Vail Ski Patrol Avalanche Awareness - 1/9/13 6.30pm

At Cascade Resort (just west of Lionshead village). 6.30-9.00pm on Wednesday evening.

They are really trying to make some steps to educate and enlighten a community that is involved in a really tough discussion on avalanche safety.

Plus there is free shit

Kudos to VPSP
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Is this in response to that kid who died on Prima Cornice last year?

Quote Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
    Is this in response to that kid who died on Prima Cornice last year?
    You will notice a lot of ski patrols offering things like this as more and more people exit the ski area to the backcountry. VSP is not the first and won't be the last moving in this direction. They want people to be safe and education is a good start to that.

Correct. I don't think it is in direct response, but they are definitely taking more of an active stance on avy safety this season. It is scary to see how many inbounds slides have happened this season at Vail, and with our terrain not being nearly as steep as a lot of resorts around I can only imagine how Some of your other resorts are holding up.

The first session was very insightful and I think this one will be too. Plus they will go out partying afterwards and those guys know how to throw down!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using TGR Forums

I read through the documents from the lawsuit his parents have filed against Vail Associates. It's definitely a good thing that VSP and others are increasing awareness.

Also - GoldenBear, were you at the Wildy gear swap? If so, our booth was right next to yours and I bought straps from you.

Friend of mine came into this drunk and she ripped into em for not talking about the current avalanche dangers and instead just spewing a bunch of scare tactic stories both inbounds and outbounds. This is basically for people that don't really even know avalanches exist - you know, like all the elderly socialites that had showed up just so they could be seen. All second hand, of course, as I figured thats what this would be - didn't bother.

It has potential, but as of now, I've heard this series is kind of a joke and came off as an ass-covering manuever dictated down by corporate who are dealing with the prima cornice lawsuit. There was essentially no discussion on current goings-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Slurr P View Post
    It is scary to see how many inbounds slides have happened this season at Vail,
    More info please. Hadn't heard about any inbounds this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Friend of mine came into this drunk and she ripped into em for not talking about the current avalanche dangers and instead just spewing a bunch of scare tactic stories both inbounds and outbounds. This is basically for people that don't really even know avalanches exist
    I wasn't there, but awareness seminars are somewhat about putting fear and respect into attendees. 2 hours isn't enough time to supply enough understanding of avalanches and decision making processes, not to mention the lack of field time to hone observations. Awareness classes are about quickly educating the public about the importance of BC equipment, recognizing and avoiding avalanche hazards, the red flags, the consequences of avalanches, the importance of more education, etc.

AAA's content recommendation for a 1-2 hour awareness lecture:
    Quote Originally Posted by American Avalanche Association
    General information about avalanche hazard, how to avoid it, and proper equipment for traveling in avalanche terrain.
    What I hate is L1 instructors who think that a Level 1 is about scaring their students out of the BC.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Scare tactics perhaps, but I thought the flight-for-life guy's presentation was very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Friend of mine came into this drunk and she ripped into em for not talking about the current avalanche dangers and instead just spewing a bunch of scare tactic stories both inbounds and outbounds. This is basically for people that don't really even know avalanches exist - you know, like all the elderly socialites that had showed up just so they could be seen. All second hand, of course, as I figured thats what this would be - didn't bother.

It has potential, but as of now, I've heard this series is kind of a joke and came off as an ass-covering manuever dictated down by corporate who are dealing with the prima cornice lawsuit. There was essentially no discussion on current goings-on.
    Would this be the somewhat coherent girl who spoke up just before half-time? I applaud her efforts but I would not say she "ripped into em" by any means, clearly on something though. CAIC puts out a fairly detailed daily report of conditions on all aspects and elevations.

If VSP wants to make the punters more aware of BC conditions, VR could give them some of the $500,000 they make on Hot Coco every season for some plastic rosette signs that match CAIC's and post one at the 4 gates at Vail with a " todays conditons" sign and a " DO NOT GO THOUGH THIS GATE WITHOUT TRAINED PARTNERS AND PROPER GEAR" sign. The current warning sign does not deter anyone... Could help in safety and litigation.

Signage is of course not the only answer but may make a few fools turn back. At the bottom is a shot from last winter I took from the boot pack of a few post-holing kids with no packs that had no clue where they were heading...did not even think to hike up an established trail. Were they ever seen again?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2760.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	580.6 KB 
ID:	130816

The EV signage has gotten better this year. In addition to more signage, they have a beacon checker that buzzes at you and they post the CAIC report daily. Not sure what the other gates look like, but probably not as good. Idiots will continue to ignore signage though - that'll never change.

Yes, and people will enter through open gates and hike to closed areas, you can't stop stupid. I still rember the story I heard at vendetas about some guy in easy vail skiing by himself last year that was buried up to his neck and all you could see was his hat. I'm not sure why anyone would have wanted to hit east vail last season or this season for that matter. Ullar is screwing us!

Also I was out in petes bowl and it looked like the patrol or someone used explosives to trigger a slide right before the hike opens up at the end on the steep shaddy face which I do not know the name of. Kinda hard to trigger a slide when there is only a 16inch base although I'm scared to go in the BC once again this season.

Colorado season clips 10-11, best season ever!

G.N.A.R the movie, complete movie. Watch this!
    http://unofficialnetworks.com/gnar/

Vail best day ever 18inches

Shane McConkey is the shit! First chair?

Quote Originally Posted by bertrenolds View Post
    Also I was out in petes bowl and it looked like the patrol or someone used explosives to trigger a slide right before the hike opens up at the end on the steep shaddy face which I do not know the name of. Kinda hard to trigger a slide when there is only a 16inch base although I'm scared to go in the BC once again this season.
    They bombed that last year too. Got a pretty decent sized slide to go. Lots of hangfire.

I get the feeling that its not uncommon for them to control that face. As you say, steep, shady and lots of baseball bats if you get caught. Plus its in a good location for everyone to see before you even get to blue sky.

We use areas out that way to look at the snowpack to get an idea about what we might find further out in EV. Less snow, but gives you an idea before comitting to a good distance.

This series is for education first and foremost. Not corporate covering anything up. This was done by vail and beaver creek ski patrols to help educate all levels of people in the backcountry community of eagle valley. Don't know why everyone is hating and speculating that did not even attend. And I found both classes to be informative and entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by hittinbeav View Post
    This series is for education first and foremost. Not corporate covering anything up. This was done by vail and beaver creek ski patrols to help educate all levels of people in the backcountry community of eagle valley. Don't know why everyone is hating and speculating that did not even attend. And I found both classes to be informative and entertaining
    If they're not teaching you how to ski slopes you know will slide and ski out of them in the sidecountry they are doing the community a disservice. This is TGR brah. Core as shit brah.