Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Gym training for MTB racing?

I plan to do 4-6 races this spring and summer starting in late March. I just joined a gym for the first time in 10 years. I plan to be on my bike (mtb and road) at least 6 hours per week, but with work it will be easier to hit the gym most days.

Where can I find a good workout regimen to increase strength, endurance, cardio, etc.

Basically, I am a complete gym noob and don't want to start out too hard and wreck my muscles, etc. Not looking to build mass, more looking to lose my little beer gut that just won't die with diet and bike riding alone.

I don't do much gym stuff, but I know that pinkbike has had a few personal trainers come up with bike workouts.

search through these a bit

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/health-fitness/

overall anything that helps with cardio will be beneficial, as will working core and legs

Gyms are where you go to meet, or just stare at, hot ass.

I ride with a guy that wears an oxygen restrictor while doing his routine. Too hard core for me.

I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

There was an article with some videos of workouts to do in the off season on pinkbike not to long ago.

WG- you racing the enduros in the area?
    "The riding never stops" Craig Kelly

I don't have a set schedule of races yet. I think I will check out some short track races in the spring, whatever else in the 20ish mile range in NJ/PA, Mooch Madness again (it was 26 miles last summer and I finished 7th in the sport category with no training. They are supposedly doing 50 miles this year , and the Mountain Creek enduro.

I mean, I basically have an enduro bike anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    this. x1000. it's a very good resource.

some quick thoughts:
    1. when starting out, focus on form. don't increase your weight unless you did it with perfect form. this will keep you healthy.
    2. see 1.
    3. squats, and deadlifts.
    4. turkish get ups = best core exercise ever (see bikejames.com)
    5. intervals -- does your gym have spin bikes?
    6. don't worry about bulking up. seriously. you will need to both lift a lot and eat a lot in order to get hudge.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

I have a book that I used to help me format a gym routine when I was racing DH. Good book with good exercises and sample routines, "Weight Training for Cyclists"

Pay for shipping and it's yours
    "Right after you finish pointing it and you get up about 30 miles an hour and your skis plane out on top and you start to accelerate and you know you can start turning in powder. Thats the moment." - R.I.P. Shane

There should be a pretty decent enduro circuit in Pa/NJ this year. I did the race at salisbury last year. I think total length was only 9-10 miles but it was fun. I hate pounding out miles and would rather run quick sprints on fun sections of trail so it suites me well. They had a race a Allemuchy or whatever it's called as well.

Check out Mountain Athlete's website. Over a dozen free workouts, not bike specific but awesome general fitness.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Check out Mountain Athlete's website. Over a dozen free workouts, not bike specific but awesome general fitness.
    MA knows their shit and has a very very impressive video library for learning on the site.

Don't be afraid to go low reps on the leg lifting (start high 8-10 and work your way down). Your biking and conditioning will take care of the endurance part. Use weights to build your power production and conditioning to make it last.

Do single leg excercises, rfess, lunges, single leg squats, sldl, etc. Do lots of glute work. Search Bret Contreras. Start every workout with glute activation exercises.

Log your weights and reps and don't rocket up in weights.

Do intervals at the end of every workout.

Don't worry about bulking up. It won't happen. For reals.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

I raced for ten years and used and used a very good coach for two years. The only thing the gym was good for is core work. A strong core goes a long way on the bike and get a road bike and do as much LSD (long slow distance) as much as you can handle ( its fucked to watch the group ride away because you have to keep your heart rate down) that's the only way to build endurance. Base miles in winter and tune up races in the spring gets you in shape.
    Sometimes you just don't have enough middle fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    X another 1000.

There are gobs of information and workouts on this site.

Bike James or Mountain Athlete
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Damn....there is so many different exercises that I don't even know where to start.

$60 really worth it for an 8-week MTB specific course from MA?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Damn....there is so many different exercises that I don't even know where to start.

$60 really worth it for an 8-week MTB specific course from MA?
    Dunno. I really like MA's philosophy regarding periodization, hypertrophy and single leg exercises. The Endurance MTN biking program is a big commitment with 4 gym days and five days on the bike. I know with my work schedule, I could never do that, so I am scaling back a bit, but getting the generalities incorporated into my regime. You can get a lot of the same from Bike James, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Oh shit. No way I can get 4 days in the GYM and 5 on the bike. Looking like 2 gym, 2 bike max.

I am hitting the gym today after work and if I feel totally insane I will do a long road ride tomorrow in the freezing cold.

On a related note, with some of the really long days in the saddle with enduros, I really started to hurt last year and dealt with cramping, and just general physical suckage. Any recs for building that endurance to deal with all-day enduros, etc? I was solid with the shorter races, but anything over an hour and I was in the pain cave.

Just to offer a viable alternative:

drink more beer, have more fun.

Kind of an incoherent rambling interview but there are some nuggs in here from Cruz and Weir:
    http://www.privateer.cc/2012/03/mark...tness-for.html

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Oh there is always plenty of beer involved, not to worry.

Make that a bumper sticker, I'll buy one.

Just to offer a viable alternative:

Thats how I feel. I'll do a few races but normally most of my friends are also entered and it's more of a friendly competition. To be competitive requires more time then I have to commit.

intervals are one of the best ways to build endurance. Single leg squats and jumps will help balance, coordination, and strength. Deadlifts build the posterior chain for postural strength, rotation and anti-rotational exercises will improve your riding and your skiing (I use the rope machine for these). Use medicine balls and physioballs for balance and core strength. Above all, focus on form over weight, and use freeweights instead of the machines (exception: the rope machines). Machines that isolate muscles are useless for

I haven't seen the MA workout, but $60 could also buy you some good functional training books by Mike Boyle or Grey Cook (Functional Training for Sports & Athletic Body in Balance- look on Amazon). Then you could put together any range of workouts for yourself. I use these extensively and they have enough material in them that I never get bored in the gym.