Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Touring pants

Anyone try the Dynafit Chugach pants? Mostly made of windstopper with some non-membrane stretch woven areas. Seem pretty nice. Still can't quite figure out where Windstopper fits in the fabric spectrum. In the past I thought it was pretty much Goretex without seam tape or something, but some retail folks have told me its not. Who knows...

I've got a couple of days in with a new pair of FlyLow Compound 2.0 pants and they're pretty great for BC use. Inside vents and full length outside vents without any mesh. The nylon they use is stretchy and accommodating which makes them more comfortable than other pants I've toured in. Definitely recommend them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by christoph benells View Post
    go for a lighter color like tan.

softshells are always black for some reason, heats up with the sunshine.

early summer skiing on PNW glaciers tan pants are almost a must!
    This! Plus 1) thin single-layer soft shell and 2) full or near-full side zips. If you do much warm spring touring anyway. Always warm enough for winter touring too I find (save the black goretex hardshell for winter lift skiing).

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Anyone try the Dynafit Chugach pants? Mostly made of windstopper with some non-membrane stretch woven areas. Seem pretty nice. Still can't quite figure out where Windstopper fits in the fabric spectrum. In the past I thought it was pretty much Goretex without seam tape or something, but some retail folks have told me its not. Who knows...
    Simple answer: Old windstopper was goretex without taped seams (usually). New windstopper is eVent without taped seams (usually).

The name has been applied to a variety of fabrics that don't act the same.

Picked up a pair of Arc Stinger Bibs for the season, one of the best bibs I've used. Gore Pro is breathable and lightweight as ever, a bit noisy, but that's any 3-layer material. Fit is perfect, Large at 6'2", 200lbs, not too baggy for touring and still room to layer for a cold day on the mountain. Wish the bib had the coverage over the chest of their Sabre Bib, but not a deal breaker.

anyone have expierience with the brand Eider? seem mostly euro, but the big "R" is carrying them. Anyway their Swift Pants look pretty alright. Windstopper uppers with gore lowers (built in gaiters). Outer venting. Look like a great touring option, and a great shell for Fatbiking too (cause that's how I roll).

http://www.eider.com/en/products/fal...-hybrid-pant-m

Anyone with hot new touring pants for this upcoming season? Haven't seen too many new entries recently... Looking for softshell or very breathable bibs or pants (already have a bombproof Trewth for full 3-layer).

The following seem like the best options (for me anyway):

Trew Roam (20mm WP/40mm breathable)
    OR Trailbreaker (3 layer bottom/softshell thighs)
    Flylow Compound (full Neoshell)

What am I missing?
    Other Flylow?
    Pattaguch?
    Freeride Systems?
    Other small co's?

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Anyone with hot new touring pants for this upcoming season? Haven't seen too many new entries recently... Looking for softshell or very breathable bibs or pants (already have a bombproof Trewth for full 3-layer).

Just bought my 2nd pair. I wore mine about 90% of the time save for a few super cold windy days.
    What size are you looking for?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

IMO hardshells are cooler than softshell, particularly when the hardshell has vent zips that manufacturers have decided softshell garments have no need of.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Anyone with hot new touring pants for this upcoming season?
    Other small co's?
    Was just looking at the Dynafit Mercury yesterday and the Aeon. Would like to hear some feedback on those if anyone has worn them. I run hot in the skintrack, need something cool.

BD Dawn Patrol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    BD Dawn Patrol.
    I thought they stopped selling those, but guess I was wrong. How's the waterproofness? Do you pant legs freeze up? How hot/cool are they? Mix of midwinter and spring (but have zip off dork shorts for the hottest of days).

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    IMO hardshells are cooler than softshell, particularly when the hardshell has vent zips that manufacturers have decided softshell garments have no need of.
    Zips are a requirement - preferably full length.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaller View Post
    Was just looking at the Dynafit Mercury yesterday and the Aeon. Would like to hear some feedback on those if anyone has worn them. I run hot in the skintrack, need something cool.
    Never seen these. Look interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Just bought my 2nd pair. I wore mine about 90% of the time save for a few super cold windy days.
    What size are you looking for?
    Size 33-34 waist, 31 inseam. M or L, depending on the manu/cut. Looking to move them to a new home?

^^^ I don't have them. I ultimately decided to keep my Guide Pants and picked up a pair of lightweight near-softshell stretchy climbing pants for warmer activities. The Guide Pants are actually fairly comfortable to warmer temps, but I just wish the pair I had wasn't black.

Whatever the current version of the Patagonia Guide pant is should be on your list too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

If you're looking at Fly Low stuff I think the IQ pant might be a better true touring pant than the Compound Pant. I think they are made of a significantly lighter weight Neoshell. I'm interested in checking those out as well as the new version of the Trew Roam bibs

Touring pants

Cooler in some areas of the legs, hotter in other areas. Regardless of zips or not, I'm overall cooler and less sweaty most of the time in a thin softshell. Also, a few softshells have zips. Mountain Equipment has a pair like that. Haven't tried it yet though.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 08-26-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    If you're looking at Fly Low stuff I think the IQ pant might be a better true touring pant than the Compound Pant. I think they are made of a significantly lighter weight Neoshell. I'm interested in checking those out as well as the new version of the Trew Roam bibs
    If you're a size L or XL, you're in luck! http://www.backcountry.com/flylow-gear-iq-pant-mens The pants look rad. I think they'd be too big for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    BD Dawn Patrol.
    Ahh, my alter ego has spoken. I have been rocking the dawn patrol (with suspenders) and they are pretty good. Minimal wind intrusion, awesome side zips, and almost no cuts as they are pretty cut resistant (skis, crampons).
    I will say that they fit tight. I have the mediums and I would not recommend them for other 35" inseam people. Also, they are tight on the thighs and waist. The buttons above the fly are these light plastic snaps and the top one always pops when I get air. I have not had them freeze up, but they can get a little wet as the dwr seems like it is average. The pockets are a joke. Pocket zippers open easily with dynamic skiing. The cargo pocket not so much.

All in all, if you are on the bigger end of a size, I recommend sizing up. They zip open, breathe well, and Schoeller material is fantastic.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Sweet Protection Outlaw pant. Awesome soft shell pant.

Agreed. Have some older TNF hard shells w full side zips that I wear exclusively. 3x/year I wear a silk base underneath. During spring I just unzip and air it out. In the market for something similar as I've kinda destroyed the cuffs w crampons...

The following seem like the best options (for me anyway):

Trew Roam (20mm WP/40mm breathable)
    Flylow Compound (full Neoshell)

What am I missing?
    Other Flylow?
    Pattaguch?
    Freeride Systems?
    Other small co's?
    I wore Flylow compound pants all last season for resort and touring and loved them. Their IQ pants are definitely worth checking out for something lighter though, heard very good things.

I really like the IQs in terms of breathability. But they're a little a baggier than I like for touring.

The Arcteryx ProCline FL is great. Much better for touring than all gore-texpants out there. Breath well, have zipper-vents, and a nice snug fit. You can get them in both long and regular fit. Used them 50 days last season - the do seem to be very durable as well. Did do one mod - sewed a hook + zipper on the front pocket so that I can have my beacon in there.
    Just remember to pack a sub-100-grams wind proof pant if you are going touring in the alpine on a windy day. That is the only downside with choosing soft shell, and not gore-tex when eating your lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by m48f02 View Post
    The Arcteryx ProCline FL is great.
    I'm also a fan of the Procline FL and used it for most of my touring and some lift skiing last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I wore Flylow compound pants all last season for resort and touring and loved them. Their IQ pants are definitely worth checking out for something lighter though, heard very good things.
    Same here - the compound pants are a really great do-it-all option. And they aren't exactly heavy.

I have pataguci and mammoth soft shells that work good. Key is to get a cuff that fits around your boots and holds tight.