Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I ski 190 bibbys. This year I picked up some 192 carbon GPOs. I'd recommend the 187 carbon GPOs or 186 voile v8s which I also own. The v8s really surprised me as far as being a lot more than just a soft snow touring ski. I've skied them in bounds in less than ideal conditions and could be comfortable riding them all day, which was a HUGE surprise to me. The gpos have been WAY better than expected on hard pack and are everything you'd expect in soft.

I have the 186 billy goat tour as my soft snow touring ski, I used to tour on the 190 bibby pros. I absolutely love the BG tour as a touring ski, but would not want to ski it in bounds (I assume this is what you mean by all mountain ski). It doesn't have the beef underfoot to charge in less than ideal snow, it is a bit of a rounder flex than the standard layup. Someone who doesn't weigh much or is smoother on their feet may find it to be a great storm day inbounds ski though.

The bibby definitely charges harder than the BG tour and has a bit more of a locked in feeling on hardpack than all the versions of the billy goat I've tried.

Protest Backcountry might be the ticket
    Sent from my SM-N900T using TGR Forums

This is how you know you can't go wrong with choosing a particular ski: is when its name comes up in every conversation. The 187 GPO seems to be a lot of people's favorite. Suprechicken also keeps telling me to get them. I think that ski in carbon layup might be a bit stiffer than the BG in tour layup which that type of flex is important to me. I have the 186 BG standard and it's a great ski but the fact that its tour layup is bit of rounder flex which in my opinion in other words means softer, make me wanna go with something else...
    I think I'm either gonna go with the Wootest or the GPO. Most likely GPO
    Sent from my SM-N900T using TGR Forums

So im a short guy..5'6" 135 and got the 174. Absolutely LOVE em. theyre mounted +1 from rec since I was dumb and didnt realize the smaller amount of tail rocker. Im going to keep them like this at least for this year. Do yall recommend moving them back? I want keep them pivoty and some charge

Sent from my SM-G730V using TGR Forums

Per Blister's FB page, Bibby's pro model reportedly will revert back to the dimensions of the 10/11, 11/12, 12/13 Bibby. Not sure if that includes the construction (same core, etc.), but fkna the shiiiiiiit is back!! https://www.facebook.com/BlisterGear...type=1&theater

^ This is correct. Back to the old, trusted and awesome shape but now with semi-cap construction. For the rest the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    I joined this club in the 190 length earlier this season and agree with everything positive I have ever read about this ski. The combination of charge/pop/float/smear/rail/destroy/stomp/pivot that they offer continues to make me laugh out loud. Well worth the price of admission!
    This.

I joined the club for this 14/15 season. it is absolutely ridiculous as to what these things are capable of doing. in fact, as super shitty and non-existent as winter has been up here at snowbird this year, just the mere opportunity of stepping into a pair and "charging/popping/floating/smearing/railing/destroying/stomping/pivoting" these boards all over the mountain has honestly made this one of the more enjoyable seasons I've had in a while.

@ post #64
    Sounds like Dkla52 has experience moving the 190 Bibby mount forward. Anyone else do this? I have mine on the line and I dig it, but feel like +0.5 or +1 might make it a bit more pivoty and balanced which I like. However I imagine this will retract from the pow performance and may cause a little tip dive. I'm splitting hairs here as I like the factory like line. Not sure I want to redrill +0.5 or if thats too small for a remount. Wondering if its worth it.

Any further input would be greatly appreciated.
    for anyone else with similar questions/concerns. I have them mounted @ ~0.7cm (vs -2.5cm) due to hole conflict. Not having skiied these sticks @ neutral yet, I think I understand what Dkla52 is getting at with his comment of being "loose, more pivoty, balanced." However, i will state that pow performance has indeed suffered a little bit.. tip dive, keep them big toes pointed up. i should note that I am of larger stature, coming in at 6'2.5" and 208# (~220# geared up) as opposed to the average mag coming in below 200#. so YMMV. new boots i'll be picking up soon will put my stance back to the factory rec line.

Stoked that Moment has them back in production.
    Last edited by Run Silent Run Deep; 01-30-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
    ^ This is correct. Back to the old, trusted and awesome shape but now with semi-cap construction. For the rest the same.
    Semi-cap? Why make that move? Is semi-cap a cap overlaying sidewall construction, or tips/tails with cap?

Lambert, does the following description square with Moment's approach? http://www.newschoolers.com/forum/th...l-Construction

Sorry for all the questions, but damn I love dem Bibbys!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Semi-cap? Why make that move? Is semi-cap a cap overlaying sidewall construction, or tips/tails with cap?

Lambert, does the following description square with Moment's approach? http://www.newschoolers.com/forum/th...l-Construction

Sorry for all the questions, but damn I love dem Bibbys!
    I think it's just to prevent chipping on the topsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrider83 View Post
    I think it's just to prevent chipping on the topsheet.
    It is.. You will not notice the difference while skiing.. Flex etc all is the same..

I bought a pair of 190cm 2017 Cy Whittling Edition Bibby / Blister Pros for the coming season and I'm stoked to try them, but trying to decide if I should mount my boot center on the line or behind the line.

I've read a couple reports from people mounting in front of the recommended line, but nothing from people behind the line.

I'm 6' 5" tall and 195lbs, I wear a Mondo 28.5 boot, 325mm BSL. I rarely ski switch and I am comfortable skiing centered or driving the shovels depending on the ski's personality.

I'm debating between mounting at the recommended line (-6cm from true center) or moving back to -6.5cm from true center.

Any comments from people who have played around with different mount points on this ski? I'm guessing people will say "big sweet spot, doesn't matter" and I'll just mount on the line and go skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayCole View Post
    ...Any comments from people who have played around with different mount points on this ski? ...
    Hopefully other people will chime in, too. Here's just one data point for you.

My used 190's had existing holes/inserts from previous owners that I could re-use at -6.3cm or -5.0cm. I chose to mount at -6.3cm. The skis worked fine for me (215 lbs, 6'2", BSL=314mm), no real complaints at -6.3cm. But there were a few situations when the rear-half edges would wash out while the front-half edge held just fine. So, I plan to move my bindings to the -5.0cm holes, and I forecast that I will prefer a more symmetric edge hold at -5.0cm instead of -6.3cm. We'll see for sure after the snow arrives and I test them again.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by ClayCole View Post
    I'm guessing people will say "big sweet spot, doesn't matter" and I'll just mount on the line and go skiing.
    Pretty much, yup. Mine are on the line and I can't honestly see moving the mount back -0.5 making much difference. At your height/skiing style I'd consider trying -1 if you're going to mess with it. I'm shorter and lighter than you and don't ski switch much either. I can't say I've ever wanted to be further forward and would very occasionally like to be able to drive the tips harder in windpress and other funky snow so I have wondered about a more rearward mount. I'm coming to the conclusion that I might just prefer a more directional ski in these conditions though, so I'm not messing with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkla52 View Post
    This is how you know you can't go wrong with choosing a particular ski: is when its name comes up in every conversation.
    In that case you should probably get the RX...

I've had 190's and have 184's both mounted on the line and I don't ski in reverse.

I ski in the PNW where a deep and big crud day ski needs to get through some moisture rich "powder" so maybe the demands on this ski to keep the tips up are a bit more here than in places with real powder?

Anyway, point is, I have never, ever wanted more tip, and that is skiing them where I do. And that's a whole lotta tail sticking in the air so don't think you are gaining anything by going back. My guess is going back on these from the -6 on the 190's is only negative. Half a cm doesn't count.

Sounds good, I'll mount on the line (-6 from true center).

The only reason I'm asking is because I mounted my Blizzard Cochise 193's at +1 to see what all the fuss is about with people mounting forward, and I don't particularly like them. I don't know if it's the skis or the mount point or both. I'm thinking more the skis than the mount point.

I have a pair of 190s with a few hundred days that have been mounted on the line, plus 2, and minus two (the skis are much more durable than the binders I have screwed on). I would agree with JS that there is no reason to go back. I feel you are not skiing switch put them on the line and enjoy.

I had given my pair of 190's to a 'friend' years ago, and he stole them. This summer, I got some 2010's in a trade from a fellow mag. Rose had 3' of fresh on saturday, and everything but the chutes was open.

I feel like I had never taken these off my feet, though I hadn't ridden them in five years. After spending last year on deathwishes for junk days inbounds, it was a small taste of paradise to get these things back on my feet. They just gobble up chopped up pow. They make the shitty section at the end of your favorite pow stash where you're cutting over through everyone's tracks fun. I cannot believe I had spent 5 years without replacing these, they are truly the greatest ski for what I do (aggressive skiing in maritime snowpack). Manageable, very tame, won't overpower you, but you're unlikely to find a speed limit, either. Thank you, Moment staff of 2009-10 for making my Saturday (and likely season)

Hail the governor!! Finally got to ski themClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180110_193239.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	221164

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    The combination of charge/pop/float/smear/rail/destroy/stomp/pivot that they offer continues to make me laugh out loud. Well worth the price of admission!
    What skis like a 190 Bibby in the ^^^^ above ways, but is fully rockered? 193 Bodacious? 196 Renegade? 187 Meridian 117s (seems short)?

I love my Bibby in Tahoe/CA resort pow, chop, crud, and hardpack. But looking for a faster feel in pow, while maintaining a stiff forebody that won't fold up in maritime cream or chud.
    sproing!

Depending on ur height, you should try the Billy goat either in 186 or 191

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app

Haven't skied the Bodacious, but the 196 Renegade might be a good choice if you want chargier than the Bibby with full rocker and still a pretty progressive mount. The Billy Goat is a totally different (but awesome) ski, in that it's a pintail with a more traditional mount than the Bibby.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    What skis like a 190 Bibby in the ^^^^ above ways, but is fully rockered? 193 Bodacious? 196 Renegade? 187 Meridian 117s (seems short)?

I love my Bibby in Tahoe/CA resort pow, chop, crud, and hardpack. But looking for a faster feel in pow, while maintaining a stiff forebody that won't fold up in maritime cream or chud.
    If you aren't set on fully rockered you might want to see if you can get on a Protest. The 187 doesn't blast crud and chop quite as well as the 190 Bibby (IMO -YMMV of course) and it's obviously not as good on hardpack, but it's noticeably better in pow in that the tips don't hang up, it's easier to pivot/slash and it floats more, so you stay higher in the snow and maintain speed easier. Definitely a quiver ski in that you won't want to ski it everyday like you can get away with on the Bibby, but it'll reward you on the big days. I'd look at the 192 if I was buying new. Where you end up sorta depends if you're keeping the Bibby I guess. If you are I'd go more pow-specific and continue to use the Bibby for the so-so days where its pow performance doesn't come into the equation. If you replace the Bibby and manage to find something that does everything else as well but performs better in pow let the collective know what sort of unicorn you managed to capture. As others suggested, Billy Goat is a likely contender if you aren't attached to the more progressive mount of the Bibby. I tour on Steeple 108s and have been really impressed by their overall performance. Much closer to Bibby performance than the Deathwish 190s I was on previously. BGs with alpine boots and clamps would be that much better.

Did someone say ProTest?

Go with that!