Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what area of the country/zone is having the best winter so far??

i know colorado sucks, the east coast is off to a fairly strong start..

what about Utah? Tahoe? PNW?

any thoughts are appreciated, trying to decide on a trip for late february. word.

Glad you asked this important question! There is virtually no info on this topic anywhere. You are performing a great public service, I eagerly look forward to the responses from the community!
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

mid mountain snowpack at the bird is about 57". the snow is good quality but going downhill fast with the prolonged inversion. check out the wasatch conditions thread for backcountry conditions!!

Tahoe is having a pretty good winter so far. Almost all terrain is open at most resorts, and it's been super cold compared to usual so the snow quality has been good. Somewhat dry January but that's always the case out here. Late February tends to be a good time to visit.

PNW BC is sucking big time, half the snow pack of last year and we just had a week of high winds/warm temps

but there is still sking to be had

Wikked cold in Ohio right now.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Winter has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by tfater View Post
    i know colorado sucks, the east coast is off to a fairly strong start..

what about Utah? Tahoe? PNW?

any thoughts are appreciated, trying to decide on a trip for late february. word.
    It just depends on the discipline. When it is not so good for DH, the Nordic is awesome; and usually the opposite holds true as well. Love the skis!

And then there are those snowbike things. I've never ridden one and often made fun of them in the past. But shit, it seems like I know hella folk that dig the shit outa them and they have all season long. I decided to quit making fun of them and might try to make fun with a loaner one day when I get burnt on the skis.

Since we can change our discipline and attitude, you can make that best zone be that zone between your ears and then go from there.

Good luck on your trip!
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    PNW BC is sucking big time, half the snow pack of last year and we just had a week of high winds/warm temps

but there is still sking to be had
    Yeah, what Al said in Smithers. Same goes here in Terrace. Though it has to be said that even with the low snowpack, the skiing @ Shames and the BC has been pretty damn good (up until the latest fucking pineapple express), just not the usual fecken stellar. Heavy snow in the forecast for Friday eve though, so here's hoping...

edit cause I just saw above post by tellebele - what is this "Nordic" shit you speak of?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Alps, BC, WA. thats it.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

According to the BP America adds I keep hearing on the radio, the Gulf Coast of Florida is prime right now.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

The Pyrenees are going off. It hasn't stopped snowing for the last 2 weeks!! But by late feb we could be in the middle of a heat wave. Land of extremes, I'm telling ya!

Morroi

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    Glad you asked this important question! There is virtually no info on this topic anywhere. You are performing a great public service, I eagerly look forward to the responses from the community!

https://www.tetongravity.com/travel/s.../snowfall.aspx
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

EAst

Slow start, great week, BIG melt, little recovery, Cat 1 winds, -10` sunny.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    edit cause I just saw above post by tellebele - what is this "Nordic" shit you speak of?
    Skate skiing, it is commonly reffered to as Nordic. Fun and hella sweet on the joints. I have a shitty knee and shoulder and it does sweet wonders on them both. I don't really care for the grooming aspect but it is what it is...oh, the visuals are pretty stellar too!
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Ober Gatlinburg, definitely.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Alps, BC, WA. thats it.
    the alpental backcountry in Washington is pretty baked right now.

Paging Greg from AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    It just depends on the discipline. When it is not so good for DH, the Nordic is awesome; and usually the opposite holds true as well. Love the skis!

I don't know about that cuz the XC area would also like snow cuz its klister weather in january and the tracks are full of pine needles so are the groomed skate tracks

A buddy sez ice climbing is usually good when the skiing sucks and skiing is good when the ice climbing sucks

But nordic blading on the lake is sposed to be good

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    Skate skiing, it is commonly reffered to as Nordic. Fun and hella sweet on the joints. I have a shitty knee and shoulder and it does sweet wonders on them both. I don't really care for the grooming aspect but it is what it is...oh, the visuals are pretty stellar too!
    Interesting... So you walk all day with your skates on (that must be hard on the feet)? How do you gain any elevation? Do you put skins on the bottom of these skates for walking up hill? What is the performance of these skates in the powder? The visuals at the top of the mountain must be stellar for you to skate so much..
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

there is a skate course at hyak that delivers the funnies every weekend.o

Mammoth is having a phenomenal season.

http://cires.colorado.edu/~aslater/S...l_rank_swe.gif

Won't necessarily tell you what is good, but will certainly tell you what is bad - e.g. CO
    WA, BC & Alps sounds about right ... Alps = pounded - nice link above

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    You forgot to add the part about that awesome Rutland vibe and the Italian chicas from NJ and how awesome Kmart is.

I'd say western MT is going off right now! Although, I'm using that euphemism the British way.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Mt Bachelor - Oregon.

Lots of great snow and nearly a dozen bluebird days.