Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I want a binder that's as bulletproof as my turntables, as elastic, reasonably lightweight, flat ramp, just as capable ripping down icy groomers with the kids but can still tour. A quiver binder, that i can take travelling without incurring excess weight penalties.
    $1,000 is steep but I would pay if this is what we get......

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    for a beta tester you don't just need a fat kid, you need somebody who fucks up everything they touch some people are good at this and its not just weight
    that would be me
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    +1 QFT.
    I don't think even 95% of TGR gear queers want that much less "actual tech binding users" whatever the fuck that means

It means people who already embrace the tech binding for what it is, not what it was never meant to be.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Have at it though, I just don't understand why someone would pay a grand to lug an 1800 gram tech binding uphill when the only real advantage of tech bindings in the first place was it's light weight. Just not feeling the love from the product developers, wish there was as much emphasis on refining, reinforcing, and simplifying the Radical design. Wider platform, no useless plates, din 12, all 99% of us will ever need.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Have a buddy who got one of these things. They are impressive had a chance to see them in action, dynafit really came up with some great ideas. They multiple release points and binding security they provide is super cool. You do need to install a special piece on your boot heel. Price obviously needs to come down but props to dynafit for really designing something from the ground up.

Sent from my HTC One X using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    ...emphasis on refining, reinforcing, and simplifying the Radical design. Wider platform, no useless plates, din 12, all 99% of us will ever need.
    Indeed. I ain't paying $1000 for these. I think I mentioned earlier, if they come out with a cheaper DIN 12 version I might be interested.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Hugh Conway Guest
    It means people who already embrace the tech binding for what it is, not what it was never meant to be.
    A euro-butt wiggle touring binding? It was never "meant" to be a fat ski rockin' binding.

Have at it though, I just don't understand why someone would pay a grand to lug an 1800 gram tech binding uphill when the only real advantage of tech bindings in the first place was it's light weight. Just not feeling the love from the product developers, wish there was as much emphasis on refining, reinforcing, and simplifying the Radical design. Wider platform, no useless plates, din 12, all 99% of us will ever need.
    Because you have a much lower friction pivot point, a better placed pivot point and your not lifting the heel piece with each step, so its going to tour like it weighs a hell of a lot less when you compare it to a slightly heavier marker.

I think this is a big step in the right direction, but I got a lot of concerns about how its executed.... they missed the boat on Keep It Simple Stupid.

For everyone that claims a tech binding cant hold there 200lb ass in, well, you need to work on your ski technique. I way 200lbs add in my ski gear and a 50+ lbs of camera gear multiplied by 200 or so days on snow, I've never had a major issue with any of my dynafit bindings, and have had a lot less issues with them then any other touring rig I've owned. They are way more durable than the dukes.

The big issues with Dynafits in my mind is that there a pain if your constantly getting in and out of them, I.E. resort skiing. Otherwise they are perfectly bomber for skiing a resort in my mind. Besides if Hoji can rock them, there more the adequate, as he is a way better skier than 99.99% of this message board.

The other issue is that 99.99% of the time when some one has a pre-release with techbinders is that they dont have the toe pins fully engaged due to snow or ice in the toe pin holes. Seems to me it would be an easy solution to help prevent if there was a color band on the pins or the toe lever to help you notice if your fully engaged or not.

Finally, lets face it, the biggest issue with all techbindings is the utter lack of beefy boots that are compatbile with them. I still have not found a true 130 flex boot that skis as well as an alpine shell, has a legit tour mode, doesnt weigh a shit ton and fits my wide ass feet.

Do you need 35" tires, front and rear diff lockers, a winch and an 8" lift? No. You probably only need a 1988 blue subaru. But damn, it sure is nice to have all those nifty toys on your truck when you get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Point is, you lug all that around 99.9% of the time for no reason at all only for those moments when shit hits the fan.

99.9% of the time most, in fact, would likely be better off with a FT12 or similar. Lighter, cheaper, been around forever. That said, the huge advantage to this binding, and I'm speculating, is the DIN release is likely to be more consistent and the binding sports elastic travel. This means the binding should hold up to in bounds skiing no problem but more importantly it could save a few knees. (no more locking out the toe...)

So yeah, you don't need it that often, but when you do...you (and your ACL) sure are glad you have it.

Hugh Conway Guest
    DIN 16 won't save your ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    DIN 16 won't save your ACL.
    Did I miss something that says it has to be skied at 16? (seriously, I haven't read this whole thing...)

I'm not reading this whole thing.
    $1000, no toe release adjustment, have to mod/retrofit boots, new mounting pattern, etc etc.
    Does knee safety and backcountry skiing not go together?
    Next.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

i've lined up a follow up interview with the Dynafit enginerd.

When i get a chance i'll try to find a DIN testing machine in Whistler to get this thing checked out. Anyone got one?

Keep moaning and asking questions. I'll accumulate them and try to get them answered.

and tone - you're on crack about needing wider binding mounts but I still love you.

If you needed a bit more than an FT12, couldn't a hands on person throw in a stronger spring? They should be easy to find online. The numbers would be off, but they are not DIN anyways.

Lee, all due respect but you don't know what we do around here. It's not the Coast Range for starters, I could tell you all about it but I'll spare you the hideous gory details. I actually think that for the skiing I do on the skis I want to do it on, I want a wider, simple tech binding with the power towers and a burlier heel piece and no "damper plates". I can certainly survive without it, but we are talking "the next best thing" so I think that is the next logical direction for dynafits to go.

Lee, think about it, putting a pair of speed radicals on a Squad 7 or a Praxis Protest is like running a 2.5 tire on a narrow cross country rim. When the going gets rough, things are going to get squirrley. I believe that future product testing and developement will bear this out as skis and bindings continue to evolve. It's certainly gotta have more of an affect on the ride than the stiffener plate that weighs almost a half a pound a pair.

I actually agree almost 100% with everything Gunder said, except the part about boots but I don't weigh as much as he does so my Radiums are fine for me. Yeah there is a small benefit for a few people with this binding and I am happy for them. I just wish there was some progress on a larger benefit for allotta people. I don't really care though, first world problems, I hope it solves someones.

Lee, think about it, putting a pair of speed radicals on a Squad 7 or a Praxis Protest is like running a 2.5 tire on a narrow cross country rim. When the going gets rough, things are going to get squirrley. I believe that future product testing and developement will bear this out as skis and bindings continue to evolve. It's certainly gotta have more of an affect on the ride than the stiffener plate that weighs almost a half a pound a pair.
    I've got speed radicals on some ON3P billygoats. Sent a 20' yesterday to dust on hardpack, crust coral reef shit. Never got squirrly on me. In fact I had my weight way too forward and plowed my chest right into my knees so hard I got whiplash from it - hurtin this morning. I thought I was about to scorpion my face into my skis but the bindings stayed on, stomped it and skied through the coral reef like a champ - again, no locked toes. If I can do that kind of shit on em, I just don't see how peope can't get the current dynafits to work for them. Might have to dial it back and not huck to hardpack if your 200+lbs, but it can't be that hard to just say no and wait for the soft stuff. Maybe I'm being suicidal in my testing, but shit, I'm super impressed - one of the hardest impacts i've ever had. And if you need a burly boot, give the Cochise 130 a try. Been happy with that too.

Lee, all due respect but you don't know what we do around here. It's not the Coast Range for starters, I could tell you all about it but I'll spare you the hideous gory details. I actually think that for the skiing I do on the skis I want to do it on, I want a wider, simple tech binding with the power towers and a burlier heel piece and no "damper plates". I can certainly survive without it, but we are talking "the next best thing" so I think that is the next logical direction for dynafits to go.

The binding/ski interface is fine as-is. Wider will not provide any actual benefit. Maybe it makes you feel better but it's all in your head.

I won't be buying these (at least for a season or two - and hopefully they come out with a simpler 12-DIN version) but happy to see the tech binding progressing a bit towards something that could potentially be a one-binding.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I love how you guys bitch about price but you probably also own multiple pairs of bindings that cost you way more than a grand.

Being in my early 20's and coming out from the park scene these really appeal me although maybe not right now. I just got a pair of rad ft 12's for my self and have been super impressed but im still hesitant. It's going to take some time trusting a 12 din release for me ( and took well over a year of internet reading before i even got them ) whereas a 16 would inspire more confidence off the bat. From what i hear il'l be able to send a few 30's at speeds and not have the toes locked ( limping today due to skiing with the toes locked ) but my first tech, my first few tours and the look of them i think my skepticism needs to be disproved through usage.

Moving away from a tray binding is the obvious advantage, im not sure how this is being missed by some mags here. Either way if this is bust or a winner i really like where the R&D funds are going. This product is geared to 5% of mags and 95% of newschoolers bc jib kids, like me.
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    I love how you guys bitch about price but you probably also own multiple pairs of bindings that cost you way more than a grand.
    I see this is the biggest advantage. A quiver of one. I can have one set of skis rolling around in the back of my truck, go where ever I want and not have to worry about adjusting myself to different gear depending on what I'm doing that day.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Terrain park tricks are making their way into the backcountry and backcountry gear is making it's way into the ski areas.
    This is what's happening here...
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    I see this is the biggest advantage. A quiver of one. I can have one set of skis rolling around in the back of my truck, go where ever I want and not have to worry about adjusting myself to different gear depending on what I'm doing that day.
    I'm excited to hear your feedback. If it's good enough for you, it's prolly good enough for me.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Funny enough: Out of 2500 being made for sale, 400 are supposedly heading to Norway. Tells you where the real gear whores live...
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I won't be buying these (at least for a season or two - and hopefully they come out with a simpler 12-DIN version) but happy to see the tech binding progressing a bit towards something that could potentially be a one-binding.
    +1

Lee, i like the direction they're going wrt elasticity but i don't weight enough for 6 - 16 DIN! Also unless i'm missing something about how the toe piece release functions, i'd like to see a adjustable DIN setting there too.