Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I need beasts for my 114 waisted gunsmokes, but only have the choice between 105 and 135. I'm inclined to go with 105 based on the above.
    Thoughts?
    I'm in the same situation. 115 waist and 105 brakes. Get back when I check on the shop guy. A 120 would be ideal tho and I'm still looking

Just finished installing the beast horseshoe inserts on a pair of Salomon Mtn Labs, and they don't fit perfectly. The horseshoe ends up being 1mm-ish taller than the plastic on the heel itself. Anyone else experience this on other boots? And if so, any experiences using them that way? And even better; have you used them in alpine bindings?

I checked how the inserts fit on my Cochise Pro Lights, and there they ended up sitting 1mm-ish below the edge of the plastic.

Haven't found any good pictures on the interwebz, except from retrofitted Dynafit boots where they seem to fit perfectly......

Off topic, might deserve its own thread...anyone else considering a beast 16 or 14 toe with the kingpin heel? Admittedly the beast toe seems better than the kingpin toe and the kingpin heels seems far less of a PITA than the beast. Wonder if that would work...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Off topic, might deserve its own thread...anyone else considering a beast 16 or 14 toe with the kingpin heel? Admittedly the beast toe seems better than the kingpin toe and the kingpin heels seems far less of a PITA than the beast. Wonder if that would work...
    Don't see why it wouldn't, except for my wallet....

Try it and find out.

Years ago we mated a Silvretta SL heel with a Voile tele release toe using a 3pins instead of the cable plate. After the experimentation phase, ie figuring out the release values that worked together it was great. Skied that rig for 20 years or so.
    watch out for snakes

I think the king-beast would be the ultimate setup. Having fondled the kingpin heel, I wonder if the angle of rotation at the toe would impact the heels forward pressure adjustment.

Maybe the 2.0 toes will be available on their own at some point.

That would be one expensive setup and what to do with the castoff pinbeast.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Just finished installing the beast horseshoe inserts on a pair of Salomon Mtn Labs, and they don't fit perfectly. The horseshoe ends up being 1mm-ish taller than the plastic on the heel itself. Anyone else experience this on other boots? And if so, any experiences using them that way? And even better; have you used them in alpine bindings?

I checked how the inserts fit on my Cochise Pro Lights, and there they ended up sitting 1mm-ish below the edge of the plastic.

Haven't found any good pictures on the interwebz, except from retrofitted Dynafit boots where they seem to fit perfectly......
    Mine sit above and function just fine.

I've given that some thought yes but discarded it cause of the actual pricetag... But yes, beast 16 toe with Kingpin heel seems like the perfect way to go yes =)

Hey collective! Probably in this thread somewhere. Did you know that there are 2 different din adjustments on the beast heel? Did you also totally miss that? Yes? That's why you double eject every time you hit a rail! Your insert is set at 11, but your heel pins are at 6 or possibly even zero.

So...there's that. I bet the beasts will survive the next rail I hit now that I've looked at the heel piece carefully.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449382638.363281.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	172942

See how there are (count em) 2 sets of numbers on the heel? You have to set them both. Upper one sets spring tension on the metal power heel insert (engineers back me up?) and the lower one sets tension on the pins that go into the standard dynafit heel.

Only took a full season of ejections in bounds to figure that out.

Better late than never. If you've been struggling with yours, check the heels.

One is for vertical release one for lateral release. Just like most (90%) every tech binding on the market today... Jerry is that you, rockin the 16 din beasts set on 6?

See how there are (count em) 2 sets of numbers on the heel? You have to set them both. Upper one sets spring tension on the metal power heel insert (engineers back me up?) and the lower one sets tension on the pins that go into the standard dynafit heel.

Only took a full season of ejections in bounds to figure that out.

Better late than never. If you've been struggling with yours, check the heels.
    How on earth did you not know that? Or did a shop which set it up screw it up? If you screwed it up then *shake head* holy shit

It was all me. Blond moments. But I'll remount on a chicken test when that gets built in January.

It was all me. Blond moments.......

Anyone else experiencing massive heel slop? My tower is wiggling off the base plate from side to side. Sent a video to dynafit last week and hope to hear back soon.

Anyone had similar experiences or have any DIY solutions for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    Anyone else experiencing massive heel slop? My tower is wiggling off the base plate from side to side. Sent a video to dynafit last week and hope to hear back soon.

Anyone had similar experiences or have any DIY solutions for this one?
    yes. same same.
    curious to hear about some solutions.

my experience with Dynafit warranty services (toe piece issues) was VERY good though. they were super quick to respond and resolve.

I should say that I'm huge and eventually break everything. The Beasts have handled admirably, and certainly better than any tech binding I've tried (which, to be fair is only the FT12 and the G3 onyx - neither of which worked at all for me), and much better than guardians or dukes for me; both of which just flat out broke when they shouldn't have.

I'm seriously considering doing the beast-toe/kingpin-heel thing at some point though...

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    yes. same same.
    curious to hear about some solutions.

my experience with Dynafit warranty services (toe piece issues) was VERY good though. they were super quick to respond and resolve.

I should say that I'm huge and eventually break everything. The Beasts have handled admirably, and certainly better than any tech binding I've tried (which, to be fair is only the FT12 and the G3 onyx - neither of which worked at all for me), and much better than guardians or dukes for me; both of which just flat out broke when they shouldn't have.

I'm seriously considering doing the beast-toe/kingpin-heel thing at some point though...
    Had toe issues as well and they were taken care of with stellar customer service.

Interesting. I'm 155 lbs and not the raddest dude on the mountain by a long shot and my shit still breaks.

Just heard back from dynafit saying that based on the video it's a "normal amount of play that comes with use" and the binding is still fine. Hate to bitch on the internet but I'm not entirely stoked on this response.

Anyone got any DIY solutions on this one?

A toe piece issue on my Beast 16's set me off on a one ski posthole party out of the backcountry today..... I have so far put about 15 days on them and have no issues. Today I was touring and when I went to click in to my ski the binding would not engage on the toe pice. When I looked, the grey lever that is normally up when the toe is open which is triggered by the boot's toe to close the toe piece was down and I could not pull it back up. I thought it was ice and thoroughly cleaned the binding out... it seems that the other end of the "toe lever" ends in two metal prongs which push up on two complimentary prongs for the toe box adjust lever. when this second set of prongs is elevated it relases the whole contraption and happy happy sking ensues. However it seems that somehow the two pairs of prongs have switched places and now the toe lever prongs sit above the toe box adjust prongs. This is why I cannot push the toe lever back up and obviously there is no way to engage the toe cause the toe box adjust prongs are being blocked in the equal and opposite manner. I cannot find a way to change their orientation to allow them to slide past each other and back into the correct place at present. I will be in contact with Dynafit but am wondering if anybody else has seen or heard of this (I appologize for the vague descriptives but it is kind of hard to describe and a picture wouldn't help a huge amount cause it is very internal). My concern at this point is.... so great I get a new toe piece and all is well but what if it happens agian, and I am not at the top of a run but at the bottom of a line I have to re ascend.... anyways, bitching aside any opinons or insight would be appreciated.

Did you try using your pole tip as a lever to get the piece up? That may sound like a stupid question but it can be hard to get that piece up sometimes when its stuck.

I levered it on it quite hard to the point I was getting concerned; did that both on the mountain and back at home. Although stacked in the wrong sequence the pairs of prongs I was referring to are quite solid, they dont really deflect under load to one side or the other and I cant manipulate elastic flex into them with pliers or other tools so I am at a loss for how they slipped in the first place.

Actually managed to get a picture and used paint to help..... the yellow arrow points to the toe lever prong and the red arrow points to the toe box adjust prong..... the red is below the yellow... they are supposed to be the other way around

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0033.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	328.5 KB 
ID:	173713

wow - thanks for putting up the picture. I couldn't figure out what you were saying before without the visuals. Looked at my pair. They're the other way around as compared to your shot. Like you said i can't figure out how they could be reserved without a hell of a lot of force

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    wow - thanks for putting up the picture. I couldn't figure out what you were saying before without the visuals. Looked at my pair. They're the other way around as compared to your shot. Like you said i can't figure out how they could be reserved without a hell of a lot of force
    Yeah, the really odd thing is that it was just stepping out to transition....

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    They fit that way on my Lupo's as well.
    Works like a charm in beasts(doh!), solly's, kingpins, radicals and a bunch of rental-bindings at a skitest.
    fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    They fit that way on my Lupo's as well.
    Works like a charm in beasts(doh!), solly's, kingpins, radicals and a bunch of rental-bindings at a skitest.
    fwiw.
    Ok. thanks. I ended up grinding the edge down, looks and feels great now. May not matter, but gives me peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    Honestly the beasts feel closer to any alpine binding than any touring binding that has existed. Next to no difference between beasts and 916s. Perhaps the beasts transfer more shitty snow interference into your feet but that is debatable. The one and only question mark for me is will my beasts last 5 seasons like my last pair of 916s did? Season one is good so far.
    I bought them. This was why. If he can ski them confidently my fat unelegant ass should survive.

Anybody have any play in the heel piece between the rails and the heel unit itself?

I guess new for $530 Cdn peso's I shouldn't be complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.