it. Probably well over $600 in stuff if you were to buy it all separately.
    Last edited by soups818; 10-13-2014 at 12:46 PM.

I may take the whole of it. send me some pics. pm sent.

I'll try and get some pics tonight

I'm till interested too....

Great deal. I had a Montana double belt auto feed grinder until a couple years ago. I forget what I sold it for, but it was much bigger and ran 220v 3 phase. Would have much rather had this little gem, perfect for the serious skier but who doesn't have a 10k sqft shop.

Some pics with shit all over the table...

BTW the machine has probably the coolest and oldest Black Diamond sticker ever.

need price for belt grinder very interested contact me at Jonathan.lionheart@yahoo.com or phone# 406-697-1281 please contact ASAP thanks Jonathan M. Platt
    SkiBoot RX-406-702-1530!

^^Sent you an email ASAP and havent heard back.

BTW...Olympus sorry we never connected on the phone, been crazy busy and forgot to call. You still interested? Are you able to pick it up somehow?