Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Very sad, prayers to the family and everyone involved.

spook Guest
    probably a stupid question, but is there any significance to what looks like a deeper release? (sorry, i don't know proper term)/bed? could the whole thing have been much larger?

or is the larger area something that slid previously and the smaller area what slid this time?

It was a classic step down.

spook Guest
    thanks...

Sounds like his friends had him out quickly, but he was gone. Maybe trauma was fatal?

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2...ntProfile=1055

It started as a shallow slide.

Only approximately 8-10 inches deep, according to experts who are assembling a report on the avalanche near Marble that killed Frisco resident James Lindenblatt Sunday afternoon.

But further down the slope, the avalanche stepped down into a deeper weak layer of that gave way. Lindenblatt, 37, was knocked off his feet and moments later buried 3 feet deep in snow.

Two friends who had skied the pitch above Raspberry Creek ahead of Lindenblatt watched him get swept up by the slide. They immediately followed, armed with beacons and shovels.

With the help of the tools, they located and were able to pull Lindenblatt from the snow within minutes, but it was too late.

“It was almost an immediate response,” said the Colorado Avalanche Information Center's Brian McCall, who is investigating the incident. “He did not have a pulse and he was not breathing when they did uncover him.”

The two friends began CPR, while a third person skiing with the group skinned back up the slope to go for help.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    probably a stupid question, but is there any significance to what looks like a deeper release? (sorry, i don't know proper term)/bed? could the whole thing have been much larger?

or is the larger area something that slid previously and the smaller area what slid this time?
    It looks like he triggered the larger area(but shallower) slab at the top probably because he got into a bit more windloaded section near the edge of the gully(which based on the tracks, it seems the others didn't hit/trigger). This slab's release(and it's weight) caused a step-down avalanche on the deeper weak layer on the ground.
    I'd rather be wresting pebbles...

Vibes to everyone in Colorado. Whats the weather and more important temperatures been like in the week leading up to this sad event?

I thought we normally waited till spring to ride lines like that in Colorado? Have things changed

^^ it appears that depth hoar underlies much of the snowpack in the intermountain west.

Bummer. Haven't been in touch with too many Summit peeps for a while, but I did some mountain biking with him a long ways back, good dude. RIP brother.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    Vibes to everyone in Colorado. Whats the weather and more important temperatures been like in the week leading up to this sad event?

I thought we normally waited till spring to ride lines like that in Colorado? Have things changed
    arctic cold. And while you're right, I believe the avy forecast was moderate at all aspects/elevation (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so I can certainly see how some might have ventured into lines that are normally off-limits in mid-winter.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    arctic cold. And while you're right, I believe the avy forecast was moderate at all aspects/elevation (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so I can certainly see how some might have ventured into lines that are normally off-limits in mid-winter.
    why would that be normally "off limits" in mid-winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Suncloud View Post
    why would that be normally "off limits" in mid-winter?
    Maybe something to do with the 40 degree gully their line runs down? Looks risky without the right conditions in my opinion ... But I'm not saying I know enough about the conditions at the time of the slide.

edit - not the time or place. my bad
    Last edited by Cosmic Suncloud; 01-16-2013 at 08:12 PM.

vibes+++
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

My condolences to the friends and family of the victim.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein