White rim support question

I have a group of 12 planning a 3 day/2 night white rim trip. I've contacted the major outfitters, and the prices for 'tours' seem steep (~$250-300/day) and include a riding guide which we don't want. They don't seem willing to negotiate.

Is anyone aware of a relatively dirtbag van support + cook option?

We could potentially handle the van side of things, but the thought of cooking for 12 isn't appealing. does anyone know of a decent cook for hire in Moab?

I think I'd call Magpie and ask. Mike & Maggie are good people, and from the webpage they seem amenable to customizing (paring back?) itineraries if their trip schedule permits it. And if they're booked, they also might be able to give you a name of an acquaintance that would be willing to hire on as a cook.
    - Joe

300 divided by 12 = 25 bucks per person for cooking and, I'm assuming, sag backup in a van. Sounds pretty good to me.

I'll guess that, let's see, average bike price in the group is a lowball at 1800, so, at least 21 grand of bicycles will be down there. Spend a little more and support the local economy.

I agree with Benny... $300/day for support of 12 riders? Seems like a pretty good deal to me. How cheap do you want it?

Do it in one day, no support needed.

sorry, original post was unclear - $250-300/person/day.

most of us are couples, and $500/night for what in the end is still camping seems high

NuMexJoe - we're waiting to hear back from Magpie. I agree Maggie seemed pretty cool on the phone

Oh. That is a lot. Maybe there is a licencing thing going on. You have to use a few guys because other people aren't allowed down there.

Food better be damn good for that price.

For comparison I did the white rim, self supported, with a similar size group last October. It ended up costing us each ~$150. That includes renting a full size pickup, gas, food, etc...

A couple of people had nice car-camping setups: two burner colemans, folding tables, pots so we were set on group cooking gear. We got into camp early enough each day that cooking wasn't a big a deal. We split it up so that 2 or 3 people were in charge of each meal.

It was an awesome time...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whiterim.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	377.2 KB 
ID:	131569

The ride can easily be split into 2 nights 3 days with getting into camp early** The truck will have a hard time even keep up you'll be rolling so fast.

If you really do want a cook/support driver consult the locals on craigslist. Just make sure your insurance on any rented vehicle is sorted.

Damn I miss the white Rim. ** Depending on the sites booked

We put together a pretty stellar trip with that amount of people, just need one person that thrives on being the "camp" leader. Plenty of time to cook good meals and make margaritas on a 3 day trip as well.... You should rotate drivers in a vehicle spend $30/day/person on food and booze and have a grand old time on your own.

I'll pile on and just say do it yourself. I did it in a smaller group with one of our own trucks and it was easy - can't imagine it'd be THAT much harder with a group of 12.

That said I used these guys: http://whitepinetouring.com/ on a film trip to the Goblin Valley years ago and they were awesome. I'd give them a call and see if they'll do a White Rim (if you're set on hiring a cook/van).

What Pesto said. We did a couple of trips last fall- CT from Molas to Durango and the White Rim. Both times every meal would just have 2-3 people in charge of "each" meal planning/purchasing/cooking/cleaning (i.e. 2 people for day 1 bfast, 2 ppl for day 2 lunch, etc) and it worked out well for us.
    Last edited by goldenboy; 01-31-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: edited for clarity

I've done it self-supported with a big group before and agree it's awesome fun.

This difference here is that many in the group (the majority of whom I've never met) are new to camping, and those of us coordinating prefer not to be stuck doing the cooking. It's also my bud's 40th birthday, so upping the food game a bit would be cool.

if anyone comes across a harem of concubines that will ply us with sweet ambrosia while tending to our every whim, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by spicy cha cha View Post
    I've done it self-supported with a big group before and agree it's awesome fun.

This difference here is that many in the group (the majority of whom I've never met) are new to camping
    Holy cow that should make for some interesting camp talk. Being plenty of booze and please remember to do a snipe hunt

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

after we find the left handed smoke-shifter