Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dog friendly Beacons??

Been doing some reading on beacons, as I am a total jong and found a cool feature on the Pieps DSP. They also sell a dog collar beacon for $120 that can work with the DSP, but not the cheaper Tour model. Looks like the DSP is about $350 plus 2 dog collar beacons = $$$$$. Any other suggestions? I am just starting in the BC and know I will be a Meadow Skipper, but I would like a beacon that I can use with the dogs down the road, as I can easily imagine something going wrong with them out there with me. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

My dog finds it very difficult to get his DSP out of the rather snug zippered harness so he just carries his in pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I love my dog, so I gave this some thought too, but...
    Do you really want to be buried for that much longer while your buddies dig up your dog first instead of you? Will they have any way of knowing which signal is from you vs dog?

I'd be curious if so though.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    Will they have any way of knowing which signal is from you vs dog?
    The dog beacons work on different frequency than 457.

Feel free to punch in the nuts anyone you ever see with a 457 beacon on their pooch actually anyone you ever hear even contemplating it's wisdom on line.

Judo Chop, good question. Hopefully the avalung didn't get ripped out of my mouth and I have a little more time than the dogs. Good food for thought. If I killed my dog(s) I would be crushed, so maybe low angle stuff or leave them home.
    Edit: PNWBrit, so if a different frequency, my buddies beacon won't pick up the dogs signal until they dig my ass out and use my beacon??? I see the pups staying mostly at home.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Does your dog know how to switch to search mode?

If it's just you and the dog, get any old cheap beacon that transmits. Otherwise, no beacon for dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Hopefully the avalung didn't get ripped out of my mouth
    That's why you give the dog the avalung.... wicked strong jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    If it's just you and the dog, get any old cheap beacon that transmits.
    Why would you be touring alone with Fido in conditions/terrain where you thought it necessary for him to wear a beacon? Could Guarantee not to be in same area as others and have your scared/disobedient/lost dog running around in someone else's avalanche with their beacon still on transmit?

Punch yourself in the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    J
    Edit: PNWBrit, so if a different frequency, my buddies beacon won't pick up the dogs signal until they dig my ass out and use my beacon??? I see the pups staying mostly at home.
    Correct. IME the pups do stay mostly at home, certainly don't take them out into complicated terrain or on days when Avy danger is very much of a concern at all.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 02-01-2013 at 01:11 PM.

There's a lot of dude-on-dude nut touching going on in here.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Why would you be touring alone with Fido in conditions/terrain where you thought it necessary for him to wear a beacon? Could Guarantee not to be in same area as others and have your scared/disobedient/lost dog running around in someone else's avalanche with their beacon still on transmit?

Punch yourself in the nuts.
    I don't and wouldn't take my dog into avy terrain. I was thinking a dog beacon might make sense if the dog, due to a series of unanticipated errors, were to wander into a dangerous situation. Upon further review you're right. No beacon for dogs, ever, as even a small possibility that it could interfere with rescuing humans is unacceptable. I'll punch my nuts later after a couple cocktails.

I ski with my dog all the time, and he will never have a beacon unless there's one that uses different frequencies available.

As much as it would hurt to lose Jack in an avy, I'd never forgive myself for digging him out before a human.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I might dig Jack out before some people....

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I would dig my dogs out before lots of people I wonder what Dick Cheney is doing in a few weeks???

Putting a beacon on a dog is irresponsible.

Like that guy in your building?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Fuckin jongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    I ski with my dog all the time, and he will never have a beacon unless there's one that uses different frequencies available.

As much as it would hurt to lose Jack in an avy, I'd never forgive myself for digging him out before a human.
    There is, the Pieps. Your unit can search on the normal frequency for other trannies, or you can switch it to the doggy frequency to search for mutt. The Doggy unit only transmits (obv) and is a lot cheaper than then the real beacon.

live2ski, you could find some of the old 2.275 khtz beacons and put them on your dogs and carry one yourself. Just make sure they are not dual frequency like some of the old Ortovoxs were.

i hope you never have to make that choice, could take 6 pages just to figure out an answer.
    bobby

I thought dogs were good at finding bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    live2ski, you could find some of the old 2.275 khtz beacons and put them on your dogs and carry one yourself. Just make sure they are not dual frequency like some of the old Ortovoxs were.
    Thanks, I am just going to pay the price for the nice DSP unit and get a few of the collars down the road. I don't want to upset the core doods or have to punch myself in the nutz.

That's pretty cool that there's a different "dog freq". Hey, their hearing is different too

Pretty sure I've heard of dogs being buried a lot longer than humans can be and coming ok. They're already half retarded most of the time, so a little brain damage while you get dug up first is ok.

Also, ski edges. Ski edges are a big danger for dogs.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I gotta say, I do not like the idea of dual frequency devices for dogs and people. In the stress of searching, it would be a shame to find out later that you were in doggy mode. I like the KISS model for lifesaving devices.

Is it an avi poodle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I gotta say, I do not like the idea of dual frequency devices for dogs and people. In the stress of searching, it would be a shame to find out later that you were in doggy mode. I like the KISS model for lifesaving devices.
    Won't happen. The beacon has some pretty sweet features, long range and fast processing speeds. It is a little pricey, but a good tool for a jong.