Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Douchey Guitar Gods...or Douchiest?

I think Ted Nugent deserves a spot, if not the top spot.

Dude totally missed the boat on Rick Neilson. It's supposed to be a joke. But, he's damn good, too.

Joe Satriani is the Michael Bolton of guitar.

Steve Vai is basically Tony Wonder from Arrested Development:

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I think Ted Nugent deserves a spot, if not the top spot.
    Truth.

But does Nugent even have skillz enough to be described as a guitar god?

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Truth.

But does Nugent even have skillz enough to be described as a guitar god?
    Journey to the Center of The Mind is right up there with guitar god classics. He was 18 or 19.

My wife always wonders why Mayer is constantly flashing his O face.
    Live Free or Die

Funny list, but the authors don't know shit about guitar. Saying Eruption is "soulless" is ridiculous - unlike the reams of copycats who came afterwards, EVH actually played with swing and groove and didn't just blast up and down scales and arpeggios (like that Michael Angelo guy - he's just playing modes up and down really fast most of the time).

And saying the CC DeVille could "riff for days" is also ridiculous; dude could barely play guitar, he got the gig because he had the right hair and makeup. At 15 years old I realized that all he knew was one scale, everything he does is in a pentatonic minor (even when the song is in a major key - drove me nuts every time he'd hit that flatted third. Was he even listening?).

And does Steve Vai get no credit for being "stunt guitarist" in Zappa's bands? He did some cheesy shit at times, but is hardly a douchebag.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    At 15 years old I realized that all he knew was one scale, everything he does is in a pentatonic minor (even when the song is in a major key - drove me nuts every time he'd hit that flatted third. Was he even listening?).
    Pegleg just barely missed getting on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Funny list, but the authors don't know shit about guitar. Saying Eruption is "soulless" is ridiculous - unlike the reams of copycats who came afterwards, EVH actually played with swing and groove and didn't just blast up and down scales and arpeggios (like that Michael Angelo guy - he's just playing modes up and down really fast most of the time).

And saying the CC DeVille could "riff for days" is also ridiculous; dude could barely play guitar, he got the gig because he had the right hair and makeup. At 15 years old I realized that all he knew was one scale, everything he does is in a pentatonic minor (even when the song is in a major key - drove me nuts every time he'd hit that flatted third. Was he even listening?).

And does Steve Vai get no credit for being "stunt guitarist" in Zappa's bands? He did some cheesy shit at times, but is hardly a douchebag.
    I think the list was mostly based on facial expressions.

Eddie Van Halen should really be #1.
    Not only is he a great guitarist and a total douche, but he won't drink what he can't see through. or something.
    Wasn't VanHalen famous for their weird contract riders and destroying things? If anything, but Hagar on the list for being so bold as to join VanHalen.
    And Ted Nugent sucks, so he doesn't make the list.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    My wife always wonders why Mayer is constantly flashing his O face.
    Yeah - looks ridiculous. That being said, if making that face gave me those chops, I'd totally do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Eddie Van Halen should really be #1.
    Not only is he a great guitarist and a total douche, but he won't drink what he can't see through. or something.
    Wasn't VanHalen famous for their weird contract riders and destroying things? If anything, but Hagar on the list for being so bold as to join VanHalen.
    The rider story actually kind of makes sense.

In the height of their touring years they had big sets with tons of heavy lights and other staging elements over head. The rider not only covers what the band wants back stage but also the ins and outs of setting up the stage. They put a bowl of red M&Ms in the middle of the rider as a test to see whether or not the rider had been read. No bowl of candy was a quick and easy warning flag. I'm sure they also thought it was a funny thing to do, in a douchebag kind of way.

Ted was actually cool for a few moments in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Pegleg just barely missed getting on the list.
    True, that's why I'm bitter. Damn Joe Satriani, always one step ahead of me...

Seriously, though, I studied guitar pretty intensely in high school and listened to a ton of Satriana, Vai, EVH, George Lynch, Warren DiMartini, Tony McAlpine, Reb Beach, Racer X, etc. and just couldn't figure out how CC DeVille was even in the same room. He really could barely play his instrument.

And for what it's worth, EVH definitely deserves to be on the list 'cause he's both a douchebag and a guitar god. Just not for the reasons stated in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post

In the height of their touring years they had big sets with tons of heavy lights and other staging elements over head. The rider not only covers what the band wants back stage but also the ins and outs of setting up the stage. They put a bowl of red M&Ms in the middle of the rider as a test to see whether or not the rider had been read. No bowl of candy was a quick and easy warning flag. I'm sure they also thought it was a funny thing to do, in a douchebag kind of way.
    That really true? Interesting.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post

That's what I've always heard too - the "no brown M&Ms" thing was a test to see if anyone actually read the rider.

Greatest Guitar O-faces ever:

I've known Gibb Droll for a long time. Great guy, good if not great guitarist, and he makes fun of his own expressions when you're chatting w/him.

notable ommissions:

buckethead
    billy corgan
    noel gallagher
    slash
    ace frehley
    zakk wylde
    kirk hammett
    dave mustaine
    lenny kravitz
    ritchie blackmore

I'll second or third or forth Slash, I found the article funny even if I was not in total agreement.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    notable ommissions:

buckethead
    billy corgan
    noel gallagher
    slash
    ace frehley
    zakk wylde
    kirk hammett
    dave mustaine
    lenny kravitz
    ritchie blackmore
    Now you are dickwaving around like the guy in the article. There are 3 on your list that could pass the douchenozzle test; Mustaine, bucket head and corgan. I am not familiar with Noel or zakk.

Kirk? no way, dude is cool like Vai.

Lenny Kravitz? Cooler than you or me, best all around musician than anyone mentioned here today. For sure not a douche.

Slash is not a douche btw, he is just raking it all in.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Ive never had beef with Kravitz. Dude is an amazing musical talent.Thought I read somewhere he put out American Woman as basically a one man band.

I agree with Mayers chops, of all the dudes on the list, that guy probably has the most skill, followed by EVH.
    Live Free or Die

Oh yeah, Slash.
    Definitely #1 living guitarist/douche!

Sent from my DROID2
    No longer stuck.

Somebody please explain how Slash is douchey. Dude gets extra points for dealing with douchey Axel all that time.