Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Don't ever use a medicine ball or physioball for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Huh? Why? Medicine balls and physioballs are great for explosive exercises, especially in rotation exercises. What's wrong with throwing balls around.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Can you elaborate? I have not heard this and in fact only the opposite.

I use the two for different core/balance exercises as well as knee and shoulder health. At the very least, they work well for me when warming up.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

Sorry, I misspoke on medicine balls (was thinking the large rubber balls). Medicine balls are in fact great for lifting and throwing things around. I wouldn't mess with physioballs, but I am generally a purist when it comes to working out (don't use machines, only racks, barbells, KBs, dumbbells, etc.)

I think you can replicate any core or balance exercise without the danger of isolating muscles on a physioball.

I think you can replicate any core or balance exercise without the danger of isolating muscles on a physioball.
    What is this danger you speak of? I have had killer results with them. I still do. Different strokes, or??

I hear they may not be good for ball sports players; primarily b/c they play on a static surface? My workout buddy mentioned this to me about a year ago and said she found it to not be true with her clients at the x-fit studio. One study...hardly conclusive.

MTBing and skiing require hella balance and with the 2 you have an object between you and the surface. Much like a physio n'shit. They isolate the little guys that are not only important for stability but for joint health as well. I do not see it as a substitute for the bike or other core exercises but primarily for for the PT aspect of gym training.

Maybe you have had different results?

Physioball exercises equal little bang for you buck or minimal gains for too much time spent. Unless your training for a Cirque du Soleil act, don't spend too much time with them. Whenever you are doing some kind of weight bearing exercise on an unstable surface, you are unable to go as heavy as you would on a stable surface and thus not loading the muscles to their potential. Lunges through different planes, loading one side, weight overhead, etc. will offer more benefit by both working the stabilizing muscles and the muscles getting loaded to their potential.

Unstable surface training was popular with elite athletes in the 90s but have been proven to show little results and too much time taken away from the actually beneficial exercises, again too much time spent for little benefit. py personal trainers like them to "entertain" their clients but it really is mostly fluff.

Interesting. I use my physioball daily for back extension, situps, leg lifts, planks, standing on, etc. I find that having to balance makes things more difficult and thus more mentally engaging. I actually don't use it a lot at the gym, but instead in my living room and for short mental breaks while working and in the evenings. Certainly I do less weight that way, but my coordination and balance has undoubtedly improved, and at least for where I ride, that's as important as power and endurance.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Only had time for one trip to the gym last week. Heading there now.

I did a little over an hour. 15 elliptical warmup > 30 mins of leg presses, curls, db shoulder presses, chest press, tri pull downs, lat pull downs > 15 on bike > stretch

Still dont know what to do really. I def want to work in more free weight stuff and less machine. More core work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Only had time for one trip to the gym last week. Heading there now.

I did a little over an hour. 15 elliptical warmup > 30 mins of leg presses, curls, db shoulder presses, chest press, tri pull downs, lat pull downs > 15 on bike > stretch

Still dont know what to do really. I def want to work in more free weight stuff and less machine. More core work as well.
    Spend the 40 bucks or whatever to buy that 12 week program from the link Particle posted. You'll get so much better results from focused training than just going to the gym doing random exercises.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yup, pulled the trigger on the bikejames 12wk dumbell strength training course. Did my first workout today. This is the kinda core work I was looking for.

Whiteroom: when I lived in that area I raced in this series http://www.masuperseries.com/ it's grown and changed since I left but it might be a good alternative to mix it up. Sorry no help with training...I just ride my bike.
    Life is all about ass...either you are covering it,
    kicking it, hauling it, kissing it, or trying to get it.

Anyone have specific experience with the different bikejames workouts? I'd like something easy to do at home after the kid goes to bed, the body weight or kettle ball ones look perfect, just nit sure between those two.

Sent from my HTC One X using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    On a related note, with some of the really long days in the saddle with enduros, I really started to hurt last year and dealt with cramping, and just general physical suckage. Any recs for building that endurance to deal with all-day enduros, etc? I was solid with the shorter races, but anything over an hour and I was in the pain cave.
    LSD... It takes time, lot's of time to build endurance. But the good thing is that you don't particularly have to suffer, you just have to get time in the saddle. 4 hours easy cruising around and having fun is much better than hammering for a couple hours. We'll all love to be able to have a life in which you could ride 10-15hrs a week, but that's not realistic for most of us. But working in one really long ride ( 3+ hrs ) at least every other week will go a long ways to building endurance.

You have to start this fairly far out from the racing season and give yourself time to recover between rides. Learning to what/how to eat and drink on a longer ride is also part of it. My rule of thumb is that you can ride up to 2+ hrs on just water, but longer than that and you need to have a plan around nutrition. It doesn't have to be super complex or have the latest and greatest sports drink/tab/gels... but it has to have some carbs, some electrolytes and your stomach needs to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by bbense View Post
    We'll all love to be able to have a life in which you could ride 10-15hrs a week, but that's not realistic for most of us. But working in one really long ride ( 3+ hrs ) at least every other week will go a long ways to building endurance.
    Just get up really early. I ride an hour everyday at 6am and around three hours most weekend days. I go to the gym to work on all the other stuff.
    But I also don't make it past 10pm very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Just get up really early. I ride an hour everyday at 6am and around three hours most weekend days. I go to the gym to work on all the other stuff.
    But I also don't make it past 10pm very often.
    Good 'tude! I agree. Shit, I only work a fulltime job and have myself to worry about so it is pretty easy to get all the riding I want, plus the necessary therapy. The crux used to be me doing PT to treat my shoulder and knee, cuz I was lazy! Still a little lazy but am in the gym most mornings at 6 cuz I like riding!!

This thread has piqued my interest in a program specific training routine. I usually work out just so I can continue to ride/ski/climb but shit, since I am already at the gym I might try a bikejames gig for funness n'shit.

Quote Originally Posted by CDubz View Post
    Anyone have specific experience with the different bikejames workouts? I'd like something easy to do at home after the kid goes to bed, the body weight or kettle ball ones look perfect, just nit sure between those two.
    I did the DB Combos two seasons ago with good results. Doing it again now... easy to do at home with limited time, which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by bbense View Post
    LSD... It takes time, lot's of time to build endurance. But the good thing is that you don't particularly have to suffer, you just have to get time in the saddle. 4 hours easy cruising around and having fun is much better than hammering for a couple hours. We'll all love to be able to have a life in which you could ride 10-15hrs a week, but that's not realistic for most of us. But working in one really long ride ( 3+ hrs ) at least every other week will go a long ways to building endurance.

You have to start this fairly far out from the racing season and give yourself time to recover between rides. Learning to what/how to eat and drink on a longer ride is also part of it. My rule of thumb is that you can ride up to 2+ hrs on just water, but longer than that and you need to have a plan around nutrition. It doesn't have to be super complex or have the latest and greatest sports drink/tab/gels... but it has to have some carbs, some electrolytes and your stomach needs to like it.
    Thanks man, good stuff. I think gel packet taped to the top tube will be SOP for me this season on longer races. Long training rides are going to be tough, especially since road riding scares the crap out of me. But a good thing to shoot for. And I don't do early mornings, unless it's to ski pow.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Yoga. It improves core strength, breathing, balance, alignment and all sort of good stuff. Depending on your other regime, you could focus on Iyengar (very strong on alignment and posture to avoid injury), astangha (totally aggro and actually pretty easy to get injured if you do it wrong) or Bikram (sweat-O-rama).

These are all variations on hatha yoga, a variety of poses to strengthen the body and an excellent counterpoint to all the other types of exercise you do.

Last thought -- yoga babes. N'uff said.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Yoga. It improves core strength, breathing, balance, alignment and all sort of good stuff. Depending on your other regime, you could focus on Iyengar (very strong on alignment and posture to avoid injury), astangha (totally aggro and actually pretty easy to get injured if you do it wrong) or Bikram (sweat-O-rama).

These are all variations on hatha yoga, a variety of poses to strengthen the body and an excellent counterpoint to all the other types of exercise you do.

Last thought -- yoga babes. N'uff said.
    Hard to hurt yourself in Ashtanga if you listen to your body and teacher if available...SLC mags will find great teachers and variety at CCY at 9th/9th...[and requisite yoga babes, naturally]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'm in the same boat as OP, trying to figure out a good and efficient training regiment to get strong for bike season and general well-being. Anyone have any recommendations on a yoga studio in central Denver? I'm a complete newb and don't really know what attributes make for a good experience, but I think it could be a good way to go if I find the right teacher etc.

also, many sorries for jacking the thread.

This guy just opened a studio in Denver. I heard it's quite popular with the ladies.

That is exactly how I envision my role. And also my outfit. Thanks.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

I support the yoga. Sweaty wet Babes for sure, and since cycling is such a repetitive motion it is incredibly beneficial for loosening and opening up tight hips, it bands, hams, etc. Great for core and general balance.

Pilates for hotties and more intense focused core work than yoga.

Weightroom wise, you don't want excess mass in bike racing, quite the contrary. However I have increased my power and mostly comfort on the bike by focusing on lower back strengthening/lengthening exercises. Back extension on roman chair, light sldls all with light weight and high reps. Also, upper back strength has been huge, allows you to ride without getting fatigued or sore as quickly and in mtb you can generate more power by pulling down and back on the bars, opening up the chest as well for better bike posture and breathing. I like pulling motions like cable rows with flat bar, mimics handlebar! Also pull ups, lat pull downs.

Nothing is better training for riding than just riding and being healthy as possible. Just ride your bike more often and harder! Ride for fun, and listen to your body and soul.

Long winded, hope that helps...

Sent from my HTC One X using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dorikin69 View Post
    Weightroom wise, you don't want excess mass in bike racing...all with light weight and high reps
    Although it's counterintuitive, higher weight/lower rep (5 reps or less per set) work is actually less hypertrophic than lower weight/higher rep, and the size you do gain tends to be myofibril (useful and long-lasting) rather than sarcoplasmic (far less useful and easily lost). Check out the Olympic weightlifting and powelifting world records for the lightest weight classes in the links below. Guys who weigh <123 lbs have squatted over 600 lbs and C&J'ed almost 370 lbs. It's a fallacy that being strong requires being massively jacked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._weightlifting
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/fil...M-12-26-12.pdf
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/fil...W-12-26-12.pdf