Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Beefing up a stripped down AT binding design huh? Let's not forget the G3 Onyx...
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Not that I don't think this binding looks cool and all but it looks like bleeding edge technology for at least a year or 2 , I'm going to let you guys work it out 1st

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    Anyone with info on how to get on the list pm me. This needs a paper template, insert screw kit, a swap plate, and most importantly to be skied by me. Asap.
    Other than to ski it wouldn't the 16din full realease eliminate the need for you entirely?

Lee does locking the toe into tour mode somehow also lock out this toe "elasticity" which appears to be whole toe rotating.

It must do surely?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Other than to ski it wouldn't the 16din full realease eliminate the need for you entirely?
    Maybe for some people, plates will become obsolete but inserts will always be useful (even if it's just to swap the Beast across setups). But I love clicking into the all-metal Pivot/FKS, and I suspect that won't change.

$1000 price tag is harsh, but doable if you use inserts. The more pressing question is their durability and reliability.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Good for the big guys, I guess, but for $1000, I'll pass. At 165lbs, I picked up a pair of speed radicals for 360$ this year to see how far I can push em. Toes unlocked, I've been sending 20'-30' cliffs at speed, and a few 10-15' to hardpack. Quite a bit of mogul days too, including gs-style-skip-a-few. Pretty impressed so far. I think most would be surprised what the 'originals' are capable of, if they actually ever gave them a shot.

Is the 923g weight per pair, or per binding? Pretty impressive weight if per pair.
    The usual Dynafit quote is per binding. And look at it, that is never going to be sub 1k per pair - it's a huge mutha.

Plum Phatboy is listed for $819 at Bent Gate. So the price tag of the Beast 16, while hard to swallow, seems to be in a comparable range for other "beefy" tech options.

Video in Norwegian:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=449573271775268

No flat touring mode, though apparently almost flat..
    Toe "elasticity" locks out in touring mode.
    Not compatible with TLT5.
    Metal part to mount on heel of boots delivered with binding, should be possible to mount on non-dynafit boots as well?

edit: link fixed
    Cold water stoke

I think most would be surprised what the 'originals' are capable of, if they actually ever gave them a shot.
    Yep. The higher DIN of the Beast might not actually be necessary for most, but if it convinces them to get a tech fit setup then it's done it's job.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Dynafit ought to ASAP get a pair of those to a 250 lb. 50+ touring days per season oldtimer tourist
    WTH do you need a heavy ass DIN 16 binder for? You wouldn't even hit the waterfall.

OTOH, these look like the ticket for my Wailers.

ETA - if they come out with a DIN 12 version for $600 I might get sucked in. Pretty leery of the no-flat-tour mode thing though and wondering how easy/hard the heel risers are to manipulate.

Touring on flats with heel risers up sucks, no matter what the ROM of your boots. Creates weird angulations at the ankle and still uses more quad muscles than it should Like trying to walk around on tip-toes.

The main reason I hated the Onyx was because the heel risers are a total PITA to manipulate with a ski pole. That and the brakes often would spring out in tour mode. And the stupid push-down-to-release toe mechanism.
    Last edited by Chainsaw_Willie; 01-11-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Absolutely nothing on that which could break.

Lee, if Powder doesn't manage to break those I'm coming up to put some wear and tear into them for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    WTH do you need a heavy ass DIN 16 binder for? You wouldn't even hit the waterfall.
    Will, I've skied the waterfall. Just didn't seem the smart thing to do That Day.

I don't need anything more than I've got, but the increased elasticity would make a better tourable primarily lift-served rig than Dukes, etc.

Is the 923g weight per pair, or per binding? Pretty impressive weight if per pair.
    Per binding, according to Lou D.

Will, I've skied the waterfall. Just didn't seem the smart thing to do That Day.

I don't need anything more than I've got, but the increased elasticity would make a better tourable primarily lift-served rig than Dukes, etc.
    Agreed. just yanking your chain, man. Like I said, these would be great for my Wailers, then I wouldn't need plates or inserts and a set of Barons.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Exciting possibilities . . . look forward to more info and on snow demo reviews. I have only been waiting for 20 years for this so I can wait a little longer to see if lives up to the hype . . . and to make sure durability is not a question.

Ugly? Who cares. Do they function and do they do what they say they do? Can I finally tour and ski the way I want to without having to dial it back or schlep dukes into the bc? The Beast will weigh in somwhere along the lines at 1846 grams per pair?; vs. 2780 for dukes? And touring - there will be no comparison?!

$1000 bucks - ouch! Can you say group buy? Anyone? Here is one guy hoping it delivers.

What is Plum and LaSportiva working on? If this delivers it is a game changer! Will be interesting to see their answer. Exciting times for the freeride skier!!!
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    If this delivers it is a game changer!
    Or not. 99% of tours by 99% of tourists go just fine with current (or better yet, discontinued) tech binding models. Nonetheless, per Will, these would be better than current offerings for a rig to use for both lift-served and for touring. And for guys like Jeff R

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    To be clear. It's not a demo set for public consumption. It's just for you
    You will probably want an EC product tester too!?

Or not. 99% of tours by 99% of tourists go just fine with current (or better yet, discontinued) tech binding models. Nonetheless, per Will, these would be better than current offerings for a rig to use for both lift-served and for touring. And for guys like Jeff R
    Not for those of us 200 lbs plus. Have not found a low tech binding yet that I have not broken or pre-released from. Plum for me is the closest so far. Different niche/user imho? Light touring vs freeride?!

Us Clydes can put a hurt on these. I can even gain some weight if need be.
    watch out for snakes

You will probably want an EC product tester too
    Why?...........
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hugh Conway Guest
    Not for those of us 200 lbs plus. Have not found a low tech binding yet that I have not broken or pre-released from. Plum for me is the closest so far. Different niche/user imho? Light touring vs freeride?!
    Steve's >200lbs I believe. So am I. Sorry, don't believe for a second that these won't eventually break as well.

Way off. I'm over 250 geared up never had a problem with my Dynafits.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Way off. I'm over 250 geared up never had a problem with my Dynafits.
    Hmmm. Maybe the sweet spot here will be the Beast toe on a more standard heel with the new pins interface.......
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Hmmm. Maybe the sweet spot here will be the Beast toe on a more standard heel with the new pins interface.......
    Why have the heel pins at all with the new toe (that releases by pivoting?)?

Not for those of us 200 lbs plus.
    FTR, I'm 240-255 lbs. stark naked, 250-290 lbs. geared up, i.e., the perfect product tester for these new bindings. [/hint]