Lil' motion graphics video I made

Myself and an art director were tasked with creating a video for a coming awards event called "50 on Fire" held by BostInno. Design brief was handed to us at 10AM and the video was due the following day at 1PM. Super quick turnaround, late night, but it was fun and thought I would share.

Looks best on vimeo in HD. Hope you enjoy it.

http://bostinno.com/all-series/annou...os-50-on-fire/
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I like it, quick and to the point.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Wicked good work, dude.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

wow, nice job

Thanks guise!

How long would it take an inept putz like me to learn to make something like that?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

you need the imovie pro edition to do stuff like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    How long would it take an inept putz like me to learn to make something like that?
    It all depends. The basic things like keyframing movement of text wouldn't take more than learning a couple basic After Effects tutorials. The more advanced stuff like the flying birds and cracking background will take more accumulation of skills combined. That's kind of the thing, nothing there was really "hard" per se, it was more about understanding concepts and how they work best and with each other.

For example, the bouncing question mark. Anyone with a tutorial can keyframe a rotation of the z-axis to make it rotate, but knowing where to split the layer and move the anchor point and when/where to precomp something, yada, yada, yada. You basically acquire things as you go and this is actually a very, very basic project.

You could take a look at http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/...after-eff.html and see if it's a can of worms you even want to open. There are tons of tutorials online but I preferred learning the basics from a book originally. Now, when I need to know something I search and find a certain technique online. If you go the book route, the first two books on this link are by far the best to get you going... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=after+effects

I only had two classes on motion graphics in college, and that was the basics. Then, I taught myself on the job. Someone asks if you can do something and you say yes... then you figure out how to do it.

I can't talk to the "design" aesthetic you must have or learn because you may already have that. This is more about the tech of making something do something.

Great Job!
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Looks great! Being a slow reader, some of the text was a little fast for me which gave me a frustrated feeling. Fun and creative embellishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Great Job!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    Looks great! Being a slow reader, some of the text was a little fast for me which gave me a frustrated feeling. Fun and creative embellishments.
    Thanks. I had some issues with that has well. The beginning cloud scene went with the song and was 8 seconds to bring it in slow to build. The client said her ADD was kicking in and it needed to be faster. Everything needed to be faster. So I cut everything down timewise. The cloud scene alone went from 8 seconds down to 4 seconds. Nothing was fast enough for her. The words at the end that pull from the center and go from white to red after a new word comes in go way too fast in my opinion. I kind of wasn't happy about that choice, but it's her video. I just had to make it.

Oh well.