Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Touring pants

Touring pants

Tried a brief search but didn't see anything recent that was touring specfic. Looking for new softshell-ish touring pants. I don't get that cold in winter but do get hot easily in the spring. Don't like the tight tapered euro fit, but I'm not going for baggy steeze either. I have a pair of Marmot Scree's right now but I don't really like the fit. What are your favorite touring pants?

I DO like the tapered euro fit, and so I'm looking at the rab neo stretch pants.

I have a pair of Marmot pro tour pant which is OK, not ideal. I wish it didn't have the gaiters and fit a bit better.

Have you checked out the Patagonia backcountry guide pant? I thought it looked far too bulky, but that may work for you.

Based on my criteria out of this post - OR Trailbreaker pants

I'm looking into some windstopper haglofs pants from STP, but of course euro fit I'd say, might work if yousize up

I was on a similar search last year: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-touring-pants

I ended up getting REI Acme (schoeller) pants because of an exceptionally good deal, and I've been pretty satisfied with them (though they seem to run big in the waist).

jeans slathered with sno-seal for the softshell-ish feel.

Patagonia guide pants, they come in three flavor. The simple guide is real light weight, but I like the regular guide pants. The guide BC is pretty heavy duty, and probably not a good spring tour pant.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Iceman tours in jeans
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by powski3 View Post
    What are your favorite touring pants?
    Depends on whether it's a mid-winter or a spring/summer tour. The OR Trailbreakers recommended by Lee are fantastic mid-winter pants, but they'd be way too much for May/June touring at WA Pass, Stuart Range, Goat Rocks, WA volcanoes, etc. (I noted that you are in Seattle.) Consider two pairs of touring pants, one for mid-winter, another for May through July.

Might check out Arcteryx Gamma SK, seems to fit your criteria.

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx...s/Fury-AR-Pant

relaxed fit in windstopper I usually wear them touring with no base layer, or on the lifts with polar tech tights

Likes: very nicely cut/good fit, zippered vents, detachable suspenders & built-in belt , powder cuffs, cordura cuff guards, zippered hip pockets and large pockets on the quads

Dislike: they are kind of expensive and not very waterproof on the chair altho they still worked pretty good and I was expecting too much from a soft shell

If they suddenly went missing I would buy another pair

Arcteryx Gamma SK - bought them as a light weight softshell touring pant, which they are awesome for. I've subsequently started using them for all my skiing, I'm comfortable with a couple layers of Icebreaker underneath to -25 celcius in midwinter storms, sitting on a chairlift, and without, up to plus 5. The only time I switch to Goretex is if I know I'll be sitting on a chairlift, and it's likely to be rain or close to it.

Great thanks for the suggestions guys. A bunch of those are ones I've been eying.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Normally a patagonia guy but not a fan of their latest softshell offerings. I picked up a pair of these OR Trailbreaker and have worn them over a dozen times ice-climbing and bc skiing so far this year and they are excellent! FWIW, 6'2" and 205 ilbs with 34 waist and wear size large. Had to buy a belt to prevent plummers but however with an arcade belt no more slippage. Really nice.
    The Passion is in the Risk

I have an older version of the Trailbreaker (gore windstopper softshell material) & they are awesome. I added some elastic braces (no belt) & all good. Only complaint is the vent zips could be longer. Most of the time I don't wear long johns & they are good, colder than -10c or riding lifts then long johns it is.

I also have some older MHW Synchro pants that have longer zips (ie better for warmer weather) but I like the mesh gaiter on the OR pants for skiing.

I too really like my Patagonia soft shell guide pants. Shed water, fit well, pretty good ventilation. But I too would say they're a bit much for a warm spring day. I know you said softshell, but more and more, I've begun using my Flylow Chemical and Flylow Magnum pants. They're not softshell, but they're lined and easy on the knees if it's warm and you're not wearing long underwear. They also have huge vents on the inner and out thighs. Can't go wrong with either of these whether it's below zero or 50 degrees.
    You have to let other people be right. It consoles them for not being anything else. -- Andre Gide

Like a couple of these guys, I have toured for years in Patagonia Guide pants (reg version). I skin super hot - I sweat even thinking about skinning. I ended up moving to the Patagonia Primo hard shell last year because I was literally soaking my guide pants (no insulating layer either) and getting cold trying to keep those pants warm.

I've actually been really happy with these pants, and probably won't buy soft shell again. These have big zippers for vents, are waterproof, and I feel that I can manage moisture much better.

YMMV, but I have become a fan of hard shell.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by powski3 View Post
    Tried a brief search but didn't see anything recent that was touring specfic. Looking for new softshell-ish touring pants. I don't get that cold in winter but do get hot easily in the spring. Don't like the tight tapered euro fit, but I'm not going for baggy steeze either. I have a pair of Marmot Scree's right now but I don't really like the fit. What are your favorite touring pants?
    What don't you like about the fit of the Screes? The old Cloudveil Peak pant was THE SHIT. I treasure my two pairs, though one of them is damn near transparent at this point.

If inbounds/bad weather touring I wear GTex Pro Shell. Else I use my Arc'teryx Gamma LTs. They are on the tighter side but breathe like crazy and weigh next to nothing.

Actually my touring layers (Arc'teryx Squamish Hoody, Gamma LT pants and MH Ghost Whisperer hooded down) combined weigh less than my Pro Shell pants

I have tried a lot of different pants for touring over the years, so much depends on the temps/conditions, some of the best ones I have used are wool pants.

The army surplus ones that are heavy and itchy but durable, inexpensive, wind blocking and have a ton of pockets.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Like a couple of these guys, I have toured for years in Patagonia Guide pants (reg version). I skin super hot - I sweat even thinking about skinning. I ended up moving to the Patagonia Primo hard shell last year because I was literally soaking my guide pants (no insulating layer either) and getting cold trying to keep those pants warm.

I've actually been really happy with these pants, and probably won't buy soft shell again. These have big zippers for vents, are waterproof, and I feel that I can manage moisture much better.

YMMV, but I have become a fan of hard shell.

Seth
    Sounds just like me. Sweat like a pig. FWIW, the OR trailbreaker pants have big side vents. I also wear patagonia primo pants for storm days but really liking the trailbreaker pants. I have been warm to zero degrees plus windchill with only a mid weight merino wool underneath. But I am a walking furnance. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

I concur on the OR Trailbreakers. Awesome pants designed for touring. They gave a beacon pouch with a tether point, awesome pockets, and good vents. Simply perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I was on a similar search last year: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-touring-pants

I ended up getting REI Acme (schoeller) pants because of an exceptionally good deal, and I've been pretty satisfied with them (though they seem to run big in the waist).
    I have a pair of these too and I really like the Schoeller Dryskin. They breath really well and are perfect for warm-weather touring, but lack any reinforcement on the instep and don't have any vents. I used them a few days at the end of last season and relegated them to fall/spring camping duty. They fit true to size on me.

I also have a pair of Norrona Lyngen Gore softshell pants from a few years back that have full side zips and are pretty nice. Slightly more wind/waterproof than the ORs, but also a bit tighter on my thunderthighs. If you can find them, they're pretty sweet.

For a hardshell, flylow's Especial Neoshell pants. Very breathable, hudge outside vents, smaller inside vents, and nice cordura re-inforcements on knees and ankle cuffs. One draw-back; the courdura on the knees seems to cut down on breathability, but then there's the vents...

Black only this year, but supposed to be offered in colors next. Mid-steeze fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Bingo. I probably went through at least a dozen different pairs of softshell pants before finding what I was looking for in the Trailbreaker.

I wear the OR Ferrosi quite a bit. There's super thin and light, but made out of a tech fabric that cuts a lot of wind. I'm pretty specific about how I layer underneath them and carry a super light pair of gore tex pac lite pants in my pack. That's been my new mantra is a lot of high tech hence light options inside my pack. They can be layered and switched on and off for lunch or highly aerobic climbing in warmer weather. Right now, that consists of a gore tex active shell (OR Axiom) that's incredible for aerobic activity in cold wet weather, a puffy jacket, puffy pants (also OR), and the shell pants mentioned above. The Ferrosi are built like a pattern for blue jeans, but out of stretchy tech fabric. Hope that helps.